Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and his anthropology professor.
旁白:请听一段学生和他的人类学教授之间的对话。
Professor: Well, Mathew. Good to see you.
教授:Mathew,很高兴见到你。
How can I help you?
有什么可以帮你的吗?
Student: Did you happen to read last weekend's art section of the newspaper?
学生:您有没有读过上周末报纸的艺术板块?
Professor: Yes, I did. Why?
教授:读过呀。怎么了?
Student: Well, you remember the article about an exhibition of ancient featherwork pieces from Peru?
学生:那您还记得,那篇关于秘鲁古代羽毛工艺品展览的文章吗?
I'm thinking of doing my research paper on this topic, if it's okay with you, of course.
我在想写一篇这方面的论文,当然如果您觉得也可以的话。
I've done some additional reading about ancient Peruvian cultures, how they used brightly colored feathers to decorate clothes and ceremonial objects.
我已经阅读了一些关于秘鲁文化的文章了,比如他们怎么使用亮色的羽毛去装饰衣服和仪式用品。
From the pictures I've seen, they are beautiful works of art.
我看了照片,它们是漂亮的艺术品。
Professor: They sure are.
教授:当然是了。
I saw the exhibition a few days ago.
我前几天去了展览。
But is that how you'd approach Peruvian featherwork in your paper?
但是这就是你要如何引入秘鲁羽毛工艺品的办法吗?
As an art form?
作为一种艺术形式?
Remember you need to take an anthropological angle.
记着,你需要从人类学角度来研究。
Uh, look at this in a way that tells us something about the people who made this featherwork and the societies they lived in.
嗯,通过一种可以告诉我们关于羽毛艺术品的制作者及其生活的社会的角度来看。
Student: Well, absolutely. I read that most of the really colorful feathers came from the rain forest and the societies who used them lived on the coast on the other side of the Andes Mountains, so the feathers had to be carried over the Andes.
学生:好吧,那是当然了。我读到大多数色彩缤纷的羽毛来自热带雨林,使用它们的人住在安第斯山脉另一边的海岸上,所以羽毛需要被带着翻越安第斯山脉。
No wonder featherwork was symbol of high status in ancient Peruvian societies.
这就不难想羽毛工艺品在古代秘鲁社会是高地位的象征。
Professor: That's definitely a long, dangerous trip to make on foot.
教授:这确实是一段长长的、充满危险的徒步旅行。
I do research down in Peru and I have made that trip, but the easy way.
我在秘鲁做过实地研究,走过这条路线,但是是最好走的一条路。
I've flown and driven.
我一路上是搭乘飞机以及开车的。
Student: I didn't know you did research in Peru.
学生:我不知道您在秘鲁做过研究。
Maybe...do you think you would be able to help me with this paper?
也许……您可以在这篇论文上帮帮我?
Professor: I'll be happy to help if I can, but Peruvian featherwork isn't my area of expertise.
教授:如果我可以的话我很乐意帮你,但是秘鲁羽毛工艺品不是我的专业领域。
You know, every few pieces of featherwork survive because feathers decay so quickly.
你知道,很少的羽毛工艺品可以存活至今,因为羽毛腐烂得太快了。
Not many people have had the chance to study them up close.
没有多少人有机会近距离研究它们。
There is a handful of experts out there who have, and I could try to contact some of them.
只有几个专家研究过,我可以试着联系他们。
But I think your best bet is to keep reading and finding more books and articles.
但是我觉得你最好的打算是继续大量阅读,找到更多的书籍和文章。
And of course you can use the information you got at the exhibition as source material too.
当然你也可以把展览上得到的信息用作原始材料。
You've been to the exhibition, haven't you?
你去过展览了吧,对吗?
Student: Uh, actually...not yet.
学生:呃……实际上,还没有。
Professor: Um...well, it would be a good idea if you went, don't you think?
教授:嗯……如果你过去看看的话,这应该是个好主意,你说呢?
It's good that you've done some background reading, but it will make more sense when you actually see the featherwork.
你做了一些背景知识阅读,这很好。但是你真正亲眼看到羽毛工艺品又是另一回事。
There's a lot of information available there from book lists, tour guides.
书本和旅游手册里有很多可用的知识。
And you could even ask to meet with the curator and ask for her insights.
你也可以申请面见馆长,来询问她的见解。
上一题
Official 38 Lec 4下一题
Official 37 Lec 1