首页 > 雅思练习 > 雅思听力真题 > 剑12 Test 5 Section 3
详解
原文
00:00
Questions 21-23
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.

Paper on Public Libraries
21 What will be the main topic of Trudie and Stewart's paper?

A

how public library services are organised in different countries

B

how changes in society are reflected in public libraries

C

how the funding of public libraries has changed

22 They agree that one disadvantage of free digitalised books is that 

A

they may take a long time to read.

B

they can be difficult to read.

C

they are generally old.

23 Stewart expects that in the future libraries will 

A

maintain their traditional function.

B

become centres for local communities.

C

no longer contain any books.

Questions 24-30
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Study of local library: possible questions
· whether it has a 24   of its own 
· its policy regarding noise of various kinds 
· how it's affected by laws regarding all aspects of 25  
· how the design needs to take the 26   of customers into account 
· what 27   is required in case of accidents 
· why a famous person's 28   is located in the library 
· whether it has a 29   of local organisations 
· how it's different from a library in a 30  

SECTION 3

TRUDIE: OK, Stewart. We need to start planning our paper on public libraries.

楚蒂:好的, 斯图尔特。我们要开始计划一下咱们关于公共图书馆的论文了。

Have you thought of an angle yet?

你想过咱们要从哪个角度开始了吗?

STEWART: Well, there's so much we could look into.

斯图尔特:我们可以研究的东西有很多。

How libraries have changed over the centuries, for instance, or how different countries organise them.

比如这几世纪以来图书馆是如何变化的,或者不同的国家是如何组织它的。

What do you think, Trudie?

你觉得呢?楚蒂?

TRUDIE: Maybe we should concentrate on this country, and try and relate the changes in libraries to external developments, like the fact that far more people can read than a century ago, and that the local population may speak lots of different languages.

楚蒂:或许咱们应该专注于本国的事情,并且将图书馆的变化和外部的发展联系起来,比如如今阅读的人数比上世纪要多很多,以及许多的当地人已经可以讲很多不同的语言。

STEWART: We could include something about changes in the source of funding, too.

斯图尔特:我们还可以总结一些关于其资金来源的事情。

TRUDIE: Yes, but remember we're only supposed to write a short paper, so it's probably best if we don't go into funding in any detail.

楚蒂: 是的,但是你要记着咱们要写的是一篇短论文,所以我们最好不要深入研究关于筹集资金方面的任何细节。

STEWART: Right. Well, shall we just brainstorm a few ideas, to get started?

斯图尔特:好的。咱们来头脑风暴一下吧,想几个可以着手开始研究的观点怎么样?

TRUDIE: OK. We obviously need to look at the impact of new technology, particularly the internet.

楚蒂:好的。很明显咱们需要研究一下新型科技所带来的影响,尤其是互联网。

Now that lots of books have been digitalised, people can access them from their own computers at home.

现在很多书籍都被电子化了,人们可以在家里使用电脑阅读这些书记。

STEWART: And if everyone did that, libraries would be obsolete.

斯图尔特:然而如果每个人都这样做,图书馆就会不复存在了。

TRUDIE: Yes.

楚蒂:是的。

STEWART: But the digitalised books that are available online for free are mostly out of copyright, aren't they?

斯图尔特:但是网上那些免费的电子书籍大部分是没有版权的,不是吗?

And copyright in this country lasts for 70 years after the author dies.

在我们国家版权在作者去世后能持续七十年。

So you won't find the latest best-seller or up-to-date information.

所以我们无法找到某些畅销书籍的最新版本,或者跟新信息后的版本了。

TRUDIE: That's an important point.

楚蒂:这是个很重要的点。

Anyway, I find it hard to concentrate when I'm reading a long text on a screen.

但是我发现我在屏幕上阅读长文章时我是无法集中注意力的。

I'd much rather read a physical book.

我跟喜欢阅读实体书。

And it takes longer to read on a screen.

并且,阅读电子书花费的时间更长。

STEWART: Oh, I prefer it.

斯图尔特:噢,我倒是更喜欢电子书。

I suppose it's just a personal preference.

我想这就是个人偏好的问题了吧。

TRUDIE: Mm. I expect that libraries will go on evolving in the next few years.

楚蒂:嗯。我倒是希望图书馆在后几年的时间里可以再继续发展一下。

Some have already become centres where community activities take place, like local clubs meeting there.

部分图书馆已经成为了社区活动中心了,比如当地的俱乐部集会。

I think that'll become even more common.

我觉得这应该会变得更普遍吧。

STEWART: I'd like to think so, and that they'll still be serving their traditional function, but I'm not so sure.

斯图尔特:我也是这么认为的。它们将会继续以它们传统的功能服务于大众,但是我并不是很确定这个想法。

There are financial implications, after all.

毕竟涉及到资金问题。

What I'm afraid will happen is that books and magazines will all disappear, and there'll just be rows and rows of computers.

我担心的事情是有一天,书籍和杂志都会消失,剩下的只有一排又一排的电脑。

They won't look anything like the libraries we're used to.

它们不再会是我们熟悉的样子。

TRUDIE: Well, we'll see.

楚蒂:哎,再看吧。

TRUDIE: I've just had an idea.

楚蒂:我有个想法。

Why don't we make an in-depth study of our local public library as background to our paper?

我们为什么不把对我们当地图书馆的深入调查当作我们论文的蓝本呢?

STEWART: Yes, that'd be interesting, and raise all sorts of issues.

斯图尔特:好主意,这个应该会很有趣,我们可以提出所有方面的问题。

Let's make a list of possible things we could ask about, then work out some sort of structure.

我们来做一个我们可能会问及的问题的列表吧,然后做一个合理的结构出来。

For instance, um, we could interview some of the staff, and find out whether the library has its own budget, or if that's controlled by the local council.

比如,我们可以采访一些里面的员工,弄清楚这个图书馆是不是有自己的预算,还是由当地委员会负责。

TRUDIE: And what their policies are.

楚蒂: 还有图书馆的政策。

I know they don't allow food, but I'd love to find out what types of noise they ban - there always seems to be a lot of talking, but never music.

我知道他们是不允许带食物进去的,但是我更想知道他们禁止的噪音都有什么类型——那里总是有很多人交谈,但从不会允许播放音乐。

I don't know if that's a policy or it just happens.

我不知道这是明文规定还是事情本身如此。

STEWART: Ah, I've often wondered.

斯图尔特:啊,我也一直很好奇。

Then there are things like how the library is affected by employment laws.

然后,还有雇佣条款是如何影响到图书馆本身的。

I suppose there are rules about working hours, facilities for staff, and so on.

我觉得他们对于工作时间,员工使用的设施以及其他东西都应该有规定。

TRUDIE: Right. Then there are other issues relating to the design of the building and how customers use it.

楚蒂:是的。然后还有关于大楼的设计和顾客是如何使用它的相关事项。

Like what measures does the library take to ensure their safety?

比如为了确保顾客的安全图书馆采取了什么措施?

They'd need floor coverings that aren't slippery, and emergency exits, for instance.

比如,它们应该需要防滑的地板,紧急出口。

Oh, and another thing - there's the question of the kind of insurance the library needs to have, in case anyone gets injured.

噢,还有,为了预防人们受伤,图书馆有什么样的保险措施?

STEWART: Yes, that's something else to find out.

斯图尔特:是的,这些也是我们要搞清楚的。

You know something I've often wondered?

你知道我心里最想知道的事情是什么吗?

TRUDIE: What's that?

楚蒂:是什么?

STEWART: Well, you know they've got an archive of local newspapers going back years?

斯图尔特:你知道他们过去几年弄了一个当地报纸的档案馆吧?

Well, next to it they've got the diary of a well-known politician from the late 19th century.

在档案馆旁边有一个属于以为19世纪晚期的知名政客的日记本。

I wonder why it's there.

我好奇它为何会在那里?

Do you know what his connection was with this area?

你知道这个日记本和这个地区的联系吗?

TRUDIE: No idea. Let's add it to our list of things to find out.

楚蒂:完全不知道。我们把这个加进名单里面吧。

Oh, I've just thought - you know people might ask in the library about local organisations, like sports clubs?

我刚刚想了一下——你知道很多人都会去图书馆询问当地组织的事情吧,比如运动俱乐部什么的。

Well, I wonder if they keep a database, or whether they just look online.

我很好奇他们是不是有一个资料库,还是说他们只是上网查看。

STEWART: Right. I quite fancy finding out what the differences are between a library that's open to the public and one that's part of a museum, for example - they must be very different.

斯图尔特:是的。还有,我很想知道对公众开放的图书馆和博物馆里面的图书馆之间有何区别——它们之间应该有很大的区别吧。

TRUDIE: Mmm. Then something else I'd like to know is …

楚蒂:嗯。我还想了解一下……

上一题

剑12 Test 5 Section 2

下一题

剑12 Test 5 Section 4