Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and a theater professor.
旁白:请听一段学生和戏剧学教授之间的对话。
Student: Hi, Professor Johns.
学生:嗨,约翰教授。
Professor: Hey, didn't I see you at the performance of Crimes of the Heart last night?
教授:嘿,我好像在昨天的《芳心之罪》的演出上看到你了?
Student: Yeah. Actually my roommate had a small part in it.
学生:是的。实际上是我舍友在其中演了一个角色。
Professor: Really? I was impressed with the performance.
教授:真的吗?那场演出很是惊艳了我。
There sure are some talented people here.
的确有一些能人在表演。
What did you think?
你觉得呢?
Student: You know, Beth Henley is an okay playwright.
学生:你知道,贝斯·亨利是一个还可以的剧作家。
She has written some decent stuff, but it was a little too traditional, a little too ordinary, especially considering the research I'm doing.
她写了一些高大上的东西,但是就是有点太过传统了,有一点太过平常了,尤其是考虑到我正在做的研究。
Professor: Oh, what's that?
教授:哦,那是什么?
Student: On the Polish theater director Jerzy Grotowski.
学生:是一个关于波兰剧导演耶日·格洛托夫斯基的研究。
Professor: Grotowski. Yeah, that's a little out of the mainstream.
教授:格洛托夫斯基。他是有一点背离主流戏剧的特点。
Pretty experimental.
很具有实验性。
Student: That's what I wanted to talk to you about.
学生:这就是我想跟您说的。
I had a question about our essay and presentation.
我有一个关于我们的论文和演讲的问题。
Professor: Okay.
教授:问吧。
Student: Yeah. Some of these ideas, uh, Grotowski's ideas are really hard to understand.
学生:好的。有一些格洛托夫斯基的观点是很难理解的。
They are very abstract, philosophical.
它们很抽象,很有哲学性。
And, well, I thought the class would get more out of it if I acted out some of it to demonstrate.
而且,我觉得如果我通过演出他的戏剧来阐释它,我的同学可能更能理解。
Professor: Interesting idea.
教授:很有趣的主意。
And what happens to the essay?
那论文呢?
Student: Well, I will do the best I can with that, but supplement it with a performance.
学生:好吧,我在写论文上尽力了,别的要通过演出来补充。
You know, bring it to life.
你知道,让戏剧栩栩如生。
Professor: Alright. But what exactly are we talking about here?
教授:好的。但是我们现在在谈什么呢?
Grotowski, as I'm sure you know, had several phases in his career.
格洛托夫斯基,我肯定你是知道的,他的职业生涯可以被分成几个阶段。
Student: I'm mainly interested in his idea from the late 1960s: a poor theater.
学生:我主要是对于他20世纪60年代晚期的思想感兴趣:极简剧院。
You know, a reaction against a lot of props, light, fancy costumes, and all that.
你知道,这就是一个反对使用太多道具、灯光、华丽服装的运动。
So it would be good for the classroom.
所以这个对于我们要在教室里的演出很有用。
I wouldn't need anything special.
我不需要什么特别的东西。
Professor: Yes. I'm sure a lot of your classmates are unfamiliar with Grotowski.
教授:是的。我确信你的很多同学对于格洛托夫斯基并不熟悉。
This would be good for them.
这对于他们来说很好。
Student: Right. And this leads...I think there's overlap between his poor theater phase and another phase of his, when he was concerned with the relationship between performers and the audience.
学生:是的,这就会导致……我认为他的极简剧院时期和其它的时期有重叠,在他考虑到表演者和观众的关系的时候。
I also want to read more and write about that.
我也想对于这个多读一些材料,多写一些文章。
Professor: You know, I saw a performance several years ago.
教授:你知道,我几年前看过一场表演。
It really threw me for a loop.
真的很成功。
You know, you are used to just watching a play, sitting back, but this performance, borrowing Grotowski's principles, was really confrontational, a little uncomfortable.
你知道,我们已经习惯了单纯地看剧,坐在后排,但是这场演出,采用了格洛托夫斯基的原则,变成了带有一点对抗性的,稍微有一点让人不舒服。
The actors looked right in our eyes, even moved us around, involved us in the action.
演员会直接直视观众的眼睛,甚至在我们周围走动,把我们也卷入表演中。
Student: Yeah. I hope I can do the same when I perform for the class.
学生:是的。我希望我可以在给班级同学表演的时候也做到这样。
I'm a bit worried since the acting is so physical.
我有一点担心,因为这场表演动作很多。
That there's so much physical preparation involved.
有很多动作准备牵涉其中。
Professor: Well, some actors spend their whole lives working on this, so don't expect to get very far in a few weeks, but I'm sure you can bring a couple of points across.
教授:一些演员甚至花费一生来研究这种戏剧,所以不要期待在短短几周之内获得大的进展。但是我确信你还是可以发现一些的。
And if you need some extra class time, let me know.
如果你需要延长课程时间的话,就告诉我。
Student: No. I think I can fit it into the regular time for the presentation.
学生:不用。我觉得我可以在规定时间里完成。
Professor: Okay. I think this will provide for some good discussion about these ideas and other aspects of the audience and their relationship to theatrical productions.
教授:好的。我认为这个表演可以引发很好的讨论,关于观众及其与戏剧的关系的讨论。
题型分类:目的题
题干分析:why sb say (mention) sth目的题,根据a play several years ago定位
选项分析:定位a performance several years ago,教授说这场演出中The actors looked right in our eyes, even moved us around, involved us in the action. 也就是建议学生可以参考这种表演形式。
A选项的compare无中生有。
B选项的effective教授没有提到。
C选项教授只是在介绍Grotowski的另一个阶段,没有强调两个阶段的不同之处。
上一题
Official 40 Lec 4下一题
Official 39 Lec 1