首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑19 Test 3 Part 3
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21–25
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.

Science experiment for Year 12 students
 
21 How does Clare feel about the students in her Year 12 science class?

A

worried that they are not making progress

B

challenged by their poor behaviour in class

C

frustrated at their lack of interest in the subject

22 How does Jake react to Clare's suggestion about an experiment based on children's diet?

A

He is concerned that the results might not be meaningful.

B

He feels some of the data might be difficult to obtain.

C

He suspects that the conclusions might be upsetting.

23 What problem do they agree may be involved in an experiment involving animals?

A

Any results may not apply to humans.

B

It may be complicated to get permission.

C

Students may not be happy about animal experiments.

24 What question do they decide the experiment should address?

A

Are mice capable of controlling their food intake?

B

Does an increase in sugar lead to health problems?

C

How much do supplements of different kinds affect health?

25 Clare might also consider doing another experiment involving

A

other types of food supplement.

B

different genetic strains of mice.

C

varying amounts of exercise.

Questions 26–30
Complete the flowchart below.
Choose FIVE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A–H, next to Questions 26–30.


A size
B escape
C age
D water
E cereal
F calculations
G changes
H colour
26  
27  
28  
29  
30  

PART 3

CLARE: Hi Jake. How are you getting on with the practical teaching?

克莱尔:你好,杰克。你的实践教学进展如何?

JAKE: It's harder than I expected, but I've got some great classes. How about you?

杰克:比我想象的要难,但我上了几堂很棒的课。你呢?

CLARE: Not brilliant. I'm really struggling with my Year 12 science class.

克莱尔:不怎么样。我12年级的科学课上的很吃力。

JAKE: Are they hard to control?

杰克:学生很难管教吗?

CLARE: Well, I don't have discipline problems as such.

克莱尔:不是纪律的问题。

It's just that they don't seem to think that science has anything to do with their lives. It's depressing.

只是他们似乎不认为科学与他们的生活有任何关系,真让人沮丧。

They listen to what I say, and I gave them a test last week and the results weren't too bad, but there's no real engagement.

他们听我讲课,我上周给他们做了个测试,结果还不错,但他们没有真正参与进来。

JAKE: Right.

杰克:这样啊。

CLARE: And as part of my teaching practice, I have to design an experiment for them to do.

克莱尔:作为教学实践的一部分,我必须为他们设计一个实验。

I was wondering about something on the children's diets . . . you know, asking them to record what they eat and maybe linking it to their state of health.

我在想关于孩子们饮食的问题......你知道的,让他们记录下他们吃了什么,也许还能和他们的健康状况联系起来。

JAKE: Mmm. Let's think. So your methodology would involve the children recording what they eat.

杰克:嗯,让我们想想。所以你的方法是让孩子们记录他们吃了什么吗?

OK, but you'd also need to have access to the children's medical records and I don't think people would be happy about that; confidentiality would be an issue.

好吧,但你还需要查阅孩子们的医疗记录,我想人们不会乐意这样做;保密性也是个问题。

If you could get the right data, the conclusions might be significant, but I suspect it's not going to be easy.

如果你能得到正确的数据,结论可能很有意义,但我怀疑这并不容易。

CLARE: Right.

克莱尔:没错。

JAKE: Have you thought about doing an experiment using animals?

杰克:你有没有想过用动物做实验?

CLARE: Wouldn't that be upsetting for the children?

克莱尔:那不会让孩子们难过吗?

JAKE: Well, the animals don't have to be harmed in any way.

杰克:嗯,动物不必收到任何伤害。

It could just be an experiment where they're given a certain diet and the effects are observed.

这可能只是一个给它们特定饮食并观察其效果的实验。

CLARE: Would I have to get permission to use animals?

克莱尔:用动物进行实验需要得到许可吗?

JAKE: Yes, you'd have to submit an outline of the experiment and fill in a form, but it's quite straightforward.

杰克:是的,你得提交一份实验大纲,然后填一张表格,不过这很简单。

CLARE: But if we found out that, say, a particular diet affects the health of animals, the same thing wouldn't necessarily be true for people, would it?

克莱尔:但是如果我们发现,比如说,某种特定的饮食会影响动物的健康,那么同样的事情不一定适用于人类,不是吗?

JAKE: No that's true, but the findings for any experiment are going to be limited. It's inevitable.

杰克:没错,但是任何实验的结果都是有限的。这是不可能避免的。

CLARE: I suppose so. So what animals could I use to investigate the effects of diet? Mice?

克莱尔:我想也是。那么我可以用什么动物来研究饮食的影响呢?老鼠吗?

JAKE: Yes. You'd need experimental mice – ones that have been specially bred for experiments.

杰克:是的。你需要实验小鼠--专门为实验培育的小白鼠。

OK, so what will your experiment be investigating exactly?

好吧,那你的实验具体要研究什么?

CLARE: Well, something to do with nutrition.

克莱尔:和营养相关。

So maybe we could look at food supplements . . . things like extra iron and extra protein, and their impact on health.

也许我们可以看看食物补充剂,比如额外的铁和蛋白质,以及它们对健康的影响。

JAKE: Mmm. That might be rather broad. Maybe just look at the effects of one supplement, like sugar, on the health of the mice?

杰克:嗯。这可能比较宽泛。也许只研究一种补充剂,比如糖,对老鼠健康的影响?

CLARE: In fact, maybe the focus could be on whether mice can control their own diet. . . .

克莱尔:事实上,也许重点可以放在小鼠能否控制自己的饮食上. . .

JAKE: So, what happens when they have access to more sugar, that they don't really need?

杰克:那么,当他们有了更多并不需要的糖,将会发生什么?

CLARE: Exactly. Do they eat it or do they decide to leave it?

克莱尔:没错,看它们是吃还是不吃?

JAKE: Great. Then later on, you could do a follow-up experiment adding another variable.

杰克:太好了。然后,你可以做一个后续实验,加入另一个变量。

Like, you could give some of the mice the chance to be more active, running on a wheel or something, and the others just sit around and don't do much.

比如,你可以给一些小白鼠活动的机会,让它们在轮子上跑什么的,而其他的小白鼠只是坐在那里,什么也不做。

CLARE: Or I could repeat the experiment but change the type of food I provided . . . or use mice with a different genetic structure.

克莱尔:或者我可以重复这个实验,但是改变所提供的食物种类……或者使用不同基因结构的小白鼠。

But I think your idea would be more interesting, I might think about that some more.

但是我觉得你的想法更加有趣,我可以再考虑一下。

CLARE: So can I talk through a possible procedure for the experiment where mice are given a sugar supplement?

克莱尔:那我能讨论一下小白鼠摄入糖分的可能的实验步骤吗?

JAKE: Sure. I did a similar experiment in college actually.

杰克:当然,我大学时做过一次类似的实验。

CLARE: Great. So how many mice would I need?

克莱尔:太好了。那么我需要多少只小白鼠?

JAKE: I'd say about 12. And all young ones, not a mixture of old and young.

杰克:大概12只,而且都是年轻的,不能老的和年轻的混合。

CLARE: OK. And I'd need two groups of equal sizes, so six in each group. And how would I tell them apart?

克莱尔:好的。我需要两组小白鼠,每组6只。那我要怎么区分它们呢?

I suppose I could put some sort of tag on one group . . . or just mark them in some way?

我想我可以给其中一组贴上标签,或者用某种方式标记?

JAKE: You could use food colouring, that wouldn't hurt them.

杰克:你可以用食用色素,这不会伤害他们。

CLARE: Perfect. Then each group would go into a separate cage, and one group, let's call them group A, would be the control group.

克莱尔:太好了。然后每组关在一个单独的笼子里 其中一组,我们叫它A组,作为对照组。

So they'd just have ordinary mouse food. I suppose you can buy that?

他们只吃普通的老鼠食物,你能买到吗?

JAKE: Yes, it comes in dry pellets.

杰克:可以,有干的颗粒。

CLARE: And the other group would have the same as the first group, but they'd also have the extra sugar.

克莱尔:另一组的食物和第一组一样,但有额外的糖。

JAKE: Would you just give them straight sugar?

杰克:你会直接给它们糖吃吗?

CLARE: It might be better to give them something like cereal with it.

克莱尔:也许给他们一些像麦片之类的东西会更好。

JAKE: Mmm. Then you'd need to weigh the mice, I should think once a week. And you'd need an electronic balance.

杰克:嗯。然后你得给小白鼠称体重,我想应该是一周一次。你需要一个电子天平。

CLARE: But we can't hold them on the balance, or it'd affect the reading.

克莱尔: 但是我们不能抓着它们放到天平上,否则会影响读数。

JAKE: Exactly. So you need something called a weighing chamber to stop the mice from running away.

杰克:没错,所以你需要一个叫称重室的东西,来防止小白鼠逃跑。

It sounds complicated, but actually you can just use a plastic box with holes in the top.

这听起来很复杂,但实际上你可以用一个顶部有洞的塑料盒子。

CLARE: OK. So once we've measured the weight gain of each mouse we can work out the average for each group, as well as the standard deviation.

克莱尔:好的。这样一旦我们测量了每只老鼠的体重增长,我们就可以计算出每组的平均值,以及标准差。

And then see where we go from there. That sounds cool, I think the students will enjoy it.

然后看看我们接下来要做什么。听起来很酷,我想学生们会喜欢的。

JAKE: Yes. One thing . . .

杰克:是的。还有一件事……

上一题

剑19 Test 3 Part 2

下一题

剑19 Test 3 Part 4