首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑17 Test 1 Part 3
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21-26
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.

 
Work experience for veterinary science students

21 What problem did both Diana and Tim have when arranging their work experience?

A

making initial contact with suitable farms

B

organising transport to and from the farm

C

finding a placement for the required length of time

22 Tim was pleased to be able to help

A

a lamb that had a broken leg.

B

a sheep that was having difficulty giving birth.

C

a newly born lamb that was having trouble feeding.

23 Diana says the sheep on her farm

A

were of various different varieties.

B

were mainly reared for their meat.

C

had better quality wool than sheep on the hills.

24 What did the students learn about adding supplements to chicken feed?

A

These should only be given if specially needed.

B

It is worth paying extra for the most effective ones.

C

The amount given at one time should be limited.

25 What happened when Diana was working with dairy cows?

A

She identified some cows incorrectly.

B

She accidentally threw some milk away.

C

She made a mistake when storing milk.

26 What did both farmers mention about vets and farming?

A

Vets are failing to cope with some aspects of animal health.

B

There needs to be a fundamental change in the training of vets.

C

Some jobs could be done by the farmer rather than by a vet.

Questions 27-30
What opinion do the students give about each of the following modules on their veterinary science course?
Choose FOUR answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-F, next to questions 27-30.

Opinions
A Tim found this easier than expected.
B Tim thought this was not very clearly organised.
C Diana may do some further study on this.
D They both found the reading required for this was difficult.
E Tim was shocked at something he learned on this module.
F They were both surprised how little is known about some aspects of this.

Modules on Veterinary Science course
27 Medical terminology 
28 Diet and nutrition 
29 Animal disease 
30 Wildlife medication 

PART 3

DIANA: So, Tim, we have to do a short summary of our work experience on a farm.

戴安娜:蒂姆。我们需要就之前在农场的实习工作写一篇简短的总结。

TIM: Right. My farm was great, but arranging the work experience was hard.

蒂姆:好的。我工作的农场非常棒。但是去那里工作的安排可不容易。

One problem was it was miles away and I don't drive.

一个问题就是我离农场有数英里远,但是我不开车。

And also, I'd really wanted a placement for a month, but I could only get one for two weeks.

还有,我特别想实习一个月,但是我只能找到一个两周的实习。

DIANA: I was lucky, the farmer let me stay on the farm so I didn't have to travel.

戴安娜:我就很幸运了。农场主让我住在那里,所以我不用来回跑。

But finding the right sort of farm to apply to wasn't easy.

但是想要找到能够申请到的合适的农场非常难。

TIM: No, they don't seem to have websites, do they.

蒂姆:确实不容易。这些农场还没有自己的网站,对吧?

I found mine through a friend of my mother's, but it wasn't easy.

我是通过我母亲的一个朋友找到了我实习的农场,但是过程很麻烦。

DIANA: No.

戴安娜:就是。

TIM: My farm was mostly livestock, especially sheep.

蒂姆:我实习的农场主要是养殖牲畜,羊尤其多。

I really enjoyed helping out with them.

我非常愿意帮助这些动物。

I was up most of one night helping a sheep deliver a lamb …

有一天我几乎熬了一整晚来给母羊接生。

DIANA: On your own?

戴安娜:只有你自己?

TIM: No, the farmer was there, and he told me what to do.

蒂姆:不是,农场的主人也在那儿,他告诉我要做什么。

It wasn't a straightforward birth, but I managed.

小羊的出生并不顺利,但是我做到了。

It was a great feeling to see the lamb stagger to its feet and start feeding almost straightaway, and to know that it was OK.

看到小羊摇摇晃晃地站起来,几乎立刻开始进食,我知道它没事了。这种感觉特别好。

DIANA: Mm.

戴安娜:嗯。

TIM: Then another time a lamb had broken its leg, and they got the vet in to set it, and he talked me through what he was doing.

蒂姆:还有一次,一只小羊摔断了腿。他们找来兽医处理。他边救治边给我讲解步骤。

That was really useful.

他的讲解对我很有帮助。

DIANA: Yes, my farm had sheep too.

戴安娜:是的。我的农场上也有羊。

The farm was in a valley and they had a lowland breed called Suffolks, although the farmer said they'd had other breeds in the past.

农场在山谷中,养殖的是一种叫做萨福克的低地品种羊。但是农场主说他们在之前也养过其它的品种。

TIM: So were they bred for their meat?

蒂姆:所以,养这些羊是为了肉吗?

DIANA: Mostly, yes. They're quite big and solid.

戴安娜:大部分是的。这些羊长得又大又结实。

TIM: My farm was up in the hills and they had a different breed of sheep, they were Cheviots.

蒂姆:我实习的农场是在山上,他们养的是不同的品种,叫做舍维绵羊。

DIANA: Oh, I heard their wool's really sought after.

戴安娜:哦,我听说它们的羊毛很受欢迎。

TIM: Yes. It's very hardwearing and they use it for carpets.

蒂姆:是的。这种羊毛经久耐用,主要用来编织地毯。

DIANA: Right.

戴安娜:明白。

TIM: I was interested in the amount of supplements they add to animals' feed nowadays.

蒂姆:我对现在添加到动物饲料中的补充剂的用量很感兴趣。

Like, even the chickens got extra vitamins and electrolytes in their feed.

比方说,就连鸡的饲料中添加了额外的维生素和电解质。

DIANA: Yes, I found that too. And they're not cheap.

戴安娜:是的。我也发现了。而且还不便宜。

But my farmer said some are overpriced for what they are.

但是我实习的农场的主人说有的补充剂售价过高。

And he didn't give them as a matter of routine, just at times when the chickens seemed to particularly require them.

而且,他也不是天天都喂,只是在鸡似乎特别需要的时候才给。

TIM: Yes, mine said the same.

蒂姆:是的,我认识的农场主也这么说。

He said certain breeds of chickens might need more supplements than the others, but the cheap and expensive ones are all basically the same.

他说某些品种的鸡比其它品种更需要补充剂,但是便宜的和贵的基本都一样。

DIANA: Mm.

戴安娜:哦。

TIM: So did your farm have any other livestock, Diana?

蒂姆:戴安娜,你实习的农场还有其它的牲畜吗?

DIANA: Yes, dairy cows. I made a really embarrassing mistake when I was working in the milk shed.

戴安娜:是的,有奶牛。我在牛奶棚工作的时候犯了一个非常尴尬的错误。

Some cows had been treated with antibiotics, so their milk wasn't suitable for human consumption, and it had to be put in a separate container.

一些奶牛接受了抗生素治疗,所以它们的牛奶不适合人类饮用,必须放在单独的容器里。

But I got mixed up, and I poured some milk from the wrong cow in with the milk for humans, so the whole lot had to be thrown away.

但是我弄错了,我把一些生病的奶牛产的奶倒进了给人喝的牛奶里,所以全部牛奶都被扔掉了。

The farmer wasn't too happy with me.

农场主对我不太满意。

TIM: I asked my farmer how much he depended on the vet to deal with health problems.

蒂姆:我问过我实习的农场的主人他有多依赖兽医来解决动物的健康问题。

I'd read reports that the livestock's health is being affected as farmers are under pressure to increase production.

我曾经读过报道说因为农民正面临着来自增加产量的压力,牲畜的健康受到了影响。

Well, he didn't agree with that, but he said that actually some of the stuff the vets do, like minor operations, he'd be quite capable of doing himself.

可是,他不同意这种说法。但是他说一些兽医能做的事情,比如小手术,他自己也能做。

DIANA: Yeah. My farmer said the same.

戴安娜:是的,我这面的农场主也这样说。

But he reckons vets' skills are still needed.

但是他觉得还是需要兽医的技术。

DIANA: Now we've got to give a bit of feedback about last term's modules – just short comments, apparently.

戴安娜:现在我们需要对上学期的模块给出一些反馈。很明显,只需要给一些简短的评价。

Shall we do that now?

我们可以开始了吗?

TIM: OK. So medical terminology.

蒂姆:没问题。先说医学术语。

DIANA: Well, my heart sank when I saw that, especially right at the beginning of the course.

戴安娜:嗯,当我看到这一点时,我的心都沉了下来,尤其是在课程开始的时候。

And I did struggle with it.

我确实理解得很费力。

TIM: I'd thought it'd be hard, but actually I found it all quite straightforward.

蒂姆:我本以为这很难,但实际上我发现这一切都很简单。

What did you think about diet and nutrition?

你觉得饮食和营养怎么样?

DIANA: OK, I suppose.

戴安娜:我觉得还好吧。

TIM: Do you remember what they told us about pet food and the fact that there's such limited checking into whether or not it's contaminated?

蒂姆:你还记得他们告诉我们的关于宠物食品的事情吗?事实上,对宠物食品是否受到污染的检查非常有限。

I mean in comparison with the checks on food for humans – I thought that was terrible.

我的意思是,和人类食物的检查相比非常有限,我觉得这太可怕了。

DIANA: Mm. I think the module that really impressed me was the animal disease one, when we looked at domesticated animals in different parts of the world, like camels and water buffalo and alpaca.

戴安娜:嗯。当研究世界各地的驯养动物时,比如骆驼、水牛和羊驼,我认为真正让我印象深刻的模块是动物疾病模块。

The economies of so many countries depend on these, but scientists don't know much about the diseases that affect them.

许多国家的经济依赖于这些牲畜,但科学家对影响它们的疾病知之甚少。

TIM: Yes, I thought they'd know a lot about ways of controlling and eradicating those diseases, but that's not the case at all.

蒂姆:是的,我以为他们知道很多控制和根除这些疾病的方法,但事实并非如此。

I loved the wildlife medication unit.

我喜欢野生动物药物治疗小组。

Things like helping birds that have been caught in oil spills.

比如帮助因石油泄漏而受困的鸟类。

That's something I hadn't thought about before.

这是我以前从没想过的。

DIANA: Yeah, I thought I might write my dissertation on something connected with that.

戴安娜:是的,我想我可能会写一篇与此相关的论文。

TIM: Right. So …

蒂姆:对。所以……

上一题

剑17 Test 1 Part 2

下一题

剑17 Test 1 Part 4