CLARE: So can I talk through a possible procedure for the experiment where mice are given a sugar supplement?
克莱尔:那我能讨论一下小白鼠摄入糖分的可能的实验步骤吗?
JAKE: Sure. I did a similar experiment in college actually.
杰克:当然,我大学时做过一次类似的实验。
CLARE: Great. So how many mice would I need?
克莱尔:太好了。那么我需要多少只小白鼠?
JAKE: I'd say about 12. And all young ones, not a mixture of old and young.
杰克:大概12只,而且都是年轻的,不能老的和年轻的混合。
CLARE: OK. And I'd need two groups of equal sizes, so six in each group. And how would I tell them apart?
克莱尔:好的。我需要两组小白鼠,每组6只。那我要怎么区分它们呢?
I suppose I could put some sort of tag on one group . . . or just mark them in some way?
我想我可以给其中一组贴上标签,或者用某种方式标记?
JAKE: You could use food colouring, that wouldn't hurt them.
杰克:你可以用食用色素,这不会伤害他们。
CLARE: Perfect. Then each group would go into a separate cage, and one group, let's call them group A, would be the control group.
克莱尔:太好了。然后每组关在一个单独的笼子里 其中一组,我们叫它A组,作为对照组。
So they'd just have ordinary mouse food. I suppose you can buy that?
他们只吃普通的老鼠食物,你能买到吗?
JAKE: Yes, it comes in dry pellets.
杰克:可以,有干的颗粒。
CLARE: And the other group would have the same as the first group, but they'd also have the extra sugar.
克莱尔:另一组的食物和第一组一样,但有额外的糖。
JAKE: Would you just give them straight sugar?
杰克:你会直接给它们糖吃吗?
CLARE: It might be better to give them something like cereal with it.
克莱尔:也许给他们一些像麦片之类的东西会更好。
JAKE: Mmm. Then you'd need to weigh the mice, I should think once a week. And you'd need an electronic balance.
杰克:嗯。然后你得给小白鼠称体重,我想应该是一周一次。你需要一个电子天平。
CLARE: But we can't hold them on the balance, or it'd affect the reading.
克莱尔: 但是我们不能抓着它们放到天平上,否则会影响读数。
JAKE: Exactly. So you need something called a weighing chamber to stop the mice from running away.
杰克:没错,所以你需要一个叫称重室的东西,来防止小白鼠逃跑。
It sounds complicated, but actually you can just use a plastic box with holes in the top.
这听起来很复杂,但实际上你可以用一个顶部有洞的塑料盒子。
CLARE: OK. So once we've measured the weight gain of each mouse we can work out the average for each group, as well as the standard deviation.
克莱尔:好的。这样一旦我们测量了每只老鼠的体重增长,我们就可以计算出每组的平均值,以及标准差。
And then see where we go from there. That sounds cool, I think the students will enjoy it.
然后看看我们接下来要做什么。听起来很酷,我想学生们会喜欢的。
JAKE: Yes. One thing . . .
杰克:是的。还有一件事……
下一题
剑19 undefined