TOM: One part of the project I'm unsure about is where we choose some paintings of birds and say what they mean to us.
汤姆:关于这个项目,我不太确定的是我们从哪里选择关于鸟的画作然后解释它们对我们的意义。
Like, I chose a painting of a falcon by Landseer.
比如,我选择了兰西尔的一幅猎鹰图。
I like it because the bird's standing there with his head turned to one side, but he seems to be staring straight at you.
我喜欢这只鸟,因为它站在那里,头转向一边,但它似乎正盯着你。
But I can' t just say it's a bit scary, can I?
但我不能只是说这有点吓人,对吧?
JESS: You could talk about the possible danger suggested by the bird's look.
杰斯:你可以聊一下这只鸟的神情暗示着可能出现的危机。
TOM: Oh, OK.
汤姆:哦,好的。
JESS: There's a picture of a fish hawk by Audubon I like.
杰斯:我喜欢的是奥杜邦的一幅鱼鹰图。
It's swooping over the water with a fish in its talons, and with great black wings which take up most of the picture.
它用爪子抓着一条鱼俯冲在水面上,巨大的黑色翅膀占据了大部分画面。
TOM: So you could discuss it in relation to predators and food chains?
汤姆:所以你可以从捕食者和食物链的关系来分析这幅图?
JESS: Well actually I think I'll concentrate on the impression of rapid motion it gives.
杰斯:实际上我觉得我会集中于对于鱼鹰的快速移动的印象。
TOM: Right.
汤姆:明白了。
JESS: Do you know that picture of a kingfisher by van Gogh – it's perching on a reed growing near stream.
杰斯:你知道梵高的那张翠鸟图吗?它栖息在小溪边生长的芦苇上。
TOM: Yes it's got these beautiful blue and red and black shades.
汤姆:是的,图中有漂亮的蓝色,红色和黑色。
JESS: Mm hm. I've actually chosen it because I saw a real kingfisher once when I was little, I was out walking with my grandfather, and I've never forgotten it.
杰斯:嗯,我之所以选择它,是因为我小时候见过一只真正的翠鸟,当时我和爷爷一起出去散步,我从来没有忘记过。
TOM: So we can use a personal link?
汤姆:所以我们可以写画和个人的联系?
JESS: Sure.
杰斯:没错。
TOM: OK. There's a portrait called William Wells, I can't remember the artist but it's a middle-aged man who's just shot a bird.
汤姆:好了。有一幅肖像画叫《威廉·威尔斯》,我不记得画家了,但画的是一个刚刚射杀了一只鸟的中年人。
And his expression, and the way he's holding the bird in his hand suggests he's not sure about what he's done.
他的表情和他手里拿着鸟的样子都显示出他不确定自己刚刚做了什么。
To me it's about how ambiguous people are in the way they exploit the natural world.
对我而言,这幅画展示的是人类对于开发自然世界的方式的模糊性。
JESS: Interesting.There's Gauguin's picture Vairumati.
杰斯:挺有意思的。还有一幅是高更的《薇玛蒂》。
He did it in Tahiti.
这幅画创造于大溪地。
It's a woman with a white bird behind her that is eating a lizard, and what I'm interested in is what idea this bird refers to.
画中一个女人的背后有一只正在捕食蜥蜴的白鸟。我好奇的是这只鸟代表的含义。
Apparently, it's a reference to the never-ending cycle of existence.
很明显,这里指的是永无止境的生命的循环。
TOM: Wow. I chose a portrait of a little boy, Giovanni de Medici.
汤姆:哇哦。我选了乔凡尼·德·美第奇画的一个小男孩的肖像画。
He's holding a tiny bird in one fist.
他把一只小鸟握在手里。
I like the way he's holding it carefully so he doesn't hurt it.
我喜欢他小心拿着它的样子,这样他就不会伤害它了。
JESS: Ah right.
杰斯:明白了。
下一题
剑16 undefined