重点讲解
1. be sb's strong suit:为某人所长
eg. I'm afraid geography is not my strong suit.
恐怕地理不是我的强项。
2. discreet:(言行)谨慎的,慎重的,考虑周到的
eg. He was always very discreet about his love affairs.
他对两性关系一贯谨小慎微。
对话部分
Man: August W. Booth.
奥古斯特·W·布兹。
Emma: Really? With the middle initial?
是嘛 中间名还搞缩写?
Man: W's for Wayne.
W是韦恩的缩写。
Man: So there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work.
这下你没借口下班后不在这里和我见面了吧。
Margaret:Who was that?
他是谁?
Emma: I don't know yet.
我还不清楚。
Margaret:"Yet"? So you're going to find out?
"还" 那你是打算去查了?
Emma: It's nothing.
没什么事。
Margaret:Nothing with you means something, because if it were nothing, we wouldn't be talking about it.
你说没事就是 有事要是真没事的话 我们就不会讨论它了。
Emma: I'm sorry. I thought you called me here to talk about you.
抱歉 我以为你约我来这 是要说你自己的事。
Margaret:Yeah, but talking about you is easier right now.
是的 但现在说你的事比较轻松。
Emma: What is it? What's going on?
怎么了 发生了什么?
Margaret:Remember when you told me to stay away from David and I agreed?
还记得你劝我离戴维远点 而我也同意了吗?
Emma: Yes.
是的。
Margaret:I didn't.
我没这么做。
Emma: Yeah, I know.
我知道。
Margaret:You do? How?
你知道 是怎么知道的?
Emma: Because I'm sheriff, and you are a lovesick schoolteacher.
因为我是警长 而你是个陷入苦恋的教师。
Emma: Covering your tracks is not exactly your strong suit.
隐藏行迹并不是你的强项。
Margaret:Well, I've been discreet... discreet.
我已经很... 很谨慎了。
Emma: Two teacups in the sink, new perfume, late nights, plunging necklines It was not hard to connect the dots.
水槽里的一对茶杯 新香水 晚归家 穿低领 把这些线索串联起来没什么难的。
Margaret:Plunging?
低领?
Emma: When I met you, you were a top button kind of girl.
初遇你时 你可是个高领女孩。
Margaret:Why didn't you say anything?
那为何你什么都没说?
Emma: I'm not your mother.
我可不是你妈。
Margaret:No. According to Henry, I'm yours.
是啊 在亨利看来 我可是你妈。
Emma: I just figured that you would let me know when it was time.
我只是觉得 时候到了 你自会告诉我。
Emma: I'm assuming it's time.
我想是时候了。