JEANNE: Hi Thomas, how are you enjoying the course so far?
珍妮:嗨,托马斯,到目前为止你觉得这门课怎么样?
THOMAS: Yeah, I think it's good.
托马斯:是的,我觉得很好。
JEANNE: Remind me – why did you decide to study sports science?
珍妮:说起这个我想起来了—你为什么决定学习体育科学?
Didn't you want to be a professional athlete when you were at school?
你上学的时候不是想成为一名职业运动员吗?
THOMAS: Yeah – that was my goal, and all my classmates assumed I would achieve it; they thought I was brilliant.
托马斯:是的。那是我的目标,我所有的同学都觉得我能做到,他们认为我很优秀。
JEANNE: That must have been a nice feeling.
珍妮:那感觉一定很好。
THOMAS: Mm, I thought I could win anything.
托马斯:嗯,我以为我在所有比赛中都能赢。
There was no one who could run faster than me.
没有人能跑得比我快。
JEANNE: Exactly – so what happened?
珍妮:没错。那么后来发生了什么事?
Did your mum and dad want you to be more 'academic'?
你爸妈想让你更专注于学术吗?
THOMAS: Not at all. Perhaps they should have pushed me harder, though.
托马斯:不是的。不过,也许他们应该给我更大的压力。
JEANNE: What do you mean?
珍妮:什么意思?
THOMAS: I think I should have practised more.
托马斯:我想我应该多练习。
JEANNE: What makes you say that?
珍妮:为什么这么说呢?
THOMAS: Well, I went out to Kenya for a couple of weeks to train …
托马斯:嗯,我去肯尼亚训练了几个星期……
JEANNE: Really! I didn't know that.
珍妮:真的吗?我都不知道。
THOMAS: I was chosen to go there out of loads of kids and run with some of the top teenage athletes in the world.
托马斯:他们在一群孩子中把我选出来,让我去和世界上一些顶尖的青少年运动员一起跑步。
And … I was so calm about it.
而且对此我的反应非常冷静。
I just kept thinking how fortunate I was.
我一直在想我是多么幸运。
What a great chance this was!
这是多么好的机会啊!
Everyone back home was so proud of me.
家里的每个人都为我感到骄傲。
But once we started competing, I very quickly realised I wasn't good enough.
但我们一开始比赛,我很快意识到我不够优秀。
JEANNE: That must have been a huge shock.
珍妮:那一定是一个巨大的打击。
THOMAS: I thought 'this can't be happening'!
托马斯:我当时想‘这不可能发生’!
I was used to winning.
我习惯做冠军。
JEANNE: I'm sorry to hear that.
珍妮:听到这个消息我很难过。
THOMAS: It's OK. I'm over it now and I think it's much better to do a university course and this one has such a variety of sports-related areas.
托马斯:没关系。我现在想通了,我觉得上大学更好,这门课有很多与体育相关的领域。
It's going to be good.
会很好的。
JEANNE: Oh, I agree – I chose it because of that.
珍妮:哦,我同意。我就是因为这个选了它。
下一题
剑17 undefined