A
Her view of the speaker was blocked.
B
She was unable to find an empty seat.
C
The students next to her were talking.
A
It has become more competitive than it used to be.
B
There is more variety in it than they had realised.
C
Some areas of it are more exciting than others.
A
unfair to them at times.
B
hard for them to follow.
C
critical of the industry.
A
when they received the advice
B
how much advice was given
C
who gave the advice
A
which is the best career in fashion.
B
when to choose a career in fashion.
C
why they would like a career in fashion.
A
He is realistic about the practice.
B
He feels the practice is dishonest.
C
He thinks others want to change the practice.
A
being dishonest to her employer
B
paying too much attention to how she looked
C
expecting to become well known
D
trying to earn a lot of money
E
openly disliking her client
A
the reasons people return fashion items
B
how much time people have to shop for clothes
C
fashion designs people want but can’t fi nd
D
the best time of year for fashion buying
E
the most popular fashion sizes
PART 3
HUGO: Hi Chantal. What did you think of the talk, then?
雨果:你好,尚塔尔。你觉得这次讲座怎么样?
CHANTAL: Hi Hugo. I thought it was good once I'd moved seats.
尚塔尔:嗨,雨果。我移动了座位之后,觉得还不错。
HUGO: Oh – were the people beside you chatting or something?
雨果:哦,你旁边的人在聊天或者怎么了吗?
CHANTAL: It wasn't that.
尚塔尔:不是那样的。
I went early so that I'd get a seat and not have to stand, but then this guy sat right in front of me and he was so tall!
我去得早,这样我就可以有座位不用站着。但是有个人就坐在我前面,他太高了!
HUGO: It's hard to see through people's heads, isn't it?
雨果:头挡住什么也看不见,是吗?
CHANTAL: Impossible! Anyway, to answer your question, I thought it was really interesting, especially what the speaker said about the job market.
尚塔尔:绝不可能!无论如何,回答你刚才的问题,我认为这真的很有趣,尤其是演讲者所说的关于就业市场的内容。
HUGO: Me too. I mean we know we're going into a really competitive field so it's obvious that we may struggle to get work.
雨果:我也觉得。我的意思是我们知道我们将进入一个竞争非常激烈的领域,所以很明显我们可能很难找到工作。
CHANTAL: That's right – and we know we can't all have that 'dream job'.
尚塔尔:没错。我们知道我们不可能都拥有那份“梦想的工作”。
HUGO: Yeah, but it looks like there's a whole range of … areas of work that we hadn't even thought of – like fashion journalism, for instance.
雨果:是的,但看起来有很多工作领域我们甚至没有考虑过,比如时尚新闻。
CHANTAL: Yeah – I wasn't expecting so many career options.
尚塔尔:就是说。我没想到会有这么多职业选择。
HUGO: Mmm. Overall, she had quite a strong message, didn't she?
雨果:嗯。总的来说,她传达了一个非常强烈的信息,不是吗?
CHANTAL: She did. She kept saying things like 'I know you all think this, but …' and then she'd tell us how it really is.
尚塔尔:的确。她一直在说“我知道你们都这么想,但是……”。然后她会告诉我们真实情况是什么。
HUGO: Perhaps she thinks students are a bit narrow-minded about the industry.
雨果:也许她认为学生们对这个行业的看法有点狭隘。
CHANTAL: It was a bit harsh, though!
尚塔尔:但还是有点残酷!
We know it's a tough industry.
我们知道这是一个要求严格的行业。
HUGO: Yeah – and we're only first years, after all. We've got a lot to learn.
雨果:是的。毕竟我们才刚上一年级。我们有很多东西要学。
CHANTAL: Exactly. Do you think our secondary-school education should have been more career-focused?
尚塔尔:没错。你认为我们的中学教育应该更注重职业吗?
HUGO: Well, we had numerous talks on careers, which was good, but none of them were very inspiring.
雨果:这个嘛,我们有很多关于职业的讲座,这很好,但没有一个是非常鼓舞人心的。
They could have asked more people like today's speaker to talk to us.
他们本可以请更多像今天的演讲者这样的人给我们演讲。
CHANTAL: I agree. We were told about lots of different careers – just when we needed to be, but not by the experts who really know stuff.
尚塔尔:我同意。他们只是在我们需要的时候告诉我们关于许多不同职业的事情,但那些人不是真正了解职场的专家。
HUGO: So did today's talk influence your thoughts on what career you'd like to take up in the future?
雨果:那么今天的谈话是否影响了你对未来想从事什么职业的想法?
CHANTAL: Well, I promised myself that I'd go through this course and keep an open mind till the end.
尚塔尔:好吧,我答应过我自己会完成这门课程并保持开放的心态直到最后。
HUGO: But I think it's better to pick an area of the industry now and then aim to get better and better at it.
雨果:但我认为现在最好选择一个行业领域,然后致力于在这个领域做得越来越好。
CHANTAL: Well, I think we'll just have to differ on that issue!
尚塔尔:嗯,我想我们只能在这个问题上保持不同意见!
HUGO: One thing's for certain, though.
雨果:不过有一件事是肯定的。
From what she said, we'll be unpaid assistants in the industry for quite a long time.
按照她的说法,我们会作为助手在这个行业工作很长一段时间,但是没有薪水。
CHANTAL: Mmm.
尚塔尔:这个嘛。
HUGO: I'm prepared for that, aren't you?
雨果:我已经做好准备了,你呢?
CHANTAL: Actually, I'm not going to accept that view.
尚塔尔:实际上,我不打算接受这种说法。
HUGO: Really? But she knows it's the case – and everyone else says the same.
雨果:真的吗?但她知道情况确实如此,其他人也这么说。
CHANTAL: That doesn't mean it has to be true for me.
尚塔尔:这并不意味着对我也一定是这样的。
HUGO: OK. Well – I hope you're right!
雨果:好吧,我希望你是对的!
CHANTAL: I thought the speaker's account of her first job was fascinating.
尚塔尔:我认为演讲者对她第一份工作的描述很吸引人。
HUGO: Yeah – she admitted she was lucky to get work being a personal dresser for a musician.
雨果:是的。她说到她很幸运能找到一份给音乐家做私人梳妆师的工作。
She didn't even apply for the job and there she was getting paid to choose all his clothes.
她甚至没有申请这份工作,她被雇来挑选他所有的服装。
CHANTAL: It must have felt amazing – though she said all she was looking for back then was experience, not financial reward.
尚塔尔:一定感觉很棒,虽然她说她当时想要的只是经验,而不是经济回报。
HUGO: Mmm. And then he was so mean, telling her she was more interested in her own appearance than his!
雨果:嗯。然后他很刻薄,告诉她比起雇主,她对自己外表更感兴趣!
CHANTAL: But – she did realise he was right about that, which really made me think.
尚塔尔:但是,她确实意识到他是对的。这真的引发了我的思考。
I'm always considering my own clothes but now I can see you should be focusing on your client!
我一直在考虑自己的衣服,但现在我明白你应该关注你的客户!
HUGO: She obviously regretted losing the job.
雨果:她显然对失去这份工作感到遗憾。
CHANTAL: Well, as she said, she should have hidden her negative feelings about him, but she didn't.
尚塔尔:嗯,正如她所说,她应该隐藏对他的负面情绪,但她没有。
HUGO: It was really brave the way she picked herself up and took that job in retail.
雨果:她振作起来并接受了零售店的工作,这真的很勇敢。
Fancy working in a shop after that!
在那之后爱上了在商店工作!
CHANTAL: Yeah – well, she recommended we all do it at some point.
尚塔尔:是的。她建议所有人都可以在某个时间点去商店工作。
I guess as a designer you'd get to find out some useful information, like how big or small the average shopper is.
我想作为一名设计师,你会发现一些有用的信息,比如普通购物者的体型身材。
HUGO: I think that's an issue for manufacturers, not designers.
雨果:我认为这是制造者而不是设计师的事。
However, it would be useful to know if there's a gap in the market – you know, an item that no one's stocking but that consumers are looking for.
然而,这对了解市场是否存在缺口将很有用。你知道,有的商品没有人备货但消费者却都想要。
CHANTAL: Yeah, people don't give up searching.
尚塔尔:是的,人们会一直找。
They also take things back to the store if they aren't right.
如果人们没有买对东西也会退货。
HUGO: Yeah. Imagine you worked in an expensive shop and you found out the garments sold there were being returned because they … fell apart in the wash!
雨果:是的。想象一下,你在一家高档商店工作,你发现那里出售的衣服被退回了,因为它们在洗涤时破碎了!
CHANTAL: Yeah, it would be good to know that kind of thing.
尚塔尔:是的,能了解那些事会很好。
HUGO: Yeah.
雨果:是的。
上一题
剑18 Test 1 Part 2下一题
剑18 Test 1 Part 4