SUSIE: Hello?
苏西:你好?
PAUL: Hi, Susie, it's Paul here.
保罗:嗨,苏西,我是保罗。
How are you? Enjoying your new job?
最近怎么样?喜欢你的新工作吗?
You're working at the library, aren't you?
你是在图书馆工作,是吧?
SUSIE: Yes. I started when the library re-opened a month ago. It's great.
苏西:是的。一个月前图书馆重新开馆时我开始在这工作的。图书馆很棒。
PAUL: Actually Carol and I have been meaning to join for a while.
保罗:实际上卡洛和我想来这已经有一段时间了。
SUSIE: Oh, you should. It doesn't cost anything, and the new library has all sorts of facilities.
苏西:嗯,你们应该来的。不需要花钱,而且新图书馆有各种各样的设施。
It's not Just a place where you borrow books.
它不仅仅是一个借书的地方。
For instance, there's an area with comfortable seats where you can sit and read the magazines they have there.
比如说,馆内有一片区域有很舒服的位子可以坐,还可以看那儿的杂志。
Some people spend the whole morning there.
有的人整个早上都在那。
PAUL: Mmm. Wish I had that amount of time to spend!
保罗:嗯。真希望我也有那么多时间。
SUSIE: Yes, you must be pretty busy at present, with the children and everything?
苏西:哦,你现在一定很忙吧,忙着照顾孩子什么的。
PAUL: We are, yes. But we're hoping to get away this summer.
保罗:嗯,是的。不过我们希望这个夏天能出去度假。
We're thinking of going to Greece.
我们正考虑去希腊。
SUSIE: Well, we've got a much larger section of the library devoted to travel books now, so you should come and have a look.
苏西:嗯,我们图书馆用于陈列旅游书籍的部分比以前大了很多,你可以过来看看。
I can't remember if there's anything specifically on Greece, but I should think so.
我不记得有没有专门讲希腊的书,但我想应该有。
PAUL: OK. Now Carol's organising a project for the history class she teaches at school - it's about life in the town a hundred years ago.
保罗:好的。卡洛目前正在为她在学校教的历史课组织一个活动——是关于100年前这个城市的生活的。
Do you have anything that might be useful?
你那有没有什么有用的资料?
SUSIE: Yes, actually we've now got a new section with materials on the history of the town and surrounding region.
苏西:有的,事实上我们图书馆新开辟了一个部分,用于陈列这座城市及其周边区域的历史资料。
PAUL: Right. I'll tell her.
保罗:好的。我会告诉她的。
You can't always find that sort of thing on the internet.
你并一定总能在网上找到这些东西。
Now in the old library there used to be a separate room with reference books.
过去,在老图书馆里有一个单独的屋子存放参考书。
It was a really nice quiet room.
那真是一个又安静又好的地方。
SUSIE: Yes. We've put those books in the main part of the library now, but we do have a room called the community room.
苏西:是的。我们如今把那些书放在图书馆主馆,不过我们现在也有一个叫做社区用室的屋子。
It can be hired out for meetings, but at other times people can use it to study.
它可以被租出去用于开会,其他时候人们可以在里面学习。
PAUL: I might use that.
保罗:或许我会去那儿学习。
It's hard to find anywhere quiet at home sometimes.
有的时候想在家找到个安静的地方很难。
SUSIE: I can't remember how old your son and daughter are ... we've introduced a special section of fiction written specially for teenagers, but they might be a bit young for that?
苏西:我不记得你的儿子、女儿多大了……我们开辟了一个专为青少年写的小说的单元,但他们可能还是小了一点。
PAUL: Yes, they would be.
保罗:是的,他们还小。
SUSIE: Well, we do have lots of activities for younger children.
苏西:嗯,我们有很多针对年纪较小的孩子的活动。
PAUL: Yes?
保罗:是吗?
SUSIE: For example we have a Science Club.
苏西:比如说我们有一个“科学俱乐部”。
At the next meeting, they're going to be doing experiments with stuff that everyone has in the kitchen - sugar and flour and so on.
在俱乐部的下次会面上,孩子们会利用每家厨房里都有的东西——糖、面粉等做实验。
PAUL: They might be interested, yes.
保罗:嗯,我的孩子们也许会有兴趣。
SUSIE: And we have a competition for children called Reading Challenge.
苏西:我们还有一个比赛叫做“阅读挑战”。
That doesn 't begin until after the end of term.
这个比赛要到学期末过后才开始。
They have to read six books, and they get a certificate if they manage it.
他们要读完六本书,如果做到了的话就能得到一个证书。
PAUL: So that gives them something to do while they're on holiday, instead of getting bored.
保罗:这样他们假期就有事做而不会无聊了。
SUSIE: That's the idea.
苏西:嗯,就是这么想的。
And there's special activities for adults too.
图书馆也有针对成年人的特别活动。
On Friday we have a local author called Tanya Streep who's going to be talking about her new novel.
星期五,我们邀请了本地作家Tanya Streep来谈谈她的最新小说。
It's called 'Catch the Mouse' and she based the story on a crime that actually took place here years ago.
小说名叫《Catch the Mouse》,里面的故事是基于一个很多年前在这里发生的一起犯罪事件。
PAUL: Right. We're not free on Friday, but I'll look out for the book.
保罗:嗯,我们周五没空,不过我会找找这本小说。
SUSIE: Now this probably isn't for you, but we do have IT support available for members.
苏西:还有一个活动可能不适合你,针对会员我们推出了信息技术支持。
We get quite a few older people coming along who are wanting to get up to speed with computer technology.
有不少老人过来,想要跟上电脑技术的发展。
It's on Tuesday mornings - they don't need to make an appointment or anything, they just turn up.
这个活动是在星期二上午——他们不需要事先约定,到时候自然就来了。
PAUL: Well , my mother might be interested, I'll let her know.
保罗:嗯,我母亲或许会感兴趣,我会告诉她的。
SUSIE: OK. And there's another service which you wouldn't expect from a library, which is a free medical check-up.
苏西:好。还有一个活动你可能想不到图书馆会有,那就是免费的医疗检查。
The hospital arranges for someone to come along and measure the level of sugar in your blood, and they check cholesterol levels at the same time.
医院安排了人过来,可以测血糖,同时他们还会检测胆固醇水平。
PAUL: Really?
保罗:真的吗?
SUSIE: Yes, but that's only for the over-60s, so you wouldn't qualify.
苏西:是的,不过这项服务仅提供给60岁以上的人,所以你不能参与。
PAUL: OK. Well, I'll tell my mother, she might be interested.
保罗:好的。我会告诉我妈,她也许会有兴趣。
SUSIE: What other information ... well , we do have a little shop with things like wallcharts and greetings cards, and also stamps so you can post the cards straightaway, which is really useful.
苏西:至于别的什么信息嘛……哦,我们还有一个小商店卖挂图、贺卡之类的东西,还有邮票,很有用,你可以在那直接把卡片寄出去。
PAUL: Yeah. Well, I'll bring the children round at the weekend and we'll join.
保罗:好的。周末我会带孩子们过来,我们要加入进来。
Oh, one more thing - I'll be bringing the car, is there parking available?
哦,还有一件事——我会开车过来,图书馆有停车的地方吗?
SUSIE: Yes, and it's free in the evening and at weekends.
苏西:有的,而且在晚上和周末免费。
PAUL: Perfect. Well, thanks, Susie see you soon …
保罗:完美。好的,谢谢你,苏西,再见……
下一题
剑12 undefined