首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑13 Test 3 Section 3
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21-24
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.

Project on using natural dyes to colour fabrics 
21 What first inspired Jim to choose this project?

A

textiles displayed in an exhibition

B

a book about a botanic garden

C

carpets he saw on holiday

22 Jim eventually decided to do a practical investigation which involved

A

using a range of dyes with different fibres.

B

applying different dyes to one type of fibre.

C

testing one dye and a range of fibres.

23 When doing his experiments, Jim was surprised by

A

how much natural material was needed to make the dye.

B

the fact that dyes were widely available on the internet.

C

the time that he had to leave the fabric in the dye.

24 What problem did Jim have with using tartrazine as a fabric dye?

A

It caused a slight allergic reaction.

B

It was not a permanent dye on cotton.

C

It was ineffective when used on nylon.

Questions 25-30
What problem is identified with each of the following natural dyes?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 25-30.

Problems
A It is expensive.
B The colour is too strong.
C The colour is not long-lasting.
D It is very poisonous.
E It can damage the fabric.
F The colour may be unexpected.
G It is unsuitable for some fabrics.
H It is not generally available.

Natural dyes 
25 turmeric  
26 beetroot  
27 Tyrian purple  
28 logwood  
29 cochineal  
30 metal oxide  

SECTION 3

TUTOR: OK, Jim. You wanted to see me about your textile design project.

导师:好,吉姆。你想和我谈谈你的纺织品设计项目。

JIM: That's right.

吉姆:是的。

I've been looking at how a range of natural dyes can be used to colour fabrics like cotton and wool.

我一直在研究如何用各种天然染料给棉花和羊毛等织物上色。

TUTOR: Why did you choose that topic?

导师:你为什么选择这个话题?

JIM: Well, I got a lot of useful ideas from the museum, you know, at that exhibition of textiles.

吉姆:我从博物馆得到了很多有用的想法,你知道的,就是那个纺织品展览。

But I've always been interested in anything to do with colour.

但是我一直对任何与颜色有关的东西都感兴趣。

Years ago, I went to a carpet shop with my parents when we were on holiday in Turkey, and I remember all the amazing colours.

几年前,我和父母去土耳其度假时去了一家地毯店,我记得那些所有令人惊艳的颜色。

TUTOR: They might not all have been natural dyes.

导师:他们可能并不都是天然染料。

JIM: Maybe not, but for the project I decided to follow it up.

吉姆:也许不是,但为了项目,我决定继续研究这个话题。

And I found a great book about a botanic garden in California that specialises in plants used for dyes.

我还发现了一本很棒的书,是关于加利福尼亚的一个专门种植用于染料的植物园。

TUTOR: OK. So, in your project, you had to include a practical investigation.

导师:好的。所以,在你的项目中,你必须有一个实际的调查。

JIM: Yeah. At first I couldn't decide on my variables.

吉姆:是的。一开始我无法决定变量。

I was going to just look at one type of fibre for example, like cotton ...

我只看一种纤维,例如棉花……

TUTOR: ... and see how different types of dyes affected it?

导师:还要观察不同类型的染料如何影响它?

JIM: Yes. Then I decided to include others as well, so I looked at cotton and wool and nylon.

吉姆:是的。然后我决定把其他的也包括进来,所以我观察了棉、羊毛和尼龙。

TUTOR: With just one type of dye?

导师:只用一种染料?

JIM: Various types, including some that weren't natural, for comparison.

吉姆:各种类型的。包括一些不是纯天然的染料来做比较。

TUTOR: OK.

导师:好的。

JIM: So, I did the experiments last week.

吉姆:所以,我上周做了实验。

I used some ready-made natural dyes, I found a website which supplied them, they came in just a few days, but I also made some of my own.

我用了一些现成的天然染料,我找到了一个销售网站,几天就收到了,但我也自己做了一些。

TUTOR: That must have taken quite a bit of time.

导师:这一定会花相当多的时间。

JIM: Yes, I'd thought it'd just be a matter of a teaspoon or so of dye, and actually that wasn't the case at all.

吉姆:是的,我认为只需要用大约一茶匙的染料,实际上并非如此。

Like I was using one vegetable, beetroot, for a red dye, and I had to chop up a whole pile of it.

我用了一种蔬菜,甜菜根,做红色的染料。我不得不把它整个切碎。

So it all took longer than I'd expected.

所以花的时间比我预想的要长。

TUTOR: One possibility is to use food colourings.

导师:有一种可能的方法是使用食品色素。

JIM: I did use one. That was a yellow dye, an artificial one.

吉姆:我用过一个。那是一种黄色染料,一种人造染料。

TUTOR: Tartrazine?

导师:柠檬黄?

JIM: Yeah. I used it on cotton first.

吉姆:是的。我先用在棉花上。

It came out a great colour, but when I rinsed the material, the colour just washed away.

它呈现的颜色很好,但当我冲洗材料时,颜色就被洗掉了。

I'd been going to try it out on nylon, but I abandoned that idea.

我本来打算在尼龙上试试,但我放弃了这个想法。

TUTOR: Were you worried about health issues?

导师:你担心健康问题吗?

JIM: I'd thought if it's a legal food colouring, it must be safe.

吉姆:我想如果这是一个合法的食用色素,它必须是安全的。

TUTOR: Well, it can occasionally cause allergic reactions, I believe.

老师:嗯, 我相信它有时也会引起过敏反应。

TUTOR: So what natural dyes did you look at?

导师:那么你在考虑哪些天然染料?

JIM: Well, one was turmeric.

吉姆:嗯,一个是姜黄,

The colour's great, it's a really strong yellow.

颜色很好,是一种很深的黄色。

It's generally used in dishes like curry.

它通常用于像咖喱这样的菜肴中。

TUTOR: It's meant to be quite good for your health when eaten, but you might find it's not permanent when it's used as a dye - a few washes, and it's gone.

导师:食用时,它似乎对你的健康很好,但你可能会发现用作染料时,它不是永久性的,经过几次冲洗,它就掉色了。

JIM: Right. I used beetroot as a dye for wool.

吉姆:是的。我用甜菜根作羊毛的染料。

When I chop up beetroot to eat I always end up with bright red hands, but the wool ended up just a sort of watery cream shade. Disappointing.

当我切甜菜根吃的时候,我的手总是红彤彤的,但是羊毛最后变成了一种稀奶油色。令人失望。

TUTOR: There's a natural dye called Tyrian purple.

导师:有一种叫做泰尔红紫的天然染料。

Have you heard of that?

你听说过吗?

JIM: Yes. It comes from a shellfish, and it was worn in ancient times but only by important people as it was so rare.

吉姆:听说过。它来自一种贝类,在古代因为它非常罕见,只有重要人物才能穿这种颜色。

I didn't use it.

我没有用过它。

TUTOR: It fell out of use centuries ago, though one researcher managed to get hold of some recently.

导师:几个世纪前它不用了,尽管最近一位研究人员设法找到了一些。

But that shade of purple can be produced by chemical dyes nowadays.

但是现在那种紫色的色度可以用化学染料染出来。

Did you use any black dyes?

你用过黑色染料吗?

JIM: Logwood. That was quite complicated.

吉姆:洋苏木。这种染料使用相当复杂。

I had to prepare the fabric so the dye would take.

我需要提前处理好布料,这样染料才能上色。

TUTOR: I hope you were careful to wear gloves.

导师:我希望你小心,要戴手套。

JIM: Yes. I know the danger with that dye.

吉姆:好的。我知道那种染料有危险。

TUTOR: Good. It can be extremely dangerous if it's ingested.

导师:很好。如果你摄入它,会非常危险。

Now, presumably you had a look at an insect-based dye?

现在,也许你考虑过一种昆虫染料?

Like cochineal, for example?

比如说胭脂红?

JIM: Yes. I didn't actually make that, I didn't have time to start crushing up insects to get the red colour and anyway they're not available here, but I managed to get the dye quite easily from a website.

吉姆:是的。我并没有做那个,我没有时间去碾碎昆虫来得到那种红色,这不容易实现,但是我很容易地从一个网站上得到了染料。

But it cost a fortune.

但它花了我一大笔钱。

I can see why it's generally just used in cooking, and in small quantities.

我可以理解为什么人们只在烹饪中少量地使用这种染料了。

TUTOR: Yes, it's very effective, but that's precisely why it's not used as a dye.

导师:是的,它非常有效的,但这正是为什么不被用作染料的原因。

JIM: I also read about using metal oxide.

吉姆:我也读过关于使用金属氧化物的相关读物。

Apparently you can allow iron to rust while it's in contact with the fabric, and that colours it.

很明显,当铁接触织物时,会让它生锈,从而使织物变色。

TUTOR: Yes, that works well for dying cotton.

导师:是的,它适用于染棉质织物。

But you have to be careful as the metal can actually affect the fabric and so you can't expect to get a lot of wear out of fabrics treated in this way.

但是你必须小心,因为金属会影响织物,所以不要期待通过这种方法染出的织物的还能很耐用。

And the colours are quite subtle, not everyone likes them.

并且织物的颜色很微妙,不是每个人都喜欢。

Anyway, it looks as if you've done a lot of work ...

总之,看起来你做了很多工作……

上一题

剑13 Test 3 Section 2

下一题

剑13 Test 3 Section 4