JACK: Right, let’s make a list of topics to cover in our presentation, and decide who’s going to do more research on them.
杰克:好了,让我们来列一个关于我们展示要谈到的话题的单子,然后决定谁将要再多做些研究。
Then later, we can get together and plan the next step.
之后,我们再一起做下一步计划。
ANNIE: OK. How about starting with how useful refrigeration is, and the range of goods that are refrigerated nowadays?
安妮:好的。展示以冰箱的用途开始怎么样?再说一下现在需要冷藏的各个种类的商品?
Because of course it’s not just food and drinks.
因为冰箱里放的当然不止是食物和饮料。
JACK: No, I suppose flowers and medicines are refrigerated, too.
杰克:是的,我想鲜花和药品也要冷藏。
ANNIE: And computers. I could do that, unless you particularly want to.
安妮:还有电脑。我可以讲这个,除非你特别想做。
JACK: No, that’s fine by me.
杰克:我就不用了。
What about the effects of refrigeration on people’s health?
聊聊冰箱对人的健康的影响怎么样?
After all, some of the chemicals used in the 19th century were pretty harmful, but there have been lots of benefits too, like always having access to fresh food.
毕竟19世纪的冰箱用到的化学物质对人身体伤害特别大,但是冰箱也有很多好处,比如总能让人们吃到新鲜的食物。
Do you fancy dealing with that?
你想要做这个吗?
ANNIE: I’m not terribly keen, to be honest.
安妮:说实话,我不是很想做。
JACK: Nor me. My mind just goes blank when I read anything about chemicals.
杰克:我也不想。我一读到和化学的东西脑子就一片空白。
ANNIE: Oh, all right then, I’ll do you a favour.
安妮:噢,那就算了,我帮你这个忙吧。
But you owe me, Jack.
但是杰克,记得你欠我一次啊。
OK. What about the effects on food producers, like farmers in poorer countries being able to export their produce to developed countries?
我来做吧。关于冰箱对食品制作者的影响呢?比如较为贫穷国家的农民能够把他们的产品出口到发达国家去?
Something for you, maybe?
也许你来做这个?
JACK: I don’t mind. It should be quite interesting.
杰克:我没问题。应该还挺有趣的。
ANNIE: I think we should also look at how refrigeration has helped whole cities - like Las Vegas, which couldn’t exist without refrigeration because it’s in the middle of a desert.
安妮:我认为我们应该聊一下冰箱是如何帮助整个城市的,比如拉斯维加斯。如果无法制冷,拉斯维加斯就不会存在了,因为它是位于沙漠中的城市。
JACK: Right. I had a quick look at an economics book in the library that’s got a chapter about this sort of thing.
杰克:好的。我之前在图书馆翻阅过一本经济学的书,里面有一章就是讲这个的。
I could give you the title, if you want to do this section.
如果你想负责这个部分的话,我可以把书名给你。
ANNIE: Not particularly, to be honest.
安妮:说实话,我并不是很想做。
I find economics books pretty heavy going, as a rule.
我发现通常来说经济学的书籍很难读。
JACK: OK, leave it to me, then.
杰克:那就交给我吧。
ANNIE: Thanks. Then there’s transport, and the difference that refrigerated trucks have made.
安妮:谢谢啦。还有交通方面。冷藏车带来的变化。
I wouldn’t mind having a go at that.
我愿意做这一部分。
JACK: Don’t forget trains, too.
杰克:别忘了还有火车。
I read something about milk and butter being transported in refrigerated railroad cars in the USA, right back in the 1840s.
我之前读到早在19世纪40年代的美国,牛奶和黄油是用带有冷藏功能的火车运输的。
ANNIE: I hadn’t thought of trains. Thanks.
安妮:我之前没想到火车。谢谢。
JACK: Shall we have a separate section on domestic fridges?
杰克:我们要不要单用一个部分讲家用冰箱?
After all, they’re something everyone’s familiar with.
毕竟,这是大家都熟悉的内容。
ANNIE: What about splitting it into two?
安妮:咱们把它分成两部分怎么样?
You could investigate 19th- and 20th century fridges, and I’ll concentrate on what’s available these days, and how manufacturers differentiate their products from those of their competitors.
你可以调查一下19和20世纪的冰箱。我来负责现代冰箱,还有冰箱制造厂商如何制造与竞争者不同的产品。
JACK: OK, that’d suit me.
杰克:可以,这个工作很适合我。
下一题
剑15 undefined