A
with a drawing of woolly mammoths in their natural habitat
B
with a timeline showing when woolly mammoths lived
C
with a video clip about woolly mammoths
A
It was still embedded in the mammoth's jawbone.
B
It was from an unknown species of mammoth.
C
It was not as old as mammoth remains from elsewhere.
A
became isolated on the island.
B
spread from the island to other areas.
C
coexisted with other animals on the island.
A
how exact it is
B
how early it is
C
how it was established
SECTION 3
TUTOR: So, Rosie and Martin, let's look at what you've got for your presentation on woolly mammoths.
导师:那么,罗西和马丁,让我来看看你们为关于长毛猛犸象的展示做了哪些准备。
ROSIE: OK, we've got a short outline here.
罗西:好的,我们这儿有一个简短的大纲可以给您看看。
TUTOR: Thanks. So it's about a research project in North America?
导师:谢谢。所以这是在北美的一个研究项目?
MARTIN: Yes. But we thought we needed something general about woolly mammoths in our introduction, to establish that they were related to our modern elephant, and they lived thousands of years ago in the last ice age.
马丁:是的。但我们认为在引入部分中需要提到一些关于长毛猛犸象的简介,来构建一个它们与现代大象有关,且在数千年前的最后一个冰河时代生活过的概念。
ROSIE: Maybe we could show a video clip of a cartoon about mammoths.
罗西:也许我们可以放一段关于猛犸象的动画。
But that'd be a bit childish.
但这样可能有点幼稚。
Or we could have a diagram, it could be a timeline to show when they lived, with illustrations?
或者我们可以做一个带有插图的时间轴图表,来说明猛犸象生活的时代?
MARTIN: Or we could just show a drawing of them walking in the ice?
马丁:或者我们可以放一张猛犸象在冰上行走的图片?
No, let's go with your last suggestion.
不,就按你刚刚说的做吧。
TUTOR: Good. Then you're describing the discovery of the mammoth tooth on St Paul's Island in Alaska, and why it was significant.
导师:好的。接下来你们要讲到在阿拉斯加圣保罗岛上发现猛犸牙的事情,以及为什么这个发现很重要。
ROSIE: Yes. The tooth was found by a man called Russell Graham.
罗西:是的。这块牙齿是由一个名叫拉塞尔·格雷厄姆的人发现的。
He picked it up from under a rock in a cave.
他在山洞里的一块石头下捡到了它。
He knew it was special - for a start it was in really good condition, as if it had been just extracted from the animals jawbone.
他知道这颗牙齿非同寻常——首先它保存非常完好,就像刚从猛犸象的下颚骨中取下来一样。
Anyway, they found it was 6, 500 years old.
不管怎样,人们发现这块牙齿有6500年的历史了。
TUTOR: So why was that significant?
导师:那么这个发现为什么意义重大呢?
ROSIE: Well the mammoth bones previously found on the North American mainland were much less recent than that.
罗西:以前在北美大陆发现的猛犸象骨远没有这块牙齿的年代新。
So this was really amazing.
所以这真是太不可思议了。
MARTIN: Then we're making an animated diagram to show the geography of the area in prehistoric times.
马丁:接下来我们打算用一个动态图表来展示该地区在史前时代的地理位置。
So originally, St Paul's Island wasn't an island, it was connected to the mainland, and mammoths and other animals like bears were able to roam around the whole area.
所以一开始,圣保罗岛不是一个孤岛,它与大陆相连,猛犸象和熊等其他动物能够在整个地区自由行动。
ROSIE: Then the climate warmed up and the sea level began to rise, and the island got cut off from the mainland.
罗西:再然后气候变暖,海平面开始上升,圣保罗岛和大陆被海水隔开了。
So those mammoths on the island couldn't escape: they had to stay on the island.
所以岛上的那些猛犸象无法离开,只能留在岛上。
MARTIN: And in fact the species survived there for thousands of years after they'd become extinct on the mainland.
马丁:事实上,在大陆上的猛犸象灭绝后,岛上的猛犸象又存活了数千年。
TUTOR: So why do you think they died out on the mainland?
导师:那你为什么认为它们在大陆上灭绝了呢?
ROSIE: No one's sure.
罗西:没人能确定。
MARTIN: Anyway, next we'll explain how Graham and his team identified the date when the mammoths became extinct on the island.
马丁:不管怎样,接下来我们将解释,格雷厄姆和他的团队如何确定猛犸象在岛上灭绝的日期。
They concluded that the extinction happened 5,600 years ago, which is a very precise time for a prehistoric extinction.
他们的结论是灭绝发生在5600年前,对于史前的一次灭绝来说,这个时间非常精确。
It's based on samples they took from mud at the bottom of a lake on the island.
该结论是以他们从岛上的湖底泥浆中取出的样品为基础的。
They analysed it to find out what had fallen in over time - bits of plants, volcanic ash and even DNA from the mammoths themselves.
他们对样品进行了分析,以找出随时间的推移沉淀下来的东西——植物碎片、火山灰甚至是猛犸象本身的DNA。
It's standard procedure, but it took nearly two years to do.
这是分析样本的标准程序,但花了将近两年的时间来完成。
TUTOR: So why don't you quickly go through the main sections of your presentation and discuss what actions needed for each part?
导师:你们现在为什么不快速过一遍展示的几个主要部分,然后说说每个部分要做什么呢?
MARTIN: OK. So for the introduction, we're using a visual, so once we've prepared that we're done.
马丁:好的。关于引入部分,我们用的是视觉资料,所以只要我们准备好,就算完成了。
ROSIE: I'm not sure.
罗西:我不太确定。
I think we need to write down all the ideas we want to include here, not just rely on memory.
我觉得我们应该写下想要囊括的所有要点,而不能仅仅依赖记忆。
How we begin the presentation is so important...
这个展示的开头非常重要……
MARTIN: You're right.
马丁:你说的对。
ROSIE: The discovery of the mammoth tooth is probably the most dramatic part, but we don't have that much information, only what we got from the online article.
罗西:猛犸象牙的发现可能是最吸引人的部分,但我们没有那么多信息,只有从网络文章中搜集到的东西。
I thought maybe we could get in touch with the researcher who led the team and ask him to tell us a bit more.
我觉得也许我们可以联系一下当初带领那个考古团队的研究人员,让他多告诉我们一些信息。
MARTIN: Great idea. What about the section with the initial questions asked by the researchers?
马丁:好主意。那关于研究人员最初提出的问题的部分呢?
We've got a lot on that but we need to make it interesting.
我们在这方面倒是有很多信息,但我们需要让它变得有趣。
ROSIE: We could ask the audience to suggest some questions about it and then see how many of them we can answer.
罗西:我们可以请观众就这个话题来提问,然后看看我们可以答得上多少。
I don't think it would take too long.
这应该不会花太长时间。
TUTOR: Yes, that would add a bit of variety.
导师:嗯,这能让你们展示的形式更加多样。
MARTIN: Then the section on further research carried out on the island - analysing the mud in the lake.
马丁:然后是关于在岛上进行进一步研究——分析湖中的泥浆这一部分。
I wonder if we've actually got too much information here, should we cut some?
我在想这部分是不是信息量太大了,应该减少一些吗?
ROSIE: I don't think so, but it's all a bit muddled at present.
罗西:我觉得不应该减少,但现在这部分有些混乱。
MARTIN: Yes, maybe it would be better if it followed a chronological pattern.
马丁:是有些乱,如果按照时间排序的话,可能会好一些。
ROSIE: I think so.
罗西:我也这么觉得。
The findings and possible explanations section is just about ready, but we need to practise it so we're sure it won't overrun.
调查结果和可能需要解释的部分我们已经差不多准备好了,但还需要加以练习,免得超出时间限制。
MARTIN: I think it should be OK, but yes, let's make sure.
马丁:我觉得应该还好,但你说得对,我们还是多确认一下吧。
TUTOR: In the last section, relevance to the present day, you've got some good ideas but this is where you need to move away from the ideas of others and give your own viewpoint.
导师:在最后的与当今相关的这一部分,你们已经有了一些好的点子,但在这里你们需要跳脱出他人的想法,并提出自己的观点。
MARTIN: OK, we'll think about that.
马丁:好的,我们会想想这个方面。
Now shall we…
现在我们能……
上一题
剑14 Test 2 Section 2下一题
剑14 Test 2 Section 4