首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑20 Test 2 Part 1
详解
原文
00:00
Question 1-10
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.

Help for carers

Local councils can arrange practical support to help those caring for elderly people at home.
This can give the carer:
• time for other responsibilities
• a  
Assessment of mother's needs
This may include discussion of:
• how much   the caring involves
• what types of tasks are involved, e.g.
− help with dressing
− helping her have a  
− shopping
− helping with meals
− dealing with  
• any aspects of caring that are especially difficult, e.g.
− loss of  
  her
− preventing a  
Types of support that may be offered to carers
• transport costs, e.g. cost of a  
• car-related costs, e.g. fuel and  
• help with housework
• help to reduce 10  

PART 1

CAROL: It's really good to see you, Tom.

卡萝尔:见到你真的很高兴,汤姆。

Since I had to give up work, I feel I'm losing touch with my friends and colleagues.

自从我不得不放弃工作以来,我感觉自己正在与朋友和同事失去联系。

TOM: We really miss you in the office – we were all so sorry you had to leave.

汤姆:我们在办公室真的很想念你 —— 你不得不离开,我们都很难过。

But you must be relieved to have more time to look after your mother. How is she?

但你一定松了一口气,因为有更多时间照顾你的母亲了。她怎么样?

CAROL: Well, she's very cheerful but she needs a lot of help.

卡萝尔:嗯,她很开朗,但她需要很多帮助。

TOM: Have you tried to get any support from the local council?

汤姆:你有没有试图从当地议会获得任何支持?

CAROL: No. I didn't know I could.

卡萝尔:没有。我不知道我能做到。

TOM: Yes, they offer different kinds of practical support.

汤姆:是的,他们提供了各种实际支持。

They realise that carers sometimes need time for all the other responsibilities they have apart from the person they're caring for, and also that they sometimes need a break.

他们意识到,照顾者有时需要时间来承担除照顾对象之外的其他所有责任,而且他们有时也需要休息。

CAROL: Absolutely. OK, so tell me more. How do I go about getting this support?

卡萝尔:当然。好吧,那么再多告诉我一些。我该如何获得这种支持呢?

TOM: Well, you'd have to have an assessment of your mother's needs.

汤姆:嗯,你需要对你母亲的需求进行评估。

That means someone would come round and talk to you about the situation and what you need.

这意味着会有人来跟你谈谈情况和你的需求。

So for a start they'd want to know the amount of time you spend looking after your mother every day.

首先,他们会想知道你每天花多少时间照顾你的母亲。

CAROL: OK.

卡萝尔:好的。

TOM: Then they'll probably ask you what sorts of tasks you do for your mother during the day.

汤姆:那么他们可能会问你白天都为母亲做了哪些事情。

Things like if she needs help with getting dressed, for example.

比如说,如果她需要帮忙穿衣服。

CAROL: Right. I help her with that, and also I help her get into the shower in the morning.

卡萝尔:好的,我会帮她做这些,我还会帮她早上洗澡。

TOM: Yes, that sort of thing.

汤姆:是的,就是那种事。

They'll probably ask you if you do the shopping for her, and help her at mealtimes.

他们可能会问你是否愿意帮她购物,以及在用餐时间帮忙。

And whether she can cope using money.

还有她是否能应付使用金钱。

CAROL: Yes, that's becoming a bit of a problem.

卡萝尔:是的,这确实变成了一个小问题。

She used to be very good at it, but not any more.

她以前很擅长这个,但现在不行了。

TOM: And be ready to tell them about anything you find particularly difficult about caring for your mother.

汤姆:准备好告诉他们任何你觉得特别困难的关于照顾你母亲的事情。

CAROL: So recently I've noticed she's started to have quite bad problems with her memory … if I wasn't there, I think she'd forget to eat, for example.

卡萝尔:最近我注意到她的记忆力开始出现相当严重的问题...... 比如,如果我不在场,我想她可能会忘记吃饭。

And often she doesn't seem quite sure what day it is.

而且她经常似乎不太确定今天是星期几。

TOM: Yes, tell them about that. And are there any physical difficulties you have caring for her? Lifting her, for example?

汤姆:是的,告诉他们这件事。你照顾她时有什么身体上的困难吗?比如说,举起她?

CAROL: Yes. She's quite heavy, and I'm afraid of hurting my back – I'd be in real trouble if that happened.

卡萝尔:是的。她很重,我担心会伤到背 —— 如果真的发生那种情况,我会遇到真正的麻烦。

TOM: They can give you advice about that, and also about how to avoid the possibility of your mum having a fall.

汤姆:他们可以给你一些建议,比如如何避免你妈妈摔倒的可能性。

CAROL: Great. So once they've done this assessment, if I'm eligible, what happens next?

卡萝尔:太好了。那么,一旦他们完成了这个评估,如果我符合条件,接下来会发生什么呢?

TOM: Well, they might support you financially.

汤姆:嗯,他们可能会在经济上支持你。

So they might help you with transport costs, like if you have to get a taxi to take your mother for an appointment, for example.

所以他们可能会帮你支付交通费用,比如说,如果你需要叫出租车送你母亲去赴约。

CAROL: I usually drive her myself actually. So could I claim for the petrol?

卡萝尔:实际上我通常自己开车送她。那么我能申请汽油费吗?

TOM: You could, and you can claim for the insurance too.

汤姆:你可以,你也可以申请保险。

CAROL: Oh, right.

卡萝尔:哦,好的。

TOM: And if you need help with the housework, they can arrange for someone to come along once or twice a week.

汤姆:如果你需要帮忙做家务,他们可以安排人每周来一两次。

And one other thing, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it's important you look after yourself, and it seems to me you're under quite a bit of stress.

还有一件事,我希望你不介意我这么说,但你要好好照顾自己,这很重要。在我看来,你似乎压力很大。

CAROL: I am, yes.

卡萝尔:是的。

TOM: Well, tell the council, because they may be able to give you some advice on how to minimise it.

汤姆:好吧,告诉委员会,因为他们可能会给你一些如何最小化压力的建议。

CAROL: Really? Though actually I feel so much better having talked to you.

卡萝尔:真的吗?不过说实话,和你谈过之后我感觉好多了。

I'll get in touch with the council straight away. Now shall we …

我马上就联系委员会。现在我们是不是......

上一题

剑20 Test 1 Part 4

下一题

剑20 Test 2 Part 2