PART 1
PETER: Hello?
彼得:您好。哪位?
JAN: Oh hello. My name's Jan.
简:您好,我是简。
Are you the right person to talk to about the Buckworth Conservation Group?
请问关于巴克沃斯保护组织的事情是找您吗?
PETER: Yes, I'm Peter. I'm the secretary.
彼得:是的。我是彼得。我是秘书。
JAN: Good. I've just moved to this area, and I'm interested in getting involved.
简:太好了。我刚刚搬到这里,很想加入你们。
I was in a similar group where I used to live.
在我原来住的地方我也参加过类似的组织。
Could you tell me something about your activities, please?
能够请您介绍一下你们的活动吗?
PETER: Of course. Well, we have a mixture of regular activities and special events.
彼得:当然可以。我们组织一些定期常规活动还有一些特殊活动。
One of the regular ones is trying to keep the beach free of litter.
常规活动之一就是努力清除海滩上的垃圾。
A few of us spend a couple of hours a month on it, and it's awful how much there is to clear.
我们团队中的一些人每个月要花好几个小时来做这件事。非常糟糕的是要清理的垃圾太多了。
I wish people would be more responsible and take it home with them.
我希望人们可以负起更多责任,把垃圾带走。
JAN: I totally agree. I'd be happy to help with that.
简:我完全同意您的话。我很愿意一起帮忙。
Is it OK to take dogs?
可以带上狗么?
PETER: I'm afraid not, as they're banned from the beach itself.
彼得:恐怕不行,因为海滩本来就禁止犬类进入。
You can take them along the cliffs, though. And children are welcome.
但是你可以带它们沿着悬崖走一走。小孩子也可以来。
JAN: Right.
简:明白。
PETER: We also manage a nature reserve, and there's a lot to do there all year round.
彼得:我们还管理了一个自然保护区,每年有很多事情要做。
For example, because it's a popular place to visit, we spend a lot of time looking after the paths and making sure they're in good condition for walking.
比如,因为这是一个很受欢迎的景点,我们每年要花很多时间来养护小路,确保小路路况良好,适宜步行。
JAN: I could certainly help with that.
简:这个我肯定能帮忙。
PETER: Good. And we have a programme of creating new habitats there.
彼得:好的。另外,我们在那里还创立了新的栖息地的项目。
We've just finished making and installing nesting boxes for birds to use, and next we're going to work on encouraging insects – they're important for the biodiversity of the reserve.
我们刚刚完成了供鸟类使用的新鸟巢的制作和安装。接下来,我们将致力于促进昆虫的繁殖,它们对于生物多样性的保护有重要的作用。
JAN: They certainly are.
简:确实如此。
PETER: Oh, and we're also running a project to identify the different species of butterflies that visit the reserve.
彼得:对了,我们还有一个正在做的项目,确定飞来保护区的蝴蝶的种类。
You might be interested in taking part in that.
你也许会有兴趣加入。
JAN: Sure. I was involved in something similar where I used to live, counting all the species of moths.
简:是的。在我原来住的地方,我加入过类似的项目,是统计所有的飞蛾的种类。
I'd enjoy that.
我会做得很开心。
PETER: Another job we're doing at the reserve is replacing the wall on the southern side, between the parking area and our woodshed.
彼得:我们在保护区做的另一项工作是更换停车场和木屋之间的墙,在保护区的南边。
It was badly damaged in a storm last month.
由于上个月的风暴,这面墙损坏严重。
JAN: OK.
简:好的。
PETER: Then as I said, we have a programme of events as well, both at the weekend, and during the week.
彼得:正如我之前所说,我们也有一些活动项目,周内周末都有。
JAN: Right. I presume you have guided walks?
简:好的。我猜也有导游陪同的步行活动是吗?
I'd like to get to know the local countryside, as I'm new to the area.
因为我刚刚来到这个地方,我想要了解一下当地的乡村。
PETER: Yes, we do. The next walk is to Ruston Island, a week on Saturday.
彼得:是的,有的。下一次步行是下周六,去鲁斯顿岛。
We'll be meeting in the car park at Dunsmore Beach at low tide – that's when the sands are dry enough for us to walk to the island without getting wet.
我们将在落潮时在邓斯莫尔海滩的停车场会面,那时沙滩已经足够干燥,我们可以步行到岛上,同时也不会弄湿衣服。
JAN: Sounds good.
简:听起来不错。
PETER: The island's a great place to explore.
彼得:这个岛是适合探险的好地方。
It's quite small, and it's got a range of habitats.
岛不大,岛上有许多栖息地。
It's also an ideal location for seeing seals just off the coast, or even on the beach.
这里也是观察海豹的理想地点。可以看到海岸边,甚至是在海滩上的海豹。
JAN: OK. And is there anything we should bring, like a picnic, for instance?
简:好的。需要我们带什么吗?比如,野餐?
PETER: Yes, do bring one, as it's a full-day walk.
彼得:需要的,务必带一份儿,因为要走一整天。
And of course it'll be wet walking across and back, so make sure your boots are waterproof.
另外,来来回回地走鞋子一定会湿,所以确保你穿的靴子是防水的。
JAN: I must buy a new pair – there's a hole in one of my current ones!
简:我得买一双新的了。现在的这双有一只有个洞。
Well, I'd definitely like to come on the walk.
好的,我肯定会参加这次步行活动。
PETER: Great. Then later this month we're having a one-day woodwork session in Hopton Wood.
彼得:太好了。本月晚些时候我们会在霍普顿森林举行为期一天的木工活动。
JAN: I've never tried that before.
简:我之前从没有参加过那种活动。
Is it OK for beginners to take part?
初学者可以参加吗?
PETER: Definitely. There'll be a couple of experts leading the session, and we keep the number of participants down, so you'll get as much help as you need.
彼得:绝对可以的。当天会有一些专家来指导,我们会控制参与者的人数,这样你们就能得到尽可能多的帮助。
JAN: Excellent! I'd love to be able to make chairs.
简:完美!我希望能制作椅子。
PETER: That's probably too ambitious for one day!
彼得:想要一天完成的话,这个期待可能有点儿太多。
You'll be starting with wooden spoons, and of course learning how to use the tools.
开始的时候会做木勺子,当然还要学习如何使用木工工具。
And anything you make is yours to take home with you.
你做的任何东西都是你的,可以带回家。
JAN: That sounds like fun. When is it?
简:听起来很有趣。活动在什么时候?
PETER: It's on the 17th, from 10 a.m. until 3.
彼得:在17号,从上午十点到下午3点。
There's a charge of £35, including lunch, or £40 if you want to camp in the wood.
活动收费是35英镑,提供午饭。如果想要在森林里面宿营的话是40英镑。
JAN: I should think I'll come home the same day.
简:我觉得我当天会回家。
Well, I'd certainly like to join the group.
总之,我很愿意加入你们。
下一题
剑17 Test 1 Part 2