原文
详解

Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and a political science professor.

旁白:请听一段学生和政治学教授之间的对话。

Student: I’m not sure if you know but I was elected to go to the student government this year.

学生:我不清楚您知不知道,我今年被选去学生会了。

Teacher: Oh, congratulations!

老师:哦,恭喜恭喜!

I was in student government myself as an undergraduate.

我读大学的时候就是学生会的一员。

It taught me a lot about the political process.

它教给我很多关于政治事务的事情。

In fact, the experience solved my problem of what to do with my life.

实际上,这段经历帮我解决了未来的人生中要做什么的问题。

It really cemented my interest in becoming a political scientist.

它确实坚定了我变成政治学者的兴趣。

Student: Cool!

学生:好酷啊!

Anyway, the reason I came by is we are getting ready to conduct a straw poll on campus, you know, hold an informal vote since the general election is just a couple of months away.

无论如何,我来找您的理由是我们正在为大学里的非正式民意测验做准备,你知道,就是在大选几个月之前先举行一个非正式的投票。

We wanna get a feel for the students' body's political leanings, like who students are planning to vote for, which political party people identify with, that sorta thing.

我们想了解一下学生群体的政治倾向,就像是学生们打算投哪些人呀,哪个政治团体大家比较认同,这样的事情。

Teacher: Oh, sure.

老师:当然。

I helped students run the straw poll once years ago. Uh, it was a lot of work.

我几年前帮助学生举办了一次这种非正式民意测验。工作非常繁重。

Mostly because we used paper ballots, and stayed up all night counting them.

主要是因为我们用纸质的选票,然后需要熬夜去统计得票数。

But if you use computers...

但是如果你们用计算机的话……

Student: Yeah, we are creating a website for it where students will be able to vote online.

学生:是的,我们在搭建一个可以让学生在线投票的网站。

Em, we are looking for a faculty advisor to help, actually.

嗯,实际上,我们在寻找可以为我们提供帮助的指导教师。

I was hoping you might be interested.

我希望您对这个项目有兴趣。

Teacher: Oh, I’m flattered, John.

老师:哦,我太荣幸了,约翰。

But my schedule is so jammed.

但是我的日程已经排得满满的了。

I’m teaching two seminars, your intro-course, finishing up my research.

我正在教着两个研讨班,还有你们的导论课程,再加上我还得完成研究。

But, what about Professor Clan?

但是,你觉得克兰教授怎么样?

She is new in our department.

她是我们系新来的教授。

Plus, she is a wiz with computers.

另外,她可是计算机小能手。

Student: Ok, I will ask her.

学生:好的,我去问问她。

Teacher: So, have you decided on the topic for your term paper yet?

老师:所以,你决定你的学期论文的题目了吗?

Student: Not really.

学生:还没呢。

Teacher: Why not write about your straw poll?

老师:为什么不写一下你的非正式民意测验呢?

Since the paper is not due till after the election, you could include your results.

因为你的论文直到选举结束后才交,你可以把你的结果包含进去。

Maybe compare them with the real election results.

或许把它们和真正的选举结果相比较。

Student: But would that be enough?

学生:但是这就足够了吗?

I mean, just comparing numbers?

我的意思是,就仅仅做一个数字上的比较?

Teacher: Well, no, you need to provide some analysis, too.

老师:不够,你还需要分析一下。

But I was thinking, there is a couple of local ballot questions this year.

但是我在想,今年当地的投票涉及到了几个问题。

You know, referenda, the voters can either support or not support?

你知道,全民公决的时候,投票者既可以支持也可以反对吧?

Student: Right. There is one on whether to ban smoking in restaurants, and another one...

学生:对的。有个问题是在餐馆应不应该禁烟,还有一个……

I think it's whether to spend tax dollars for a new sports arena in the city.

我记得是应不应该花纳税人的钱在城市里新建一个体育竞技场。

Teacher: Ah, Ok. Here is an idea.

老师:啊,好的。我是这样想的。

In regular elections, the vast majority of voters ignore referenda.

在普通的大选里,大多数的投票人会无视全民公决。

They vote for their favorite candidates but avoid ballot questions.

他们就是为自己最喜欢的候选人投票,但是会忽视投票上的问题。

We believe it's because voters aren’t familiar with the questions or don’t understand them.

我们相信这是因为投票者对于这些问题不熟悉,或者是不理解它们。

But actively educating people on ballot questions right before they vote can improve referendum participation rates.

但是如果我们在选民们投票之前积极地教育他们的话,这可以增进全民公投的参与率。

Student: In that case, maybe we could have our straw poll website provide information on the ballot questions, like how each proposal would affect students.

学生:这种情况下,也许我们就可以让我们的非正式民意测验为投票的问题提供信息,就好像每一个提议会如何影响学生一样。

Teacher: Exactly.

老师:说得很准确。

And when you write your paper, you could compare the students’ referendum voting rate to the general publics.

当写你的论文的时候,你可以对比学生在公投中的投票率和大众的投票率。

And include you own analysis of the results.

并且把你对于结果的分析包含进去。

Plus, there is plenty of publish research on referendum voting behavior.

另外,前人对于大众的公投行为分析有足够的研究。

Student: Thanks, Professor Miller.

学生:谢谢,米勒教授。

I have no idea this straw poll could actually help me in my course work.

我还真不知道非正式民意测验可以在我的学业上帮助我。

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
题目详解
反馈

题型分类:组织结构题

题干分析:referenda是题目定位点

选项分析:

题目解析:

professor讲到很多投票人会忽略了referenda,因此如果能提前教给人们的话,会增加选民的参与度,同时也建议学生把referenda的部分在自己的paper中进行分析和对比,因此对应B选项。

选项A:本文与男生是否参与投票无关;

选项C:原文没有体现出professor的怀疑的态度;

选项D:原文没有讲到professor自己在做的研究。

收藏
讨论

上一题

Official 51 Lec 4

下一题

Official 50 Lec 1
发送
取消
发表评论
发送

  • 回复
  • 复制
  • 删除

取消