A
the stories his grandfather told him
B
the times when he watched his grandfather working
C
the way he imagined his grandfather at work
A
repetition of words and phrases.
B
scenery painted in dull colours.
C
long pauses within conversations.
A
He likes to have clear guidelines.
B
He copes well with stress.
C
He thinks he is a good leader.
A
political developments.
B
changing social attitudes.
C
economic transformations.
A
one person forgetting their words
B
an equipment failure
C
the injury of one character
SECTION 3
MIA: Hi, Rob. How's the course going?
米娅:嗨,罗布。课程进行的如何?
ROB: Oh, hi, Mia. Yeah, great.
罗布:哦嗨,米娅。很不错。
I can't believe the first term's nearly over.
我真不敢相信第一学期马上要结束了。
MIA: I saw your group's performance last night at the student theatre. It was good.
米娅:我昨天晚上在学生剧院看到你们组的演出了。很不错。
ROB: Really? Yeah ... but now we have to write a report on the whole thing, an in-depth analysis.
罗布:是吗?好吧…… 但是现在我们得写一个关于整件事情的报告,一个深入的分析。
I don't know where to start.
我不知道从哪儿开始。
Like, I have to write about the role I played, the doctor, how I developed the character.
比如,我必须要写我参演的角色——医生以及我如何挖掘这个形象。
MIA: Well, what was your starting point?
米娅:好吧,你的起点是什么?
ROB: Er ... my grandfather was a doctor before he retired, and I just based it on him.
罗布:呃…… 我的爷爷在退休前是个医生,我是基于他的故事。
MIA: OK, but how? Did you talk to him about it?
米娅:好的,但怎么做呢?你有没有和他谈过?
ROB: He must have all sorts of stories, but he never says much about his work, even now.
罗布:他一定有各种故事,但是他从不多谈他的工作,甚至现在也如此。
He has a sort of authority though.
可是他有种权威。
MIA: So how did you manage to capture that?
米娅:所以那你怎样设法捕捉到这个的?
ROB: I'd ... I'd visualise what he must have been like in the past, when he was sitting in his consulting room listening to his patients.
罗布:我想,我想象了一下他在过去坐在他的咨询室里听病人说话的时候是什么样子的。
MIA: OK, so that's what you explain in your report.
米娅:好的,这就是你在报告里要解释的。
ROB: Right.
罗布:好的。
MIA: Then there's the issue of atmosphere – so in the first scene we needed to know how boring life was in the doctor's village in the 1950s, so when the curtain went up on the first scene in the waiting room, there was that long silence before anyone spoke.
米娅:然后有关于环境氛围的问题。所以在第一幕,我们需要知道在20世纪50年代在医生的村子里生活是有多么乏味,所以当大幕拉开的时候在人们开始说话前有一段长长的寂静。
And then people kept saying the same thing over and over, like 'Cold, isn't it?’
之后人们开始一遍遍说着同样的内容,比如“真冷,是不是?”
ROB: Yes, and everyone wore grey and brown, and just sat in a row.
罗布:是的,每个人都穿灰色和棕色的衣服,坐成一排。
MIA: Yes, all those details of the production.
米娅:是的,制作过程中所有这些细节。
ROB: And I have to analyse how I functioned in the group – what I found out about myself.
罗布:而且我还要分析我在团队中的作用,我对我自己的认知。
I know I was so frustrated at times, when we couldn't agree.
我知道当我们意见不统一时我有时非常沮丧。
MIA: Yes. So did one person emerge as the leader?
米娅:是的。所以有没有人成了领头人?
ROB: Sophia did. That was OK – she helped us work out exactly what to do, for the production.
罗布:索菲亚出现了。这还好,她帮助我们整理出为了制作到底要做哪些是。
And that made me feel better. I suppose.
这让我觉得好些。我想。
MIA: When you understood what needed doing?
米娅:当你明白需要做什么的时候?
ROB: Yes. And Sophia did some research, too.
罗布:是的。而且索菲亚还做了些研究。
That was useful in developing our approach.
这对于形成我们的方法很有用。
MIA: Like what?
米娅:比如说?
ROB: Well, she found these articles from the 1950s about how relationships between children and their parents, or between the public and people like bank managers or the police were shifting.
罗布:嗯,她发现了这些50年代的文章,是关于孩子和家长、公众和银行经理或者警察一类人的关系是如何颠倒的。
MIA: Interesting. And did you have any practical problems to overcome?
米娅:有意思。你遇到了什么需要克服的实际问题吗?
ROB: Well, in the final rehearsal everything was going fine until the last scene – that's where the doctor's first patient appears on stage on his own.
罗布:嗯,在最后一遍排练的时候,在最后一幕之前一切都进展顺利,这一幕就是医生的第一个病人独自出现在舞台上。
MIA: The one in the wheelchair?
米娅:就是坐轮椅的那个人?
ROB: Yes, and he had this really long speech, with the stage all dark except for one spotlight – and then that stuck somehow so it was shining on the wrong side of the stage ... but anyway we got that fixed, thank goodness.
罗布:是的,他有一段很长的台词,整个舞台漆黑一片只有照向他的一束光亮。之后聚光灯卡住了,所以它照向了舞台的另一面…… 但是无论怎样,我们修好了它,谢天谢地。
MIA: Yes, it was fine on the night.
米娅:是的,那天晚上它运转正常。
ROB: But while you're here, Mia, I wanted to ask you about the year abroad option.
罗布:但是既然你在这儿,米娅,我想问问你如何选择海外交换。
Would you recommend doing that?
你会推荐这么做吗?
MIA: Yes, definitely. It's a fantastic chance to study in another country for a year.
米娅:是的,当然会。这是一个在其他国家学习一年的绝佳机会。
ROB: I think I'd like to do it, but it looks very competitive – there's only a limited number of places.
罗布:我想我愿意,但是看起来竞争激烈,因为位置有限。
MIA: Yes, so next year when you are in the second year of the course, you need to work really hard in all your theatre studies modules.
米娅:是的,所以明年大二的时候,你需要努力学习剧院研究的模块课程。
Only students with good marks get places – you have to prove that you know your subject really well.
只有成绩好的学生才能得到这些位置。你需要证明你对于你的科目十分了解。
ROB: Right. So how did you choose where to go?
罗布:好的。所以你怎样选择去哪里?
MIA: Well.I decided I wanted a programme that would fit in with what I wanted to do after I graduate, so I looked for a university with emphasis on acting rather than directing for example.
米娅:好吧。比如,我决定我想要一个可以满足我毕业后想做的事情的项目,所以我寻找了一个重点在表演而不是导演上的大学。
It depends on you.
这取决于你。
Then about six months before you go, you have to email the scheme coordinator with your top three choices.
之后在你走之前的六个月,你必须要给计划的协调人发邮件,告知你的前三个选择。
I had a friend who missed the deadline and didn't get her first choice, so you do need to get a move on at that stage.
我有个朋友忘记了截止日期,所以没有得到她的第一志愿,所以你必须在那个阶段向前推进。
You'll find that certain places are very popular with everyone.
你会发现有些地方对于每个人都很受欢迎。
ROB: And don't you have to write a personal statement at that stage?
罗布:在那个阶段你不需要写份个人陈述吗?
MIA: Yes.
米娅:是的需要。
ROB: Right. I'll get some of the final year students to give me some tips ... maybe see if I can read what they wrote.
罗布:好的。我会向即将毕业的学生寻求建议…… 也许是看看我能不能看懂他们写的东西。
MIA: I think that's a very good idea.
米娅:我想这个主意不错。
I don't mind showing you what I did.
我不介意给你看看我写的。
And while you're abroad don't make the mistake I made.
当你在国外时,不要犯我犯过的错误。
I got so involved. I forgot all about making arrangements for when I came back here for the final year.
我太投入了。我忘了所有关于为我最后一年回到这里做的安排。
Make sure you stay in touch so they know your choices for the optional modules.
确保你和这里保持联系,这样他们就知道你对于选学模块的选择了。
You don't want to miss out doing your preferred specialisms.
你不想错过参加你擅长的专业。
ROB: Right.
罗布:是的。
上一题
剑10 Test 3 Section 2下一题
剑10 Test 3 Section 4