A
he was often taken to Denmark.
B
his mother spoke to him in Danish.
C
a number of Danish people visited his family.
A
take a postgraduate course.
B
work in the media.
C
become a translator.
A
Swedish cinema
B
Danish television programmes
C
Scandinavian literature
A
19th century playwrights.
B
the Icelandic sagas.
C
modern Scandinavian novels.
A
a historical overview of the genre.
B
an in-depth analysis of a single writer.
C
a study of the social background to the literature.
SECTION 3
BETH: Oh good morning. You must be James.
贝丝:早上好。你一定是詹姆斯。
I'm Beth Cartwright - please call me Beth.
我是贝丝 卡特莱特——请叫我贝丝。
JAMES: Thank you.
詹姆斯:谢谢。
BETH: Now as this is your first tutorial since you started on the Scandinavian Studies course, I'd like to find out something about you.
贝丝:因为这是你选择斯堪的纳维亚研究课后的第一次辅导课,我想了解一下你的情况。
Why did you decide to take this course?
你为什么选择这门课程呢?
JAMES: Well, my mother is Danish, and although we always lived in England, she used to talk about her home a lot, and that made me want to visit Denmark.
詹姆斯:我的母亲是丹麦人,尽管我们都生活在英格兰。她经常谈论她的家乡,这就使得我想去丹麦看一看。
We hardly ever did, though - my mother usually went on her own.
虽然我们几乎没办法一起去——但是我母亲通常独自去。
But whenever her relations or friends were in England they always came to see us.
但是无论何时,他的亲戚朋友到英格兰来,他们都会来看看我们。
BETH: I see. So I assume you already speak Danish, one of the languages you'll be studying.
贝丝:我明白了。所以我猜你已经会说丹麦语了,你正在学习的语言之一。
JAMES: I can get by when I talk to people, though I'm not terribly accurate.
詹姆斯:虽然我讲的不是很准确,但是跟人们谈话的时候还是可以理解的。
BETH: Now you probably know that you'll spend the third year of the course abroad.
贝丝:现在或许你知道你将在第三年出国学习。
Have you had any thoughts about that?
你有什么想法吗?
JAMES: I'm really looking forward to it.
詹姆斯:我真的已经很期待了。
And although Denmark seems the obvious place to go, because of my family connections, I'd love to spend the time in Iceland.
尽管丹麦很明显是我应该去的地方,因为我家庭的原因,但是我也想去冰岛度假。
BETH: Oh, I'm sure it can be arranged.
贝丝:我保证,会安排的。
Do you have any plans for when you graduate?
你有毕业后有什么计划吗?
A lot of students go on to take a master's degree.
很多学生继续攻读硕士学位。
JAMES: I think the four years of the undergraduate course will be enough for me.
詹姆斯:我想四年的本科学业对我来说足够了。
I'm interested in journalism and I quite like the idea of moving to Scandinavia and writing for magazines.
我对新闻学感兴趣,我非常想搬到斯堪的纳维亚,为杂志社写文章。
I'd find that more creative than translating, which I suppose most graduates do.
我认为那会比翻译更有创造力,我猜这也是很多毕业生想做的。
BETH: OK. Now how are you finding the courses you're taking this term, James?
贝丝:好的。你认为这学期你的课程怎么样,詹姆斯?
JAMES: Well, I'm really enjoying the one on Swedish cinema.
詹姆斯:嗯,我非常喜欢瑞典电影学的课程。
BETH: That'll continue next term, but the one on Scandinavian literature that's running at the moment will be replaced by more specialised courses.
贝丝: 那个课程下学期也会继续,但是现在开设的斯堪的纳维亚文学将会被更多的专业课代替。
Oh, and by the way, if you're interested in watching Danish television programmes - there's going to be a course on that the term after next.
噢,顺便说一下,如果你喜欢看丹麦电视节目——在下下学期会有一门关于它的课程。
JAMES: That sounds good.
詹姆斯:听起来不错。
BETH: Have you started thinking about the literature paper that you have to write in the next few weeks?
贝丝:你开始考虑几周以后要写的文学论文了吗?
JAMES: Yes, my first choice would be to do something on the Icelandic sagas.
詹姆斯:是的,我的首选是写冰岛传说。
BETH: Hmm. The trouble with that is that a lot of people choose that topic, and it can be difficult to get hold of the books you'll need.
贝丝:嗯。问题是很多人都选了那个主题,所以要拿到你需要的书籍会比较困难。
Why not leave that for another time?
为什么不留给下次尝试呢?
JAMES: Right.
詹姆斯:好的。
BETH: You might find modern novels or 19th century playwrights interesting.
贝丝:你会发现现代小说或者19世纪剧作家的主题非常有意思。
JAMES: I've read or seen several plays in translation, so that would be a good idea.
詹姆斯:我已经读过或看过一些翻译的戏剧,所以这是个好主意。
BETH: Fine. I'll put you down for that topic.
贝丝:好的。我会把你这个话题记下来的。
JAMES: Right. So what would you advise me to aim at in the paper?
詹姆斯:好的。所以您建议我论文的主旨是什么呢?
BETH: First I suggest you avoid taking one writer and going into a great deal of detail.
贝丝:首先,我建议你避免只谈论一位作者然后给出大量细节。
That approach certainly has its place, but I think you first need to get an understanding of the literature in the context of the society in which it was produced - who it was written for, how it was published, and so on.
那种方法当然也会有他的优点,但是我认为首先你需要理解文学作品在创作时的社会环境——作品是写给谁的,是如何出版的等等。
I also think that's more fruitful than placing it within the history of the genre.
此外,我认为这会比把作品放到文学流派的发展历史中讨论更富有成效。
JAMES: OK, that sounds reasonable.
詹姆斯:好的,听起来很有道理。
JAMES: Could I ask for some advice about writing the paper I'm working on about the Vikings?
詹姆斯:您可以给我一点建议吗,关于我正在写的论文,有关维京人的。
I have to do that this week, and I'm a bit stuck.
我必须要在这周内完成,我遇到点困难。
BETH: Of course. Have you decided yet what to write about?
贝丝:当然。你已经决定好要写什么了吗?
JAMES: No, I haven't.
詹姆斯:不,没有。
There's so much that seems interesting - Viking settlement in other countries, trade, mythology...
有太多有感兴趣的话题了——维京人定居其他国家,贸易,神话……
BETH: Well, what I suggest is that you read an assignment a student wrote last year, which is kept in the library.
贝丝:好的,我的建议是你读一篇去年学生写的作业,可以在图书馆找到。
It's short and well focused, and I'm sure you'll find it helpful.
文章简洁并且要点集中,我保证你会觉得很有帮助。
I'll give you the details in a moment.
我一会儿给你一些细节。
Textbooks usually cover so many topics, it can be very difficult to choose just one.
课本上通常会包含很多话题,从中选择一个会非常困难。
JAMES: OK. I've got a DVD of the film about the Vikings that came out earlier this year.
詹姆斯:好的。我有一张光盘,是关于维京人的电影,是今年早期出版的。
Should I watch that again?
我应该再看一遍吗?
BETH: If it's the one I am thinking of, hmm, I'd ignore it - it's more fantasy than reality.
贝丝:如果是我想的那种,额,就不用看了——那个比事实更虚幻一些。
But I've got a recording of a documentary that you should watch.
但是我有一套纪录片,你应该看一下。
It makes some interesting and provocative points, which I think will help you to focus your topic.
里面有一些有趣的,和激进的观点,我相信会帮助你聚焦你的话题。
JAMES: Right.
詹姆斯:好的。
JAMES: So then should I work out an outline?
詹姆斯:所以我应该列提纲吗?
BETH: Yes. Just headings for different sections, at this stage.
贝丝:是的。只是把每个部分的标题列一下就行了,就到这个程度就可以。
And then you should start looking for suitable articles and books to draw on, and take notes which you organise according to those headings.
然后你应该开始寻找合适的文章和书籍借鉴参考,记笔记。根据那些标题组织内容。
JAMES: I see.
詹姆斯:我明白了。
BETH: Then put short phrases and sentences as bullet points under each heading.
贝丝:然后在每个标题下列出短语和句子作为要点。
Make sure that this skeleton makes sense and flows properly, before writing up the paper in full.
确保提纲有意义并且行文流畅,接下来在完整的写全文。
JAMES: OK. Thanks, that's very helpful.
詹姆斯:好的。谢谢,非常有帮助。
上一题
剑12 Test 6 Section 2下一题
剑12 Test 6 Section 4