TREVOR: Have you been reading lots of children's stories, to help you decide whether to take the course?
特雷弗:你有没有读过很多儿童故事,帮助你决定要不要修读这门课程?
STEPHANIE: Yeah. I've gone as far back as the late seventeenth century, though I know there were earlier children's stories.
史蒂芬妮:读过。我已经读到了十七世纪末的儿童故事,虽然我知道还有更早的儿童故事。
TREVOR: So does that mean you've read Perrault' s fairy tales?
特雷弗:那么你是否读过佩罗的童话故事?
Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty, and so on.
《灰姑娘》,《睡美人》,等等。
STEPHANIE: Yes. They must be important, because no stories of that type had been written before, these were the first.
史蒂芬妮:读过。它们一定非常重要,因为这种类型的故事以前没有过,它们是最早的一批。
Then there's The Swiss Family Robinson.
然后还有《来自瑞士的罗宾逊一家》。
TREVOR: I haven't read that.
特雷弗:我没读过。
STEPHANIE: The English name makes it sound as though Robinson is the family's surname, but a more accurate translation would be The Swiss Robinsons, because it's about a Swiss family who are shipwrecked, like Robinson Crusoe in the novel of a century earlier.
史蒂芬妮:它的英文名听起来好像罗宾逊是这个家族的姓氏,但更精确的翻译将是《瑞士一家人的罗宾逊奇遇记》,因为它是关于一个遭遇海难的瑞士家庭,就像一个世纪前的小说中的鲁宾逊·克鲁索伊一样。
TREVOR: Well I never knew that!
特雷弗:天哪我从来没有听说过!
STEPHANIE: Have you read Hoffmann's The Nutcracker and the Mouse King?
史蒂芬妮:你读过霍夫曼的《胡桃夹子和老鼠国王》吗?
TREVOR: Wasn't that the basis for Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker?
特雷弗:这不是柴可夫斯基的芭蕾舞剧《胡桃夹子》的原型吗?
STEPHANIE: That's right.
史蒂芬妮:是的。
It has some quite bizarre elements.
这本书里面有很多相当奇异的元素。
TREVOR: I hope you've read Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince.
特雷弗:希望你读过奥斯卡·王尔德的《快乐王子》。
It's probably my favourite children's story of all time.
这可能是我最喜欢的儿童故事了。
STEPHANIE: Mine too! And it's so surprising, because Wilde is best known for his plays, and most of them are very witty, but The Happy Prince is really moving.
史蒂芬妮:我也是!而且这非常令人惊讶,因为王尔德是以他的戏剧而闻名,而且他的戏剧中大多数都非常诙谐,但是《快乐王子》真的非常令人感动。
I struggled with Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings - three long books, and I gave up after one.
我挣扎着去读托尔金的《指环王》系列——三本长篇小说,然而尝试读了一本之后我就放弃了。
TREVOR: It's extremely popular, though.
特雷弗:不过《指环王》相当受欢迎。
STEPHANIE: Yeah, but whereas something like The Happy Prince just carried me along with it.
史蒂芬妮:是的,但《快乐王子》那样的故事可以让我顺畅读下去。
The Lord of the Rings took more effort than I was prepared to give it.
而阅读《指环王》却要付出比预期更多的努力。
TREVOR: I didn't find that - I love it.
特雷弗:我不这么想——我还挺爱读的。
STEPHANIE: Another one I've read is War Horse.
史蒂芬妮:我还读了一本书叫《战马》。
TREVOR: Oh yes. It's about the First World War, isn't it?
特雷弗:噢对。它讲的是一战时的故事,对不对?
Hardly what you'd expect for a children's story.
很难想象这是给孩子们读的故事。
STEPHANIE: Exactly, but it's been very successful.
史蒂芬妮:确实是,不过这本书还挺成功的。
Have you read any ...
你读过……
下一题
剑14 undefined