KATIE: And finally I want to talk about a few adaptations that I think illustrate a range of approaches, and make some comments on them.
凯特:最后,我想介绍和评价一些我认为代表了不同形式的改编电影。
Do you know the Japanese film Ran?
你知道那个日本电影《乱》吗?
JOE: I haven't seen it.
乔:我没看过。
It was based on Shakespeare's King Lear, wasn't it?
他的创作是基于莎士比亚的《李尔王》是吗?
KATIE: That's right.
凯特:没错。
It was a very loose adaptation using the same situation and story, but moving it to 16th century Japan instead of 16th century Britain.
这个翻拍很失败。他使用了相同的背景和故事,但是把背景16世纪的英国换成了16世纪的日本。
So for example the king's daughters become sons, because in Japanese culture at that time, women couldn't succeed to the throne.
所以例如,国王的女儿们变成个儿子们,因为在日本文化中,女性是不能继承王位的。
JOE: OK. I hope you're going to talk about the 1993 film of Much Ado About Nothing.
乔:好吧。我希望你能谈论一下1993年的电影《无事生非》。
I think that's one of the best Shakespeare films.
我认为这是最好的莎士比亚电影中的一部。
It really brings the play to life, doesn't it?
他生动的还原了戏剧本身不是吗?
KATIE: Yes, I agree. And I think filming it in Italy, where the play is set, makes you see what life was like at the time of the play.
凯特:是的,我同意。而且我认为在戏剧本身的发生地意大利拍摄这部电影使你可以了解到戏剧发生的那个年代的真实样貌。
JOE: Absolutely. Right, what's next?
乔:当然!那接下来呢?
KATIE: Er, next, I thought Romeo & Juliet, the 1996 film, which moves the action into the present day.
凯特:呃,接下来我想谈一下1996年的电影《罗密欧与朱丽叶》,这部电影把故事搬到了今天。
JOE: Yes, it worked really well, I thought - changing the two feuding families in the original to two competing business empires, even though they're speaking in the English of the original play.
乔:好的。我认为他拍的非常好——尽管台词还是原先戏剧中的英文台词,但是将原本对立的两个家族改编成了两个竞争的商业帝国。
KATIE: You'd expect it would sound really bizarre, but I found I soon got used to it.
凯特:你会以为他听起来很奇怪,但是我发现我很快就适应了。
JOE: Me too.
乔:我也是。
KATIE: Then I thought I'd include a real Hollywood film, one that's intended to appeal to a mass commercial audience.
凯特:接着,我想我会在加一部真正的好莱坞电影,这部电影要能吸引大量的商业票房。
JOE: There must be quite a number of those.
乔:那肯定有很多可以选择的空间。
KATIE: Yes, but I've picked the 1996 film of Hamlet.
凯特:是的,我选择了1996年的电影《哈姆雷特》。
It included every line of the text, but it's more like a typical action hero movie - there are loads of special effects, but no unifying interpretation of the play.
他涵盖了书中的所有内容,但是他更像典型的英雄动作电影——因为其中有大量的特效,但少了对戏剧的统一解读。
JOE: All show and no substance.
乔:都有所展现,但是没有涉及实质。
KATIE: Exactly. Then there's Prospero's Books, based on The Tempest.
凯特:没错。接着是改编自《暴风雨》的《魔法师的宝典》。
That was really innovative, from a stylistic point of view.
从体裁上看,它真的很有创新性。
JOE: Didn't it include dance and singing and animation, as well as live actors?
乔:他是不是包含了舞蹈,歌曲,动画还有演员?
KATIE: Yes, it did. I also want to mention Looking for Richard.
凯特:是的。我还想说一下《寻找理查德》。
Did you ever see it?
你看过这部电影吗?
JOE: No. but I've read about it.
乔:没有。但是我听说过。
It was a blend of a documentary with a few scenes from Richard lll, wasn't it?
他是不是一部混合了几个《理查德三世》画面的纪录片?
KATIE: That's right. It's more a way of looking into how people nowadays connect with the playwright - the play is really just the starting point.
凯特:没错。他更像是在探索如今人类怎样与莎士比亚结合——这其中戏剧只是一个出发点。
And that' ll be where I finish.
而且我就打算讲到这里。
JOE: Well, it sounds as though it'll be very interesting.
乔:嗯,这听起来会非常有趣。
下一题
剑12 undefined