首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑10 Test 4 Section 3
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21 and 22
Choose TWO letters, A-E.

 
Which TWO skills did Laura improve as a result of her work placement?

A

communication

B

design

C

IT

D

marketing

E

organisation

Questions 23 and 24
Choose TWO letters, A-E.

 
Which TWO immediate benefits did the company get from Laura's work placement?

A

updates for its software

B

cost savings

C

an improved image

D

new clients

E

a growth in sales

Questions 25-30
What source of information should Tim use at each of the following stages of the work placement?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-G, next to questions 25-30.

Sources of information
A
company manager 
B company's personnel department 
C personal tutor 
D psychology department 
E mentor 
F university careers officer 
G internet 

Stages of the work placement procedure 
25 obtaining booklet                  
26 discussing options                   
27 getting updates                       
28 responding to invitation for interview    
29 informing about outcome of interview    
30 requesting a reference          

SECTION 3

TIM: Hi, Laura - could you spare a few minutes to talk about the work placement you did last summer?

提姆:嗨,萝拉。你可以花几分钟跟我说一下去年夏天你做的工作实习吗?

I'm thinking of doing one myself ...

我自己也在考虑去实习。

LAURA: Hi, Tim. Sure.

萝拉:嗨,提姆。当然可以。

TIM: Didn't you do yours at an environmental services company?

提姆:你是不是在一个环境服务公司做的?

LAURA: That's right ... It's only a very small company and they needed someone to produce a company brochure, and I wanted to get some business experience because I'm interested in a career in occupational psychology in a business environment.

萝拉:是的…… 它是一个很小的公司,需要有人帮他们生产公司手册。因为我对于商业环境下职业心理学相关的职业感兴趣,所以我想有些行业经验。

It was good because I had overall responsibility for the project.

这工作不错,因为我可以全权负责整个项目。

TIM: What kind of skills do you think you developed on the placement?

提姆:在实习中你觉得你自己锻炼了什么技能?

I mean, apart from the ones you already had ...

我的意思是,除了你现有的以外。

Did you have to do all the artwork for the brochure, the layout and everything?

你需要做所有手册的美工吗,排版什么的?

LAURA: We hired the services of a professional photographer for that.

萝拉:我们雇了一个职业摄影师来做这些。

I did have to use my IT skills to a certain extent because I cut and pasted text from marketing leaflets, but that didn't involve anything I hadn't done before.

从某种程度来讲,我的确得用到我的IT技术,因为我需要从市场传单中剪切和粘贴文本,但是这些都是我之前做过的事情。

TIM: Do you think you got any better at managing your time and prioritising things?

提姆:你觉得你自己在管理时间和优先处理事情方面有没有长进?

You always used to say you had trouble with that ...

你原来总说在这些方面你总遇到些问题……

LAURA: Oh, definitely. There was so much pressure to meet the project deadline.

萝拉:哦当然。在赶项目的截止日期时总是有很大的压力。

And I also got better at explaining things and asserting my opinions, because I had to have weekly consultations with the marketing manager and give him a progress report.

我解释说明,表达观点的能力也更好了,因为我必须每周和市场经理进行商讨,并且和他汇报进展。

TIM: It sounds as if you got a lot out of it then.

提姆:听起来你从中收获很多啊。

LAURA: Absolutely. It was really worthwhile …

萝拉:必须的。这真的很值得……

But you know, the company benefited too ...

但是你知道,公司也从中获益。

TIM: Yes, they must have done.

提姆:是的,他们当然如此。

After all, if they'd used a professional advertising agency to produce their brochure instead of doing it in-house, presumably they'd have paid a lot more?

毕竟,如果他们让专业的广告代理来制作手册,而不是在公司内部完成,估计他们要多花很多钱?

LAURA: Oh, yes. I worked it out – it would have been 250 per cent more.

萝拉:哦是的。我算下来,要多花超过250%。

And I thought the end result was good, even though we did everything on site.

我想最终的结果不错,尽管我们每件事都是在公司里完成的。

The company has quite a powerful computer and I managed to borrow some scanning software from the university.

公司的计算机很强大,我设法从学校借了一些扫描软件。

The new brochure looks really professional; it enhances the image of the company straight away.

新的手册看起来非常专业,立刻提升了公司的形象。

TIM: So in the long run it should help them to attract clients, and improve their sales figures?

提姆:所以从长远来看,这可以帮他们吸引客户,并且提升他们的销售数据?

LAURA: That's the idea. Yeah.

萝拉:就是这个意思。是的。

TIM: Well, all in all it sounds very positive - I think I will go ahead and apply for a placement myself.

提姆:那么,总体来说听起来很积极。我想我要继续申请我自己的实习了。

How do I go about it?

我怎么样做呢?

LAURA: It's easy enough to do, because there's a government agency called STEP - S-T-E-P - that organises placements for students.

萝拉:其实很简单,因为有个叫做“STEP”S-T-E-P的政府机构为学生组织实习。

You should start by getting their booklet with all the details - I expect you can download one from their website.

你应当在开始的时候拿他们的手册看看所有具体的信息。我估计你可以从网上下载。

TIM: Actually, they've got copies in the psychology department – I've seen them there.

提姆:事实上,心理学系有几份,我在那儿见过。

I'll just go to the office and pick one up.

我要赶紧去办公室拿一份。

LAURA: Right. And then if I were you, after I'd looked at it I'd go over all the options with someone …

萝拉:好的。然后如果我是你,看完后我会找个人分析所有的选项。

TIM: I suppose I should ask my tutor's advice.

提姆:我想我应该让我的导师给些建议。

He knows more about me than anyone.

他比任何人都了解我。

LAURA: One of the career officers would be better.

萝拉:找一个职业顾问应该更好些。

They've got more knowledge about the jobs market than your personal tutor would have.

他们比你的个人导师更了解就业市场。

TIM: OK ...

提姆:好的……

LAURA: And then when you know what you want you can register with STEP –you'll find their address in the booklet.

萝拉:然后,当你知道自己想和STEP在哪方面进行登记后,你能在手册上找到它的地址。

And once you've registered they assign you to a mentor who looks after your application.

一旦注册成功,他们会给你分配一位负责你的申请的导师。

TIM: And then I suppose you just sit back and wait till you hear something?

提姆:然后我估计你就坐等接下来的消息?

LAURA: They told me at the careers office that it's best to be proactive, and get updates yourself by checking the website for new placement alerts.

萝拉:职业办公室的人告诉我最好要积极主动些,自己通过查找网页的新实习提醒去更新你所掌握的情况。

Your mentor is supposed to keep you informed, but you can't rely on that.

你的导师应该会告知你这些信息,但是你不能依靠这种方式。

TIM: I don't suppose it's a good idea to get in touch with companies directly, is it?

提姆:我觉得不应该直接和公司联系,是不是?

LAURA: Not really... But it is the company who notifies you if they want you to go for an interview.

萝拉:不太好。但是的确是公司通知你是不是需要你去参加面试。

You get a letter of invitation or an email from Personnel departments.

你会从人事部门收到一封邀请信或者电邮。

TIM: And do I reply directly to them?

提姆:我要直接回复他们吗?

LAURA: Yes, you do.

萝拉:是的。

STEP only gets involved again once you've been made a job offer.

只有在你拿到录取通知后STEP会再次参与其中。

TIM: Right ... So, once you've had an interview you should let your mentor know what the outcome is?

提姆:好的。所以,一旦参加了面试,你应该让导师知道你的结果?

I mean whether you're offered a job, and whether you've decided to accept it?

我的意思是不管你有没有得到这份工作,也不论你决没决定接受这个份工作?

LAURA: That's right.

萝拉:是的。

They'll inform the careers office once a placement has been agreed, so you don't have to do that.

一旦确认实习,他们会通知职业办公室。所以你不必这么做。

TIM: Is that all then?

提姆:就这些了吗?

LAURA: More or less.

萝拉:差不多吧。

Only once you've accepted an offer you'll probably have to supply a reference, because the placement will be conditional on that.

只有当你接受入职通知,你可能要提供一封推荐信,因为实习的条件是基于这个的。

And that's something you should ask your own tutor to provide.

这是你需要让你的个人导师提供的。

He knows about your academic ability and also about your qualities, like reliability.

他知道你的学习能力和你的素质,比如可靠度。

TIM: Well, thanks very much for the information – I'm starting to look forward ...

提姆:好的,非常感谢你的信息,我开始期待了……

上一题

剑10 Test 4 Section 2

下一题

剑10 Test 4 Section 4