JOE: Can I tell you about a few people in the band who I'm finding it quite difficult to cope with?
乔:我可以和你讲讲,乐队里的一些很难应付的人吗?
I'm sure you'll have some ideas about what I can do.
我相信你会对于我能做什么提些建议。
LIZZIE: Go ahead.
莉齐:说吧。
JOE: There's a flautist who says she loves playing in the band.
乔:有一个吹横笛的学生说她非常喜欢在乐队里演奏。
We rehearse twice a week after school, but she's hardly ever there.
我们放学后每周排练两次,但她几乎没来过。
Then she looks for me the next day and gives me a very plausible reason - she says she had to help her mother, or she's been ill, but to be honest, I don't believe her.
然后她会在第二天找我,并给我一个貌似可信的理由——她说她必须帮她母亲干活,或者她病了,但说实话,我不相信她。
LIZZIE: Oh dear! Any more students with difficulties?
莉齐:天哪!还有其他不好处理的学生吗?
JOE: Plenty! There's a trumpeter who thinks she's the best musician in the band, though she certainly isn't.
乔:太多了!有一个小号手认为她是乐队中最好的乐手,尽管很显然她不是。
She's always saying what she thinks other people should do, which makes my job pretty difficult.
她总念叨着她认为其他人应该做的事情,这使我的工作变得非常困难。
LIZZIE: She sounds a bit of a nightmare!
莉齐:她听起来有点难以对付!
JOE: You can say that again.
乔:一点儿没错。
One of the trombonists has got an impressive sense of rhythm, and could be an excellent musician - except that he has breathing difficulties, and he doesn't really have enough breath for the trombone.
有一个长号手有一种令人敬佩的的节奏感,并且可能成为一位出色的乐手——只可惜他有呼吸困难,他吹长号时没有足够的气息。
He'd be much better off playing percussion, for instance, but he refuses to give up.
如果他演奏打击乐会好得多,但他拒绝放弃长号。
So he ends up only playing half the notes.
所以他最终只吹奏了一半的音符。
LIZZIE: I suppose you have to admire his determination.
莉齐:我想你必须佩服他的决心。
JOE: Hmm, maybe. One of the percussionists isn't too bad, but he never seems to interact with other people, and he always rushes off as soon as the rehearsal ends.
乔:嗯,或许吧。有一个打击乐手没什么太大的问题,但他似乎永远不会与其他人互动,而且他总是在排练结束后立即走人。
I don't know if there are family reasons, or what.
我不知道是否有家庭原因,或者是别的什么原因。
But it isn't good in a band, where people really need to feel they're part of a group.
但是这样在一个乐队中并不好,他们真的需要觉得自己是这个团队的一部分。
LIZZIE: Hmm.
莉齐:嗯。
JOE: There are others too, but at least that gives you an idea of what l'm up against.
乔:其实还有其他人也有相似的问题,但至少他们能让你对我需要解决的事情了解个大概。
Do you have any thoughts about what I can do, Lizzie?
莉齐,关于我能做些什么,你有什么建议吗?
下一题
剑14 undefined