YOUNG MAN: That seminar yesterday on automation and the future of work was really good, wasn't it?
男学生:昨天关于自动化和未来工作的研讨会真的很棒,不是吗?
Looking at the first industrial revolution in Britain in the 19th century and seeing how people reacted to massive change was a real eye-opener.
看看19世纪英国的第一次工业革命,看看人们对巨大变化的反应,真是大开眼界。
YOUNG WOMAN: Yes. It was interesting to hear how people felt about automation then and what challenges they faced.
女学生:是的。了解到人们当时对自动化的看法以及他们面临的挑战是很有趣的。
I didn't know that first started with workers in the textile industry.
我不知道这是从纺织行业的工人先开始的。
YOUNG MAN: With those protesting workers called the Luddites destroying their knitting machines because they were so worried about losing their jobs.
男学生:那些抗议的工人被称为卢德分子,他们摧毁了他们的针织机,因为他们非常担心失去工作。
YOUNG WOMAN: Yes, and ultimately, they didn't achieve anything.
女学生:是的,他们最终没有达到目的。
And anyway, industrialisation created more jobs than it destroyed.
不管怎样,工业化创造的就业机会多于它破坏的就业机会。
YOUNG MAN: Yes, that's true – but it probably didn't seem a positive thing at the time.
男学生:是的,确实如此。但当时这似乎不是一件好事。
I can see why the Luddites felt so threatened.
我明白为什么卢德分子感受到如此巨大的威胁。
YOUNG WOMAN: I know. I'm sure I would have felt the same.
女学生:我知道。我相信我也会有同样的感觉。
The discussion about the future of work was really optimistic for a change.
关于未来工作的讨论对于变革持乐观态度。
I like the idea that work won't involve doing boring, repetitive tasks, as robots will do all that.
我喜欢这样的想法,那就是未来的工作不会涉及做无聊、重复的任务,因为机器人会把那些事都做了。
Normally, you only hear negative stuff about the future.
通常,人们只会听到有关未来的负面消息。
YOUNG MAN: Bit too optimistic, don't you think?
男学生:有点太乐观了,你不觉得吗?
For example, I can't see how people are about to have more leisure time, when all the evidence shows people are spending longer than ever at work.
例如,当所有证据表明人们花在工作上的时间比以往任何时候都长,我看不出人们会有更多的闲暇时间。
YOUNG WOMAN: No – that's true.
女学生:是的。
And what about lower unemployment?
那么降低失业率呢?
I'm not so sure about that.
我不太确定。
YOUNG MAN: Perhaps in the long term – but not in the foreseeable future.
男学生:从长远来看也许会,但在可预见的未来不会。
YOUNG WOMAN: Mmm. And I expect most people will be expected to work until they're much older – as everyone's living much longer.
女学生:嗯。而且我预计大多数人都应该工作到更老的时候,因为每个人的寿命都更长了。
YOUNG MAN: That's already happening.
男学生:这已经在发生了。
下一题
剑18 undefined