A
She is not sufficiently challenged.
B
The activity interferes with her studies.
C
She does not have enough time.
D
The activity is too demanding physically.
E
She does not think she is any good at the activity.
DAN: Hi Jeannie. How's it going?
丹:嗨,珍妮!还好吗?
JEANNIE: Oh, hello Dan. Pretty well, thanks.
珍妮:噢,你好啊,丹。我挺好的,谢谢。
Have you managed to get the money for the course yet?
你报课程的钱到位了吗?
DAN: Yes, that's all sorted out now, thanks.
丹:是的,总算都搞定了,谢谢。
It took long enough, though.
就是太费时间了。
It was practically a year ago that I applied to my local council for a grant, and it took them six months to turn me down.
我严格来说在一年前就开始向我们当地的议政厅申请补助金了,然后6个月之后他们才告诉我说不行。
JEANNIE: That's really slow.
珍妮:这真是太慢了。
DAN: And I thought I was eligible for government funding, but it seems I was mistaken.
丹:我以为我有资格获得政府资助,但看来我错了。
So then I asked the boss of the company I used to work for if they would sponsor me, and much to my surprise, he said they'd make a contribution.
然后我就去找我之前公司的老总问问他能不能给我提供一些资助,结果他居然说可以提供一部分帮助。
JEANNIE: But what about college grants and scholarships?
珍妮:那学校的助学金和奖学金呢?
There must be some you could apply for.
肯定有什么你可以申请的吧。
DAN: Yes, there are, but they're all so small that I decided to leave them until I was desperate.
丹:是有啊,但金额都很小了,所以我决定不到最后时刻不去申请这些了。
JEANNIE: Uhuh.
珍妮:好吧。
DAN: And in fact I didn't need to apply.
丹:其实我也用不着申请。
My parents had been saying that as I already had a job, I ought to support myself through college.
我父母之前跟我说既然我已经有工作了,就应该自己承担大学的费用。
But in the end they took pity on me, so now I've just about got enough.
但结果他们还是心存怜悯决定帮我一把,所以我基本上快凑够钱了。
JEANNIE: That's good.
珍妮:好极了。
DAN: So now I can put a bit of effort into meeting people - I haven't had time so far. Any suggestions?
丹:所以接下来我就可以开始有点时间去认识新朋友了。有什么建议吗?
JEANNIE: What about joining some college clubs?
珍妮:你可以加入一些学校的社团。
DAN: Oh right. You joined several didn't you?
丹:对呀。你好像加入了好几个社团吧?
JEANNIE: Yes, I'm in the drama club.
珍妮:是的,我在戏剧社团。
It's our first performance next week, so we're rehearsing frantically, and I've got behind with my work, but it's worth it.
下周是我们的首演,所以最近我们在疯狂的排练;我的功课都落下了一截,不过还是值了。
I'm hoping to be in the spring production, too.
我希望还能在春季舞台剧里面出现呢。
DAN: I've never liked acting.
丹:我一直对表演不太感兴趣。
Are you doing anything else?
你还加入了些其他什么社团吗?
JEANNIE: I enjoyed singing when I was at school, so I joined a group when I came to college.
珍妮:我在中学的时候很喜欢唱歌,所以我进大学的时候就加入了一个歌唱社团。
I don't think the conductor stretches us enough, though so I'll give up after the next concert.
但我觉得这个负责人并不能给我们太多的发展,所以我已经决定在下一次音乐会之后退出了。
And I also joined the debating society.
然后我还加入了辩论社团。
It's fun, but with all the rehearsing I'm doing, something has to go, and I'm afraid that's the one.
这个挺有意思的,但我现在的排练太耗精力了,我只能先牺牲一下辩论这边了。
DAN: Do you do any sports?
丹:你参加什么体育活动吗?
JEANNIE: Yes, I'm in one of the hockey teams.
珍妮:有啊,我加入了学校的曲棍球队。
I'm not very good, but I'd really miss it if I stopped.
我打得不好,如果我不参加了我肯定会非常怀念。
I decided to try tennis when I came to college, and I'm finding it pretty tough going.
刚来大学的时候我本打算试试练网球,后来发现太难了。
I'm simply not fit enough.
我身体条件不够好。
DAN: Nor me. I think I'll give that a miss!
丹:我也是。那个也不适合我。
JEANNIE: I'm hoping it'll help me to build up my stamina, but it'll probably be a long haul.
珍妮:我希望这能锻炼我的耐力,不过这估计还早着呢。
DAN: Good luck.
丹:那就祝你好运吧。
JEANNIE: Thanks.
珍妮:谢谢。
DAN: How are you finding the course?
丹:你觉得这课程怎么样?
JEANNIE: I wish we had more seminars.
珍妮:要是研讨会多一些就好了。
DAN: What? I'd have thought we had more than enough already.
丹:不是吧?我觉得已经够多了。
All those people saying clever things that I could never think of- it's quite interesting, but I wonder if I'm clever enough to be doing this course.
听一些牛人聊一些我死都想不出来的东西是挺有意思,不过我觉得我自己太笨了,不知道自己能不能完成这个课程啊。
JEANNIE: I find it helpful to listen to the other people.
珍妮:我觉得多听听别人的想法很有帮助。
I like the way we're exploring the subject, and working towards getting insight into it.
我喜欢这种一起探究课题,逐渐形成自己的理解的方式。
DAN: How do you get on with your tutor?
丹:你和辅导员相处得还好吗?
I don't think I'm on the same wavelength as mine, so I feel I'm not getting anything out of the tutorials.
我和我的辅导员就不在一个频道上,我觉得从辅导课上学不到什么。
It would be more productive to read a book instead.
还不如自己看书呢。
JEANNIE: Oh, mine's very demanding.
珍妮:好吧。我的辅导员要求很严格。
She gives me lots of feedback and advice, so I've got much better at writing essays.
她给了我很多反馈和建议,所以我的论文写作比以前好多了。
And she's helping me plan my revision for the end-of-year exams.
她还帮我做年末考试的复习规划呢。
DAN: Do tell me, I always struggle with revision.
丹:快跟我说说吧,我总是不知道怎么复习。
下一题
剑8 undefined