TRUDIE: I've just had an idea.
楚蒂:我有个想法。
Why don't we make an in-depth study of our local public library as background to our paper?
我们为什么不把对我们当地图书馆的深入调查当作我们论文的蓝本呢?
STEWART: Yes, that'd be interesting, and raise all sorts of issues.
斯图尔特:好主意,这个应该会很有趣,我们可以提出所有方面的问题。
Let's make a list of possible things we could ask about, then work out some sort of structure.
我们来做一个我们可能会问及的问题的列表吧,然后做一个合理的结构出来。
For instance, um, we could interview some of the staff, and find out whether the library has its own budget, or if that's controlled by the local council.
比如,我们可以采访一些里面的员工,弄清楚这个图书馆是不是有自己的预算,还是由当地委员会负责。
TRUDIE: And what their policies are.
楚蒂: 还有图书馆的政策。
I know they don't allow food, but I'd love to find out what types of noise they ban - there always seems to be a lot of talking, but never music.
我知道他们是不允许带食物进去的,但是我更想知道他们禁止的噪音都有什么类型——那里总是有很多人交谈,但从不会允许播放音乐。
I don't know if that's a policy or it just happens.
我不知道这是明文规定还是事情本身如此。
STEWART: Ah, I've often wondered.
斯图尔特:啊,我也一直很好奇。
Then there are things like how the library is affected by employment laws.
然后,还有雇佣条款是如何影响到图书馆本身的。
I suppose there are rules about working hours, facilities for staff, and so on.
我觉得他们对于工作时间,员工使用的设施以及其他东西都应该有规定。
TRUDIE: Right. Then there are other issues relating to the design of the building and how customers use it.
楚蒂:是的。然后还有关于大楼的设计和顾客是如何使用它的相关事项。
Like what measures does the library take to ensure their safety?
比如为了确保顾客的安全图书馆采取了什么措施?
They'd need floor coverings that aren't slippery, and emergency exits, for instance.
比如,它们应该需要防滑的地板,紧急出口。
Oh, and another thing - there's the question of the kind of insurance the library needs to have, in case anyone gets injured.
噢,还有,为了预防人们受伤,图书馆有什么样的保险措施?
STEWART: Yes, that's something else to find out.
斯图尔特:是的,这些也是我们要搞清楚的。
You know something I've often wondered?
你知道我心里最想知道的事情是什么吗?
TRUDIE: What's that?
楚蒂:是什么?
STEWART: Well, you know they've got an archive of local newspapers going back years?
斯图尔特:你知道他们过去几年弄了一个当地报纸的档案馆吧?
Well, next to it they've got the diary of a well-known politician from the late 19th century.
在档案馆旁边有一个属于以为19世纪晚期的知名政客的日记本。
I wonder why it's there.
我好奇它为何会在那里?
Do you know what his connection was with this area?
你知道这个日记本和这个地区的联系吗?
TRUDIE: No idea. Let's add it to our list of things to find out.
楚蒂:完全不知道。我们把这个加进名单里面吧。
Oh, I've just thought - you know people might ask in the library about local organisations, like sports clubs?
我刚刚想了一下——你知道很多人都会去图书馆询问当地组织的事情吧,比如运动俱乐部什么的。
Well, I wonder if they keep a database, or whether they just look online.
我很好奇他们是不是有一个资料库,还是说他们只是上网查看。
STEWART: Right. I quite fancy finding out what the differences are between a library that's open to the public and one that's part of a museum, for example - they must be very different.
斯图尔特:是的。还有,我很想知道对公众开放的图书馆和博物馆里面的图书馆之间有何区别——它们之间应该有很大的区别吧。
TRUDIE: Mmm. Then something else I'd like to know is …
楚蒂:嗯。我还想了解一下……
下一题
剑12 undefined