A
textiles displayed in an exhibition
B
a book about a botanic garden
C
carpets he saw on holiday
A
using a range of dyes with different fibres.
B
applying different dyes to one type of fibre.
C
testing one dye and a range of fibres.
A
how much natural material was needed to make the dye.
B
the fact that dyes were widely available on the internet.
C
the time that he had to leave the fabric in the dye.
A
It caused a slight allergic reaction.
B
It was not a permanent dye on cotton.
C
It was ineffective when used on nylon.
TUTOR: OK, Jim. You wanted to see me about your textile design project.
导师:好,吉姆。你想和我谈谈你的纺织品设计项目。
JIM: That's right.
吉姆:是的。
I've been looking at how a range of natural dyes can be used to colour fabrics like cotton and wool.
我一直在研究如何用各种天然染料给棉花和羊毛等织物上色。
TUTOR: Why did you choose that topic?
导师:你为什么选择这个话题?
JIM: Well, I got a lot of useful ideas from the museum, you know, at that exhibition of textiles.
吉姆:我从博物馆得到了很多有用的想法,你知道的,就是那个纺织品展览。
But I've always been interested in anything to do with colour.
但是我一直对任何与颜色有关的东西都感兴趣。
Years ago, I went to a carpet shop with my parents when we were on holiday in Turkey, and I remember all the amazing colours.
几年前,我和父母去土耳其度假时去了一家地毯店,我记得那些所有令人惊艳的颜色。
TUTOR: They might not all have been natural dyes.
导师:他们可能并不都是天然染料。
JIM: Maybe not, but for the project I decided to follow it up.
吉姆:也许不是,但为了项目,我决定继续研究这个话题。
And I found a great book about a botanic garden in California that specialises in plants used for dyes.
我还发现了一本很棒的书,是关于加利福尼亚的一个专门种植用于染料的植物园。
TUTOR: OK. So, in your project, you had to include a practical investigation.
导师:好的。所以,在你的项目中,你必须有一个实际的调查。
JIM: Yeah. At first I couldn't decide on my variables.
吉姆:是的。一开始我无法决定变量。
I was going to just look at one type of fibre for example, like cotton ...
我只看一种纤维,例如棉花……
TUTOR: ... and see how different types of dyes affected it?
导师:还要观察不同类型的染料如何影响它?
JIM: Yes. Then I decided to include others as well, so I looked at cotton and wool and nylon.
吉姆:是的。然后我决定把其他的也包括进来,所以我观察了棉、羊毛和尼龙。
TUTOR: With just one type of dye?
导师:只用一种染料?
JIM: Various types, including some that weren't natural, for comparison.
吉姆:各种类型的。包括一些不是纯天然的染料来做比较。
TUTOR: OK.
导师:好的。
JIM: So, I did the experiments last week.
吉姆:所以,我上周做了实验。
I used some ready-made natural dyes, I found a website which supplied them, they came in just a few days, but I also made some of my own.
我用了一些现成的天然染料,我找到了一个销售网站,几天就收到了,但我也自己做了一些。
TUTOR: That must have taken quite a bit of time.
导师:这一定会花相当多的时间。
JIM: Yes, I'd thought it'd just be a matter of a teaspoon or so of dye, and actually that wasn't the case at all.
吉姆:是的,我认为只需要大约一茶匙的染料,实际上并非如此。
Like I was using one vegetable, beetroot, for a red dye, and I had to chop up a whole pile of it.
我用了一种蔬菜,甜菜根,做红色的染料。我不得不把它整个切碎。
So it all took longer than I'd expected.
所以花的时间比我预想的要长。
TUTOR: One possibility is to use food colourings.
导师:有一种可能的方法是使用食品色素。
JIM: I did use one. That was a yellow dye, an artificial one.
吉姆:我用过一个。那是一种黄色染料,一种人造染料。
TUTOR: Tartrazine?
导师:柠檬黄?
JIM: Yeah. I used it on cotton first.
吉姆:是的。我先用在棉花上。
It came out a great colour, but when I rinsed the material, the colour just washed away.
它呈现的颜色很好,但当我冲洗材料时,颜色就被洗掉了。
I'd been going to try it out on nylon, but I abandoned that idea.
我本来打算在尼龙上试试,但我放弃了这个想法。
TUTOR: Were you worried about health issues?
导师:你担心健康问题吗?
JIM: I'd thought if it's a legal food colouring, it must be safe.
吉姆:我想如果这是一个合法的食用色素,它必须是安全的。
TUTOR: Well, it can occasionally cause allergic reactions, I believe.
老师:嗯, 我相信它有时也会引起过敏反应。
下一题
剑13 undefined