A
crime.
B
housing.
C
unemployment.
A
conference centres
B
sports centres
C
retail centres
A
have unexpected costs.
B
damage the urban environment.
C
destroy valuable historical buildings.
A
daily collections for waste recycling.
B
sustainable energy use.
C
free transport for everyone.
A
what its objectives were.
B
why there was opposition to it.
C
how much of it has actually been built.
PART 3
ROSIE: COLIN, I'm really struggling to think of a topic for our human geography assignment.
罗茜:科林,我真的很难为我们的人类地理作业想出一个主题。
COLIN: Me too, Rosie. I'll tell you what, let's think about the different aspects of human geography, and see if we can narrow the topic down a bit to help us decide.
科林:我也是,罗茜。这样吧,让我们考虑一下人类地理学的不同方面,看看我们能不能把主题缩小一些,帮助我们做出决定。
ROSIE: OK. So one aspect is population.
罗茜:好的,那么其中一个方面是人口。
That would be all about population density and migration and so on.
那就全是关于人口密度和迁移等等的问题了。
Lots of facts and statistics … Maybe a bit boring?
很多事实和统计数据...... 也许有点无聊?
COLIN: Yeah, but quite straightforward to find on the internet.
科林:是啊,不过在网上查起来很简单。
ROSIE: Suppose so. How about health?
罗茜:好吧,那么健康呢?
I'd never thought about the links between that and geography until Professor Lee gave us that lecture on cholera.
我从未想过这与地理之间的联系,直到李教授给我们上了那堂关于霍乱的课。
How in the nineteenth century a physician used street plans and plans of water supplies to find the source of a cholera epidemic.
在 19 世纪,一位医生如何利用街道规划和供水规划来寻找霍乱疫情的源头。
COLIN: Yes – fascinating, wasn't it? Or we could do something more general – like economies.
科林:是的 —— 很有趣,不是吗?或者我们可以做一些更普遍的事情 —— 比如经济学。
ROSIE: So how financial and commercial factors are linked to the physical environment?
罗茜:那么,经济和商业因素是如何与物理环境联系在一起的呢?
COLIN: Yeah.
科林:是的。
ROSIE: I thought that had been taken off the syllabus for this year.
罗西:我以为今年的课程大纲里已经把这一条删掉了。
COLIN: Has it?
科林:是吗?
ROSIE: I'm not sure. But it might be best to avoid it.
罗茜:我不确定。不过最好还是避开它。
COLIN: OK. Maybe we could do something on culture.
科林:好吧,也许我们可以在文化方面做点什么。
We had that lecture about culture and geography last week.
上周我们上了一堂关于文化和地理的课。
ROSIE: I didn't get much out of that.
罗茜:我没从中学到什么。
It was all so general and the lecturer didn't give any useful examples.
这一切都太笼统了,讲师也没有给出任何有用的例子。
COLIN: Yeah, I hardly took any notes, it didn't seem worth it.
科林:是啊,我几乎没做什么笔记,因为似乎不值得。
ROSIE: Me neither.
罗茜:我也是。
COLIN: We could focus on poverty.
科林:我们可以关注贫困问题。
That's something that's a global problem …
这是一个全球性的问题......
ROSIE: The trouble is, Dr Lee was saying, that you have to be careful with some of the figures relating to poverty – they're sometimes deliberately manipulated.
罗西:问题在于,李博士正在说,你必须小心处理一些与贫困相关的数据 —— 它们有时会被故意操纵。
COLIN: You mean the information gets changed for political reasons?
科林:你是说这些信息是出于政治原因而被篡改的?
ROSIE: That sort of thing, yes.
罗西:是的,差不多就是这样。
ROSIE: So what are we going to do our assignment on? I'll tell you what, one of the possibilities we haven't discussed is urbanisation.
罗西:那么我们的任务是什么呢?我来告诉你吧,我们还没有讨论过的一个可能性是城市化。
And now over half the world's population lives in cities, that's really important.
现在世界上超过一半的人口生活在城市里,这真的很重要。
COLIN: OK, good idea, Rosie. Let's do that.
科林:好的,好主意,罗茜。我们就这么做吧。
ROSIE: I love living in a big city, but of course there are problems.
罗茜:我喜欢住在大城市里,但当然也有一些问题。
COLIN: Things like theft and robbery?
科林:比如偷窃和抢劫之类的事情?
ROSIE: Yes, but where I come from, that's linked to another more serious issue, which is that a lot of people don't have jobs.
罗茜:是的,但在我来的地方,这与另一个更严重的问题有关,那就是很多人没有工作。
That's getting worse and worse.
情况正在越来越糟糕。
And we also still have quite a lot of people who are homeless, though that's not quite so bad as it was.
我们仍然有相当多的人无家可归,尽管这并不像以前那么糟糕。
COLIN: It'd be nice to talk about some positive developments.
科林:要是能谈谈一些积极的发展就好了。
Like some of the new developments on the outskirts of cities.
就像城市郊区的一些新发展一样。
ROSIE: Yeah. They've opened some massive new shopping centres outside my city.
罗茜:是的,他们在我们城市外开设了一些大型新购物中心。
COLIN: Yeah, the same with mine – but it's meant a lot of the shops in the city centre are closing down.
科林:是的,我的也是这样 —— 但这意味着市中心的许多商店正在关闭。
But the outskirts are ideal for buildings that need a lot of space, like for conferences.
但是郊区对于需要大量空间的建筑来说是理想的,比如用于会议。
They've opened a couple of big ones.
他们开了几家大店。
ROSIE: Yes, we've got some too.
罗茜:是的,我们也有一些。
It'd be nicer to have more facilities for things like football too.
如果能有更多像足球这样的设施就更好了。
But that's not happening where I live.
但在我住的地方,这种情况并不常见。
COLIN: Same in my area.
科林:在我的地区也是如此。
ROSIE: We could include something about developing disused industrial sites.
罗茜:我们可以加入一些关于开发废弃工业场地的内容。
It seems like a good idea, because you're not doing any harm to the natural environment.
这似乎是个好主意,因为你不会对自然环境造成任何损害。
COLIN: Yeah, but aren't the buildings architecturally significant?
科林:是的,但这些建筑难道不具有建筑学意义吗?
ROSIE: Not really. And what people forget is that they often used quite dangerous materials – chemicals and things – which haven't been properly cleared away, so the whole site has to be made safe.
罗茜:不完全是。人们忘记的是,他们经常使用相当危险的材料 —— 化学品和其他东西 —— 这些东西还没有被妥善清理,所以必须确保整个场地的安全。
COLIN: Mm. That can't be cheap. And I bet it's often not budgeted for.
科林:嗯,那可不便宜。而且我敢打赌,这通常不在预算之内。
ROSIE: You're right.
罗西:你说得对。
COLIN: Have you read about Masdar City?
科林:你读过马斯达尔市的资料吗?
ROSIE: In Abu Dhabi? Yes, it was designed to be a green city, wasn't it?
罗西:在阿布扎比?是的,它被设计成一个绿色城市,不是吗?
That might be a good example of a city which set out to depend entirely on renewable energy.
这可能是一个完全依赖可再生能源的城市的典型例子。
COLIN: Yes, we should say something about that.
科林:是的,我们应该对此说点什么。
It was designed to be totally pedestrianised too, wasn't it, with the transport underground.
它也被设计成完全步行化的,不是吗?交通工具都在地下。
ROSIE: Yes, and they had big plans for recycling to reduce waste to the lowest possible level.
罗茜:是的,他们还制定了大规模的回收计划,旨在将废物减少到尽可能低的水平。
But let's stick to talking about power sources.
但让我们继续谈论电力来源。
COLIN: Then there's that ecotown in England, Greenhill Abbots.
科林:然后是英格兰的那个生态小镇,格林希尔修道院。
It set out to conform to the usual principles – sustainability and so on.
它开始遵循常规原则 —— 可持续发展等等。
A lot of people were against it at first; they said the plans were unrealistic.
起初,很多人都反对;他们说这些计划不切实际。
I'm not sure how far they've got with it – I'll check.
我不确定他们在这方面进展如何 —— 我会去查看的。
ROSIE: Right. So it looks as …
罗茜:好的。所以看起来......
上一题
剑20 Test 2 Part 2下一题
剑20 Test 2 Part 4