A
common sense.
B
hard to follow.
C
over-protective.
A
They are not worth keeping.
B
They should go to a collector.
C
They have sentimental value for her.
A
put out on display.
B
given as gifts to visitors.
C
more attractively designed.
A
describes the mistakes other people make doing it.
B
reflects on a significant childhood experience.
C
explains why some books are easier to remove than others.
A
Their parents liked buying them as presents.
B
They would like to buy more of them.
C
Not everyone can afford them.
PART 3
KIERAN: So Jane – you'll be off to Denmark soon to do your work placement.
基兰:简,你很快就要去丹麦实习了。
JANE: Yes, I'm really looking forward to it and I've just started packing up all my books to put in storage.
简:是的,我真的很期待,我刚开始收拾我所有的书,准备放进仓库。
KIERAN: Well, I hope they don't get spoilt.
基兰:希望它们不会被弄坏。
JANE: It's OK – my grandfather works in a bookshop and he told me how to pack them.
简:没事的,我爷爷在书店工作,他告诉我怎么打包。
KIERAN: Oh, that's helpful.
基兰:这很有用。
JANE: He says you have to support the spine otherwise the paper can come away from the cover.
简:他说必须支撑住书脊,否则纸张会从封面上脱落。
KIERAN: Yeah – that's obvious.
基兰:是的,很显然。
JANE: He also told me to pack them flat in the box not on their side – again because they can bend and if you leave them like that for, say, a year, it's quite hard to get them back to their normal shape.
简:他还告诉我要把书平放在盒子里,不要侧放,因为书会弯曲,如果你把书这样放一年,就很难让它们恢复正常形状了。
KIERAN: Well, it's pretty clear that ruins them, but a lot of people just can't be bothered to protect their books.
基兰:很明显这会毁了他们,但很多人就是懒得保护他们的书。
JANE: He always says it's such a shame that publishers don't use better-quality paper.
简: 爷爷总是说,出版商不使用质量更好的纸张真是太可惜了。
KIERAN: It's the acid in the paper that causes the problem, isn't it?
基兰:纸张里的酸性物质才是问题所在,不是吗?
JANE: Yeah – that's why old books go yellow. You know some of the books my grandfather's given me are like that already.
简:是啊,这就是为什么旧书会变黄。你知道我爷爷给我的一些书就已经是这样了。
KIERAN: Oh . . .
基兰:天啊……
JANE: I should dump them really if they're going to deteriorate further, but I'd feel bad.
简:如果这些书继续变黄的话,我真应该把它们扔了,但是又觉得很可惜。
They'll always remind me of him. He's quite a collector, you know.
这些书总是让我想起我爷爷,他是个收藏家。
KIERAN: Well, if they're important to you . . .
基兰:是的,如果它们对你很重要的话. . .
JANE: Yeah – I'd regret just throwing them away.
简:是啊,要是把它们扔掉我会后悔的。
KIERAN: You know, maybe it's because I was taught to treasure books . . . but I hate seeing students force open the pages – of paperbacks. They press so hard they end up breaking the spine.
基兰:也许是因为我从小就被教育要爱惜书本吧,但我最讨厌看到学生们用力撕开平装书的书页,他们用力过猛,最后把书脊都压断了。
JANE: I know, but unfortunately, paperbacks aren't designed to last a long time and people know that. Hardbacks aren't quite as weak.
简:我知道,但不幸的是,平装书的设计并不耐用,人们也知道这一点。精装书就没那么脆弱了。
KIERAN: Yeah, they're different, I suppose. But I still don't think people value hardbacks like they used to.
基兰:是的,我想它们是不一样的。但是我仍然认为人们不像以前那样看重精装书。
JANE: Well, they aren't decorative, are they, like other objects. Plus, nowadays, people don't keep them out on shelves as much as they used to.
简:精装书不像其他物品那样具有装饰性,不是吗?另外,现在人们不再像以前那样把精装书放在书架上了。
KIERAN: That's such a pity. When I visit someone – if they have, say, a colourful book on a table, it's the first thing I'm drawn to.
基兰:真遗憾。我去拜访别人时,如果他们的桌子上摆着一本色彩缤纷的书,我首先就会被它吸引。
JANE: I agree – and book covers can be a work of art in themselves. Some are really eye-catching.
简:我同意,书的封面本身就是一件艺术品。有些封面真的很引人注目。
KIERAN: I've always been taught to handle books carefully. If you watch someone take a book off a shelf, well, they usually do it wrong.
基兰:我一直被教导要小心处理书籍。如果你看到有人从书架上取下一本书,那么,通常他们取书的方式是错的。
JANE: Ah, my grandfather says, you should put your hand right over the top of the book . . . or if you can't do that, pull the other books on the shelf aside so that you can hold the whole cover.
简:我爷爷说,应该把手放在书的正上方,或者如果做不到,把书架上的其他书拉到一边,这样就可以把整个封面都拿起来。
KIERAN: When did you learn all this?
基兰:你什么时候学会这些的?
JANE: He watched me pull a heavy book off the shelf when I was small, and it fell on the floor and broke apart.
简:小时候,他看着我从书架上取下一本很重的书,书掉在地上摔散架了。
KIERAN: Oh dear!
基兰:天哪!
JANE: I can still remember it!
简:我一直记到现在!
KIERAN: You know what I really like?
基兰:你知道我最喜欢什么吗?
JANE: What?
简:是什么?
KIERAN: The smell of new books.
基兰:新书的味道。
JANE: Me too.
简:我也是。
KIERAN: My parents used to laugh at me when I was a kid because I loved putting books up to my nose. Almost as much as reading them!
基兰:小时候,我父母常常嘲笑我,因为我喜欢把书放在鼻子上。几乎和我喜欢读书一样不相上下!
JANE: New books aren't cheap, though, are they?
简: 不过新书并不便宜,不是吗?
KIERAN: I guess we're lucky we can buy them.
基兰:我想我们能买到它们已经很幸运了。
JANE: My grandfather stocks second-hand books as well as new ones and they don't smell quite as good.
简: 我爷爷存放二手书和新书,它们闻起来没有那么好。
KIERAN: I'd love to have a bookshop like your grandfather. What's it like?
基兰:我很想像你爷爷那样开一家书店。它是什么样的?
JANE: Well, it's quite big – it's got two floors and an attic, and he stocks all kinds of books really.
简:嗯,挺大的,有两层楼,还有阁楼,什么书都有。
KIERAN: I guess he treasures things like first editions and other rare books.
基兰:我猜他珍藏的有初版书和其他稀有书籍。
JANE: Yeah – you might think he'd keep those in the attic or somewhere.
简:是啊,你可能以为他会把那些书放在阁楼或什么地方。
KIERAN: . . . so they'd be hidden?
基兰:所以这些书会被藏起来吗?
JANE: Yeah. But he likes people to know that he has them.
简: 是的。但是他又喜欢让人们知道他拥有他们。
So, he puts them out in the shop but makes sure you need a ladder to get them.
所以他把这些书就放在店里,但确保你需要梯子才能拿到它们
KIERAN: Right. That would prevent any thefts!
基兰:没错,这样就不会被偷了。
JANE: Uhuh.
简:嗯。
KIERAN: Does he stock books for children?
基兰:他有儿童读物吗?
JANE: He does. He particularly likes to encourage kids to read; he always says that he used to sit under the stairs as a child with a pile of books and read them all.
简:是的。他特别喜欢鼓励孩子们读书,他总是说他小时候常常坐在楼梯下面,手里拿着一堆书,把它们全部读完。
KIERAN: Is that where he keeps them, then?
基兰:那他就把书放在那里吗?
JANE: Not exactly – he's got a dedicated area on the ground floor with cushions so that parents can enter with their toddlers, go there and spend some time reading to them.
简:不完全是--他在一楼有一个专门的区域,铺上软垫,这样家长们就可以带着他们的孩子进去,到那里花一些时间给他们读书。
KIERAN: Oh cool.
基兰:太酷了。
JANE: And then there's a place for pushchairs by the front door. And a café if anyone needs refreshments.
简: 前门还有个地方可以放手推车。如果有人需要点心,还可以去咖啡馆。
KIERAN: That's good to know.
基兰:听起来很不错。
JANE: As I said, it's a big shop and there's a storage area out the back as well.
简:正如我所说,这是一家大店铺,后面还有一个储藏室。
KIERAN: Oh, what does he keep there? Books he wants to throw away?
基兰:哦,他在哪里都放了什么? 他想扔掉的书?
JANE: He hardly ever throws anything away – he just leaves unwanted books by the front door for customers to take.
简:他几乎不扔任何东西--他只是把不想要的书放在前门,让顾客拿走。
KIERAN: Well, that's very nice.
基兰:嗯,真不错。
JANE: Yeah – and books people or institutions have requested, they all go at the far end.
简:是的,人们或机构要求的书籍都放在最里面。
KIERAN: Oh.
基兰:哦。
JANE: He thinks it's best to keep these out of the main shopping area as they're boxed and new.
简:他认为这些书最好不要放在主要购物区,因为它们都是装箱的新书。
KIERAN: Did you get your coursebooks from him?
基兰:你的课本是从他那里拿的吗?
JANE: Naturally. He stocks books for a lot of the colleges.
简:那是自然。他为很多大学储备书籍。
He used to keep these books on the first floor, but now there's a new university in my hometown, he's moved them downstairs to attract the students.
他以前把这些书放在一楼,但现在我家乡新开了一所大学,他就把书搬到楼下,以吸引学生。
They're actually part of the coffee shop, on low shelves all around it.
它们实际上是咖啡店的一部分,在咖啡店周围低矮的架子上。
KIERAN: Pretty central then. You'll have to take me there some time!
基兰:那就是中心了,你得找个时间带我去那里!
上一题
剑19 Test 4 Part 2下一题
剑19 Test 4 Part 4