首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑8 Test 3 Section 3 Q21-26
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21-26
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.

 
Latin American studies
21 Paul decided to get work experience in South America because he wanted

A

to teach English there.

B

to improve his Spanish.

C

to learn about Latin American life.

22 What project work did Paul originally intend to get involved in?

A

construction

B

agriculture

C

tourism

23 Why did Paul change from one project to another?

A

His first job was not well organised.

B

He found doing the routine work very boring.

C

The work was too physically demanding.

24 In the village community, he learnt how important it was to

A

respect family life.

B

develop trust.

C

use money wisely.

25 What does Paul say about his project manager?

A

He let Paul do most of the work.

B

His plans were too ambitious.

C

He was very supportive of Paul.

26 Paul was surprised to be given

A

a computer to use.

B

so little money to live on.

C

an extension to his contract.

WOMAN: I've been reading your personal statement, Paul.

女:保罗,我看过你的个人陈述了。

First, let's talk about your work experience in South America.

我们先来谈一谈你在南美洲的工作经历吧。

What took you there? Was it to gain more fluency in Spanish?

你当初为什么会去那儿呢?是为了练西班牙语吗?

PAUL: Well, as I'm combining Spanish with Latin American studies, my main idea was to find out more about the way people lived there.

保罗:这个,我的确是把西班牙语学习看做是拉丁美洲研究的一部分,但我去那儿的主要目的是了解当地人的生活方式。

My spoken Spanish was already pretty good in fact.

实际上我的西班牙语水平当时已经很好了。

WOMAN: So you weren't too worried about language barriers?

女:这么说来你当时是不太担心语言障碍了。

PAUL: No. In fact, I ended up teaching English there, although that wasn't my original choice of work.

保罗:不是的。实际上我最终在那边教英语,虽然这并不是我最开始想选的工作。

WOMAN: I see. How did you find out about all this?

女:了解。那你是怎么找到这个工作的呢?

PAUL: I found an agency that runs all kinds of voluntary projects in South America.

保罗:我找到一家运作各种南美洲的志愿者工作的组织。

WOMAN: What kind of work?

女:什么样的工作呢?

PAUL: Well, there were several possibilities.

保罗:有不同类型的工作。

WOMAN: You mean construction? Engineering work?

女:你是说跟建筑相关的工作吗?或者和机械相关的?

PAUL: Yes, getting involved in building projects was an option.

保罗:是的,参与建筑项目是一种选择。

Then there was tourism - taking tourists for walks around the volcanoes - which I actually chose to do, and then there was work with local farmers.

还有旅游相关的,就是带着游客逛火山,这也是我选择的工作。然后还有在当地农场的工作。

WOMAN: But you didn't continue with that project. Why not?

女:但你最终没有继续跟进这个项目。为什么呢?

PAUL: Because I never really knew whether I'd be needed or not.

保罗:因为我不知道这个工作是否需要我。

I'd thought it might be difficult physically, but I was certainly fit enough ... no, I wanted to do something that had more of a proper structure to it, I suppose.

我原以为这个工作对体能是个挑战,但我发现我完全能够胜任……我希望我能做一些更有计划性的工作。

I get de-motivated otherwise.

否则我会没有动力的。

WOMAN: What do you think you learned from your experience?

女:你觉得你从这些经历中学到了什么呢?

It must have been a great opportunity to examine community life.

这肯定是研究当地社区生活的绝佳机会。

PAUL: Yes, but it was difficult at first to be accepted by the locals.

保罗:没错,但一开始的时候自己还是很难被当地人接受。

It was a very remote village and some of them were reluctant to speak to me - although they were always interested in my clothes and how much I'd had to pay for them.

那是一个很偏僻的村子,然后村里很多人不愿意跟我说话,尽管他们一直对我的衣着以及它们的价格很感兴趣。

WOMAN: Well, that's understandable.

女:嗯,这可以理解。

PAUL: Yes, but things soon improved.

保罗:但情况很快就有所好转。

What struck me was that when people became more comfortable with me and less suspicious, we really connected with each other in a meaningful way.

人们开始不再那么疑虑,开始更愿意与我相处。我们之间建立起了有意义的联系。

WOMAN: You made good friends?

女:你有交到很好的朋友吗?

PAUL: Yes, with two of the families in particular.

保罗:是的,尤其是两个家庭。

WOMAN: Good. What about management.

女:很好。你那个项目的管理情况怎样?

Did you have a project manager?

你们当时有项目经理吗?

PAUL: Yes and he gave me lots of advice and guidance.

保罗:有的,他给了我很多建议和指导。

WOMAN: And was he good at managing too?

女:他的管理能力怎么样?

PAUL: That wasn't his strong point!

保罗:这倒不是他的强项。

I think he was often more interested in the academic side of things than filing reports.

我觉得他更愿意做学术研究,而不是弄文件报告。

He was a bit of a dreamer.

他有点理想主义。

WOMAN: And did you have a contract?

女:你当时签了合同吗?

PAUL: I had to stay for a minimum of three months.

保罗:我必须要待到至少三个月。

My parents were surprised when I asked to stay longer - six months in the end.

我后来申请了待更长时间,最后待了6个月,我父母都吃惊了。

I was so happy there.

我在那儿很开心。

WOMAN: And did anything on the administration side of things surprise you?

女:在管理方面有什么事情是出乎你意料的吗?

What was the food and lodging like?

比如饮食和住宿怎么样?

PAUL: Simple ... but there was plenty to eat and I only paid seven dollars a day for that which was amazing really.

保罗:吃的比较简单,不过量很大,而且一天只花费7美元,真的很棒。

And they gave me all the equipment I needed ... even a laptop.

他们给我提供了各种我需要的装备,甚至包括笔记本电脑。

WOMAN: You didn't expect that then?

女:这你当时没有想到吗?

PAUL: No.

保罗:没有。

WOMAN: Well, I'll look forward to hearing more.

女:好的,我想再了解一些别的。

下一题

剑8 undefined