A
he was not nervous.
B
his style was good.
C
the presentation was the best in his group.
A
Their presentations were not interesting.
B
They found their presentations stressful.
C
They didn't look at the audience enough.
A
delighted.
B
dissatisfied.
C
embarrassed.
A
not very happy
B
really pleased
C
fairly confident
A
They are polite to each other.
B
They agree to take turns in speaking.
C
They know each other well.
A
She finds the other students' opinions more interesting.
B
She is making more of a contribution.
C
The tutor includes her in the discussion.
A
consulted reference materials.
B
had extra tutorials with her lecturers.
C
borrowed lecture notes from other students.
A
He reads faster than he used to.
B
It still takes him a long time to read.
C
He tends to struggle with new vocabulary.
A
environmental studies
B
health education
C
engineering
A
learn more vocabulary.
B
read more in their own subject areas.
C
develop better reading strategies.
SECTION 3
TEACHER: Before we start, Spiros and Hiroko, thanks for coming in today to talk about your recent study experiences and congratulations to you both in doing so well in your first semester exams!
老师:在我们开始前,斯皮罗斯和广子,感激你们今天前来谈论你们最近的学习经历,并恭喜你们两位都在你们的第一学期考试中表现非常出色。
I'd like to discuss with you the value of the English for Academic Purposes course you did here last year before starting your university course.
我希望和你们来探讨一下在你们进入大学课程之前所学习的学术英语课程的价值。
Spiros, if I could start with you, what parts of the progamme have now proved to be particularly valuable to you?
斯皮罗斯,我从你这里开始,课程中哪一个部分现在证实对你最有意义?
SPIROS: I think that having to do a seminar presentation really helped me.
斯皮罗斯:我认为帮助我最大的是我们必须要做一个讨论课的演讲。
For example, a couple of weeks ago in our marketing subject, when it was my turn to give a presentation I felt quite confident.
举例来说,几周前我们的市场营销课上,当我需要做一个演讲的时候,我觉得特自信。
Of course, I was still nervous but because I had done one before, I knew what to expect.
当然,我还是会紧张,但因为我之前做过演讲了,我知道会是什么样的。
Also, I know I was well-prepared and I had practised my timing.
而且,我知道自己准备得不错,对时间控制也练习多次。
In fact, I think that in relation to some of the other people in my group, I did quite a good job because my overall style was quite professional.
实际上,我觉得相较于我们组的其他人,我做得不错,因为我的整个风格都很专业。
What about you, Hiroko?
你呢,广子?
HIROKO: Mmm, that's interesting. In my group, I was really surprised by the way the students did their presentations - they just read their notes aloud!
广子:嗯,这太有趣了。在我们组里,我真被学生们做演讲的方式惊呆了,他们只是大声读笔记。
Can you believe that?
你能相信吗?
They didn't worry about their presentation style or keeping eye contact with their audience - and I remember that these things were really stressed to us in the course here.
他们不在意他们的演讲风格,也不在意和观众的眼神交流。我记得在课程中这些事都是被强调的内容。
TEACHER: So, how did you approach your presentation, Hiroko?
老师:所以,你是怎么做演讲的呢,广子?
HIROKO: Well, to speak frankly, I read my notes too!
广子:其实,老实讲,我也是读笔记。
At the time, it was a relief to do it this way, but actually when I had finished, I didn't feel any real sense of satisfaction.
当时,这么做是挺轻松的,但其实当我说完了,我没感受到一点真正的满足感。
I didn't feel positive about the experience at all.
我根本不觉得这次经历积极向上。
SPIROS: That's a pity. You know, although I was pleased with my presentation, I am not so pleased with my actual performance right now in the tutorials - during the whole semester I've not said anything in our tutorial discussions. Not a word.
斯皮罗斯:这真遗憾。你知道,虽然我很满意我的表现,我并不太满意我现在在辅导课程里的实际表现,整个学期里,我都没有在辅导课讨论中发过言。一个字也没说。
HIROKO: Really, Spiros? Why's that?
广子:真的吗,斯皮罗斯?那是为什么呢?
Do the other students talk too much?
是因为其他学生说太多了吗?
SPIROS: It's partly that, but it's mostly because I have had no confidence to speak out.
斯皮罗斯:那是一部分原因,但是主要是因为我没有自信大声说话。
Their style of speaking is so different - it's not the style we were used to during the course.
他们说话的方式挺不一样,不是我们课程里所习惯的那样。
They use so many colloquialisms, they're not very polite and sometimes there seems to be no order in their discussion.
他们使用俚语,不怎么礼貌,并且有时候他们的讨论会有点杂乱无章。
Also, they are very familiar with each other, so because they know each other's habits, they can let each other into the discussion.
另外,他们彼此熟悉,所以他们了解彼此的习惯,他们就可以让对方加入到讨论中来。
HIROKO: You're right, Spiros, I've experienced that too.
广子:对的,斯皮罗斯,我也遇到那种情况。
HIROKO: For most of this semester, I've said absolutely nothing in tutorials.
广子:这学期大部分时间,辅导课上我基本说不上话。
But recently, I've been trying to speak up more and I just jump in, and I've noticed an interesting thing, I've noticed that if they thought my point was interesting or new, then the next time they actually asked for my opinion, and then it was much easier for me to be part of the discussion.
斯皮罗斯:但是最近,我已经试着多说,并且也融入了,并且我发现一个有趣的事儿,我发现当他们觉得我的观点有趣或者新颖,那么下一次他们就真得问我意见,这样我成为讨论中的一份子就简单多了。
SPIROS: That's great, Hiroko! I hope that happens for me next Semester - I'll have to work hard to find some interesting points.
太棒了,广子!我希望下学期这也能发生在我身上,我得努力找一些有趣的观点。
What helped you to find these ideas?
什么帮助你找到这些想法的呢?
HIROKO: I think that one thing that helped me with this was the reading.
广子:我觉得其中一个帮助到我的事儿是阅读。
I've had to do so much reading this semester just to help me make sense of the lectures.
我这学期做了大量阅读,帮我理解讲课的内容。
At first I couldn't understand what the lecturers were talking about, so I had to turn to the books and journals.
一开始我都不能明白课上在讲什么,于是我开始转向书籍和期刊。
Every night I read for hours, using the lists of references that were given, and I made pages of notes.
每天晚上,利用所给的参考书目,我都阅读好几小时,并且做很多页笔记。
At breakfast, I read and read my notes again.
早餐的时候,我再一次阅读,并阅读我的笔记。
This habit has helped me to follow the ideas in the lectures, and it's also given me some ideas to use in the tutorials.
这个习惯帮我能够跟上课堂观点,也给我一些辅导课上可以用的想法。
SPIROS: But I did so much reading anyway - I don't think there's any time left over for anything extra.
斯皮罗斯:但我也做了不少阅读,我觉得都没有多余时间给额外阅读了。
My reading speed is still quite slow, though I'm much better at dealing with vocabulary than I used to be.
我的阅读速度还是挺慢,尽管我现在处理单词比之前好多了。
TEACHER: What else do you think we could add to the course program to help with this reading problem?
老师:你们觉得我们还可以加一些什么在课程里来帮助解决阅读问题?
SPIROS: There's not really anything because it's my problem.
斯皮罗斯:真没什么了,因为这是我的问题。
I remember we were given long articles to read.
我记得之前给我们长文章去读。
We didn't like that but now I realise that reading those long articles was good preparation for the things I need to read now.
我们不喜欢,但现在我意识到读那些长文章对我现在要读的这些来说是很好的准备。
Also, in class we regularly had speed-reading tasks to do, and we kept a record of our reading speed, so the teachers were encouraging us to work on that.
而且,在课上我们时常有快速阅读任务,并且也记录我们的阅读速度,老师们是鼓励我们在这那上面努力。
HIROKO: That's true Spiros, but what we read could have been different.
广子:这不假,斯皮罗斯。但我们现在读的有所不同呢。
Sometimes in the English class I felt frustrated when I had to read articles about the environment or health or education, because I wanted to concentrate on my own field, but we didn't read anything about engineering.
有时候在英语课上,我们阅读关于环境和教育的文章时,我觉得挺沮丧的,因为我想要读我自己方向的,但我们却没有阅读过任何关于工程的。
So, I think I wasted some time learning vocabulary I didn't need.
因此,我觉得自己浪费了一些时间在学习用不到的词汇。
TEACHER: But surely the strategies you were taught for dealing with that vocabulary were helpful.
老师:但可以肯定那些教给你处理词汇的方法是有帮助的。
HIROKO: Yes, but psychologically speaking, I would have felt much better working on reading from my own field.
广子:是的,但从心理上来说,如果可以阅读我自己领域的文章,我会感觉好得多。
What do you think Spiros?
你怎么看,斯皮罗斯?
SPIROS: I agree; that would have helped my confidence too and I would have been more motivated.
斯皮罗斯:我同意;那样也会帮助我的自信,并且我会更有动力。
It was good though that we could work on our own topics when we wrote the research assignments.
当我们写研究作业的时候,这对于我们研究的题目也有帮助。
TEACHER: Okay, let's move on to writing now ...
老师:好的,现在我们来聊聊写作。
上一题
剑9 Test 1 Section 2下一题
剑9 Test 1 Section 4