A
worried that they are not making progress
B
challenged by their poor behaviour in class
C
frustrated at their lack of interest in the subject
A
He is concerned that the results might not be meaningful.
B
He feels some of the data might be difficult to obtain.
C
He suspects that the conclusions might be upsetting.
A
Any results may not apply to humans.
B
It may be complicated to get permission.
C
Students may not be happy about animal experiments.
A
Are mice capable of controlling their food intake?
B
Does an increase in sugar lead to health problems?
C
How much do supplements of different kinds affect health?
A
other types of food supplement.
B
different genetic strains of mice.
C
varying amounts of exercise.
CLARE: Hi Jake. How are you getting on with the practical teaching?
克莱尔:你好,杰克。你的实践教学进展如何?
JAKE: It's harder than I expected, but I've got some great classes. How about you?
杰克:比我想象的要难,但我上了几堂很棒的课。你呢?
CLARE: Not brilliant. I'm really struggling with my Year 12 science class.
克莱尔:不怎么样。我12年级的科学课上的很吃力。
JAKE: Are they hard to control?
杰克:学生很难管教吗?
CLARE: Well, I don't have discipline problems as such.
克莱尔:不是纪律的问题。
It's just that they don't seem to think that science has anything to do with their lives. It's depressing.
只是他们似乎不认为科学与他们的生活有任何关系,真让人沮丧。
They listen to what I say, and I gave them a test last week and the results weren't too bad, but there's no real engagement.
他们听我讲课,我上周给他们做了个测试,结果还不错,但他们没有真正参与进来。
JAKE: Right.
杰克:这样啊。
CLARE: And as part of my teaching practice, I have to design an experiment for them to do.
克莱尔:作为教学实践的一部分,我必须为他们设计一个实验。
I was wondering about something on the children's diets . . . you know, asking them to record what they eat and maybe linking it to their state of health.
我在想关于孩子们饮食的问题......你知道的,让他们记录下他们吃了什么,也许还能和他们的健康状况联系起来。
JAKE: Mmm. Let's think. So your methodology would involve the children recording what they eat.
杰克:嗯,让我们想想。所以你的方法是让孩子们记录他们吃了什么吗?
OK, but you'd also need to have access to the children's medical records and I don't think people would be happy about that; confidentiality would be an issue.
好吧,但你还需要查阅孩子们的医疗记录,我想人们不会乐意这样做;保密性也是个问题。
If you could get the right data, the conclusions might be significant, but I suspect it's not going to be easy.
如果你能得到正确的数据,结论可能很有意义,但我怀疑这并不容易。
CLARE: Right.
克莱尔:没错。
JAKE: Have you thought about doing an experiment using animals?
杰克:你有没有想过用动物做实验?
CLARE: Wouldn't that be upsetting for the children?
克莱尔:那不会让孩子们难过吗?
JAKE: Well, the animals don't have to be harmed in any way.
杰克:嗯,动物不必收到任何伤害。
It could just be an experiment where they're given a certain diet and the effects are observed.
这可能只是一个给它们特定饮食并观察其效果的实验。
CLARE: Would I have to get permission to use animals?
克莱尔:用动物进行实验需要得到许可吗?
JAKE: Yes, you'd have to submit an outline of the experiment and fill in a form, but it's quite straightforward.
杰克:是的,你得提交一份实验大纲,然后填一张表格,不过这很简单。
CLARE: But if we found out that, say, a particular diet affects the health of animals, the same thing wouldn't necessarily be true for people, would it?
克莱尔:但是如果我们发现,比如说,某种特定的饮食会影响动物的健康,那么同样的事情不一定适用于人类,不是吗?
JAKE: No that's true, but the findings for any experiment are going to be limited. It's inevitable.
杰克:没错,但是任何实验的结果都是有限的。这是不可能避免的。
CLARE: I suppose so. So what animals could I use to investigate the effects of diet? Mice?
克莱尔:我想也是。那么我可以用什么动物来研究饮食的影响呢?老鼠吗?
JAKE: Yes. You'd need experimental mice – ones that have been specially bred for experiments.
杰克:是的。你需要实验小鼠--专门为实验培育的小白鼠。
OK, so what will your experiment be investigating exactly?
好吧,那你的实验具体要研究什么?
CLARE: Well, something to do with nutrition.
克莱尔:和营养相关。
So maybe we could look at food supplements . . . things like extra iron and extra protein, and their impact on health.
也许我们可以看看食物补充剂,比如额外的铁和蛋白质,以及它们对健康的影响。
JAKE: Mmm. That might be rather broad. Maybe just look at the effects of one supplement, like sugar, on the health of the mice?
杰克:嗯。这可能比较宽泛。也许只研究一种补充剂,比如糖,对老鼠健康的影响?
CLARE: In fact, maybe the focus could be on whether mice can control their own diet. . . .
克莱尔:事实上,也许重点可以放在小鼠能否控制自己的饮食上. . .
JAKE: So, what happens when they have access to more sugar, that they don't really need?
杰克:那么,当他们有了更多并不需要的糖,将会发生什么?
CLARE: Exactly. Do they eat it or do they decide to leave it?
克莱尔:没错,看它们是吃还是不吃?
JAKE: Great. Then later on, you could do a follow-up experiment adding another variable.
杰克:太好了。然后,你可以做一个后续实验,加入另一个变量。
Like, you could give some of the mice the chance to be more active, running on a wheel or something, and the others just sit around and don't do much.
比如,你可以给一些小白鼠活动的机会,让它们在轮子上跑什么的,而其他的小白鼠只是坐在那里,什么也不做。
CLARE: Or I could repeat the experiment but change the type of food I provided . . . or use mice with a different genetic structure.
克莱尔:或者我可以重复这个实验,但是改变所提供的食物种类……或者使用不同基因结构的小白鼠。
But I think your idea would be more interesting, I might think about that some more.
但是我觉得你的想法更加有趣,我可以再考虑一下。
下一题
剑19 undefined