首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑13 Test 3 Section 3 Q25-30
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 25-30
What problem is identified with each of the following natural dyes?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 25-30.

Problems
A It is expensive.
B The colour is too strong.
C The colour is not long-lasting.
D It is very poisonous.
E It can damage the fabric.
F The colour may be unexpected.
G It is unsuitable for some fabrics.
H It is not generally available.

Natural dyes 
25 turmeric  
26 beetroot  
27 Tyrian purple  
28 logwood  
29 cochineal  
30 metal oxide  

 

TUTOR: So what natural dyes did you look at?

导师:那么你在考虑哪些天然染料?

JIM: Well, one was turmeric.

吉姆:嗯,一个是姜黄,

The colour's great, it's a really strong yellow.

颜色很好,是一种很深的黄色。

It's generally used in dishes like curry.

它通常用于像咖喱这样的菜肴中。

TUTOR: It's meant to be quite good for your health when eaten, but you might find it's not permanent when it's used as a dye - a few washes, and it's gone.

导师:食用时,它似乎对你的健康很好,但你可能会发现用作染料时,它不是永久性的,经过几次冲洗,它就掉色了。

JIM: Right. I used beetroot as a dye for wool.

吉姆:是的。我用甜菜根作羊毛的染料。

When I chop up beetroot to eat I always end up with bright red hands, but the wool ended up just a sort of watery cream shade. Disappointing.

当我切甜菜根吃的时候,我的手总是红彤彤的,但是羊毛最后变成了一种稀奶油色。令人失望。

TUTOR: There's a natural dye called Tyrian purple.

导师:有一种叫做泰尔红紫的天然染料。

Have you heard of that?

你听说过吗?

JIM: Yes. It comes from a shellfish, and it was worn in ancient times but only by important people as it was so rare.

吉姆:听说过。它来自一种贝类,在古代因为它非常罕见,只有重要人物才能穿这种颜色。

I didn't use it.

我没有用过它。

TUTOR: It fell out of use centuries ago, though one researcher managed to get hold of some recently.

导师:几个世纪前它不用了,尽管最近一位研究人员设法找到了一些。

But that shade of purple can be produced by chemical dyes nowadays.

但是现在那种紫色的色度可以用化学染料染出来。

Did you use any black dyes?

你用过黑色染料吗?

JIM: Logwood. That was quite complicated.

吉姆:洋苏木。这种染料使用相当复杂。

I had to prepare the fabric so the dye would take.

我需要提前处理好布料,这样染料才能上色。

TUTOR: I hope you were careful to wear gloves.

导师:我希望你小心,要戴手套。

JIM: Yes. I know the danger with that dye.

吉姆:好的。我知道那种染料有危险。

TUTOR: Good. It can be extremely dangerous if it's ingested.

导师:很好。如果你摄入它,会非常危险。

Now, presumably you had a look at an insect-based dye?

现在,也许你考虑过一种昆虫染料?

Like cochineal, for example?

比如说胭脂红?

JIM: Yes. I didn't actually make that, I didn't have time to start crushing up insects to get the red colour and anyway they're not available here, but I managed to get the dye quite easily from a website.

吉姆:是的。我并没有做那个,我没有时间去碾碎昆虫来得到那种红色,这不容易实现,但是我很容易地从一个网站上得到了染料。

But it cost a fortune.

但它花了我一大笔钱。

I can see why it's generally just used in cooking, and in small quantities.

我可以理解为什么人们只在烹饪中少量地使用这种染料了。

TUTOR: Yes, it's very effective, but that's precisely why it's not used as a dye.

导师:是的,它非常有效的,但这正是为什么不被用作染料的原因。

JIM: I also read about using metal oxide.

吉姆:我也读过关于使用金属氧化物的相关读物。

Apparently you can allow iron to rust while it's in contact with the fabric, and that colours it.

很明显,当铁接触织物时,会让它生锈,从而使织物变色。

TUTOR: Yes, that works well for dying cotton.

导师:是的,它适用于染棉质织物。

But you have to be careful as the metal can actually affect the fabric and so you can't expect to get a lot of wear out of fabrics treated in this way.

但是你必须小心,因为金属会影响织物,所以不要期待通过这种方法染出的织物的还能很耐用。

And the colours are quite subtle, not everyone likes them.

并且织物的颜色很微妙,不是每个人都喜欢。

Anyway, it looks as if you've done a lot of work ...

总之,看起来你做了很多工作……

下一题

剑13 undefined