原文
详解

Narrator: Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.

旁白:听一段学生和教授之间的对话。

Professor: Oh, hi, Melanie, how are you doing?

教授:哦,你好,梅兰妮,你好吗?

Student: I'm good. Thanks.

学生:我很好,谢谢。

I just have some questions about this paper for your class.

我对你这门课的这篇论文有些疑问。

Do you have a second to talk about it now?

你现在有空谈谈吗?

Professor: Oh, yes. No problem.

教授:哦,有的。没问题。

I have about twenty minutes before my next class.

在下一节课之前,我大约有二十分钟的时间。

Will that be enough time?

这点时间够吗?

Student: Yeah. I think so.

学生:哦。我觉得够了。

Okay. So the thing is, you know, okay, I'm writing my paper on the history of jazz in New York City.

好的。事情是这样的,我正在写的论文是关于纽约爵士的历史。

Professor: All right.

教授:好的。

Well, that's a pretty broad subject.

嗯,这是一个相当宽泛的主题。

Student: Well, actually I'm focusing on a specific decade, the 50s and on... and I'm only doing it on a few specific artists.

学生:其实我专注于一个特定的年代,50年代……而且我只着眼于一些特定的艺术家。

Professor: Oh, okay, because I was going to say that seemed a bit, uh, too ambitious for a ten-page paper.

教授:哦,好吧,因为我要说的是,对于一个10页的论文来说,似乎有点过于雄心勃勃了。

Student: Yeah, no, it's not the subject I'm having trouble with.

学生:确实,但这不是我遇到的问题。

Actually the paper is practically writing itself.

实际上这篇论文自己就完成了。(进展顺利)

I mean, I have got a lot to say and it's going pretty well.

我的意思是,我有很多话要说,而且进展顺利。

The thing is, I have this idea that might make it better and I was wondering if there's any way I could get an extension.

问题是,我有个想法,可能会使它更好,我想知道是否有任何方法可以得到延期。

I mean, I know it's due next week. Right?

我的意思是,我知道下星期就到期了。对吗?

Professor: That's right, on Monday.

教授:对,星期一。

But I don't understand.

但我不明白。

It sounds like you are doing so well.

听上去你做得很好。

Why do you need more time?

你为什么需要更多的时间呢?

Student: Yeah. Well, I could write the paper as it is and turn it in on time and it would be fine.

学生:是的。嗯,我可以就像现在这样完成这篇论文,然后如期交付,这样也可以。

Professor: But?

教授:但是?

Student: But I was just talking to one of my friends whose family has lived in New York forever!

学生:但我刚刚和我的一个朋友聊天,他们家一直住在纽约!

And it turns out that her grandfather was actually there, in the period of jazz I'm writing about.

事实上,她的祖父曾经生活在我写的爵士乐时期。

I mean, he was a jazz musician and he actually, like personally, knew the artists I'm writing about.

我的意思是,他是一个爵士音乐家,实际上他认识我正在写的艺术家。

Professor: You are kidding!

教授:你开玩笑吧!

That's a coincidence.

那真是巧啊。

Student: Yeah, I know, it's cool, right?

学生:是的,我知道,很酷,对吧?

So anyway, that's why I was wondering if I could get an extension because I thought it would be really great if I could like interview him for my paper.

所以,这就是为什么我无论如何想知道是否可以获准延期,因为我认为为了我的论文,如果我可以采访他,这将是非常棒的一件事。

Professor: Ah...

教授:呃……

Student: But I don't think I can meet with him until early next week.

学生:但是,我认为在下周初之前我是没法和他见到面的。

So...

所以……

Professor: Ah, I see.

教授:哦,我明白了。

Well. It would certainly add a new dimension to your paper, wouldn't it?

这肯定会为你的论文增加一个新的维度,对吧?

Have you talked to this gentleman yet?

你和这位先生谈过了吗?

Student: Uh, no, but I talked to my friend, just, you know, ran the idea past her and she said he would probably love to do it.

学生:呃,还没有,但是我和我的朋友谈过了,告诉她我的想法,她说他很乐意(接受我的采访)。

But you know, he is busy until next week.

但你知道,他要忙到下个星期才有空。

Professor: Okay. Well, yeah, I think that in this case we can definitely extend your deadline until, that's say, Friday next week?

教授:好的。我认为在这种情况下,我们可以延长你的截止日期,也就是说,下周五?

Student: Okay. That would be great!

学生:好的。这太好了!

Professor: But just to be fair, why don't you turn in an outline of your paper on the due date?

教授:为了公平起见,你可不可以在截止日期前把你论文的大纲写出来呢?

Student: The outline?

学生:大纲?

Oh, that's no problem.

哦,没问题。

It's basically done except for the parts about the interview.

基本上除了访问的部分以外都已经完成了。

Professor: Oh, yeah. The interview.

教授:哦,没错。访问。

Could you have the questions ready then too?

你能把采访的问题也准备好吗?

The ones you are planning on asking.

那些你打算问的问题。

Student: Sure! Yeah, I can do that too.

学生:当然!可以,我也能做到。

Professor: And then I'll expect the final draft next Friday.

教授:那我期待下周五的终稿。

Student: Okay. Great. Thanks!

学生:好的。太好了。谢谢!

Professor: Sure. I'm looking forward to reading it.

教授:好的。我期待着读到你的论文。

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
题目详解
反馈

题型分类: 细节题

题干分析: on the original due date是定位点。

选项分析:

professor说公平起见,要不你把outline交一下,也可以把你采访用到的问题也给我看看。所以,这道题的答案都是比较直接的,选择BC。

收藏
讨论

上一题

Official 49 Lec 2

下一题

Official 49 Lec 3
发送
取消
发表评论
发送

  • 回复
  • 复制
  • 删除

取消