JAMES: Could I ask for some advice about writing the paper I'm working on about the Vikings?
詹姆斯:您可以给我一点建议吗,关于我正在写的论文,有关维京人的。
I have to do that this week, and I'm a bit stuck.
我必须要在这周内完成,我遇到点困难。
BETH: Of course. Have you decided yet what to write about?
贝丝:当然。你已经决定好要写什么了吗?
JAMES: No, I haven't.
詹姆斯:不,没有。
There's so much that seems interesting - Viking settlement in other countries, trade, mythology...
有太多有感兴趣的话题了——维京人定居其他国家,贸易,神话……
BETH: Well, what I suggest is that you read an assignment a student wrote last year, which is kept in the library.
贝丝:好的,我的建议是你读一篇去年学生写的作业,可以在图书馆找到。
It's short and well focused, and I'm sure you'll find it helpful.
文章简洁并且要点集中,我保证你会觉得很有帮助。
I'll give you the details in a moment.
我一会儿给你一些细节。
Textbooks usually cover so many topics, it can be very difficult to choose just one.
课本上通常会包含很多话题,从中选择一个会非常困难。
JAMES: OK. I've got a DVD of the film about the Vikings that came out earlier this year.
詹姆斯:好的。我有一张光盘,是关于维京人的电影,是今年早期出版的。
Should I watch that again?
我应该再看一遍吗?
BETH: If it's the one I am thinking of, hmm, I'd ignore it - it's more fantasy than reality.
贝丝:如果是我想的那种,额,就不用看了——那个比事实更虚幻一些。
But I've got a recording of a documentary that you should watch.
但是我有一套纪录片,你应该看一下。
It makes some interesting and provocative points, which I think will help you to focus your topic.
里面有一些有趣的,和激进的观点,我相信会帮助你聚焦你的话题。
JAMES: Right.
詹姆斯:好的。
JAMES: So then should I work out an outline?
詹姆斯:所以我应该列提纲吗?
BETH: Yes. Just headings for different sections, at this stage.
贝丝:是的。只是把每个部分的标题列一下就行了,就到这个程度就可以。
And then you should start looking for suitable articles and books to draw on, and take notes which you organise according to those headings.
然后你应该开始寻找合适的文章和书籍借鉴参考,记笔记。根据那些标题组织内容。
JAMES: I see.
詹姆斯:我明白了。
BETH: Then put short phrases and sentences as bullet points under each heading.
贝丝:然后在每个标题下列出短语和句子作为要点。
Make sure that this skeleton makes sense and flows properly, before writing up the paper in full.
确保提纲有意义并且行文流畅,接下来在完整的写全文。
JAMES: OK. Thanks, that's very helpful.
詹姆斯:好的。谢谢,非常有帮助。
下一题
剑12 undefined