重点讲解
1. worship:热爱;爱慕,崇拜(尤指达到看不到缺点的地步)
eg. She worships her children.
她极度疼爱自己的儿女。
2. mystical:神秘的;不可思议的;难以解释的
eg. Watching the sun rise over the mountain was an almost mystical experience.
看着太阳爬上山冈,这几乎是一种难以言传的体验。
对话部分
Emma: You know an awful lot about this town for being a stranger.
作为外人 你未免太了解这镇子了。
The writer:And you know very little for being the sheriff.
而作为警长 你了解的太少了。
Emma: How do you know all this? You've been here before?
你如何知道这些的 你之前来过吗?
The writer:I know all of this for one very simple reason.
我知道这些的原因很简单。
The writer:I read the plaque.
我看了那块石碑。
Emma: You actually believe that?
你真的相信这个吗?
The writer:I'm a writer. I have to have an open mind.
我是个作家 我得虚怀若谷。
Emma: Yeah, but magic?
没错 但是相信魔法吗?
The writer:Water is a very powerful thing. Cultures as old as time have worshipped it.
水是很强大的东西 自有文明以来 人们就崇拜它了。
The writer:It flows throughout all lands, connecting the entire world. If anything had mystical properties, if anything had magic, well, I'd say it'd be water.
它流经所有土地 连接了整个世界 如果说什么东西有神秘力量 或者魔力 那一定是水。
Emma: That's asking a lot to believe on faith.
你要我相信的东西可真多。
The writer:If you need evidence for everything, Emma, you're gonna find yourself stuck in one place for a long time.
如果你做任何事都需要证据 艾玛 你会发现自己一直困在原地。
Emma: Maybe. Or maybe I'll just find the truth before anyone else.
也许吧 也或许我能赶在其他之前找到真相。
The writer:Well, Ms. Skeptic, there's one thing I can tell you for sure that requires no leap of faith, and I know you'll agree with me.
"怀疑"女士 我能很确定地告诉你一件事 用不着你放"心"一搏 而且我确定你会赞成。
The writer:What's that?
是什么?
Emma: It's good water.
水很好喝。