You use not with verbs to form negative statements.
The sanctions are not working the way they were intended.
制裁没有像他们原本打算的那样奏效。
I don't trust my father anymore.
我再也不相信我父亲了。
You use not to form questions to which you expect the answer 'yes'.
Haven't they got enough problems there already?
难道他们那里的问题还不够多吗?
Didn't I see you at the party last week?
难道我在上周的聚会上没见到你吗?
You use not, usually in the form n't, in questions which imply that someone should have done something, or to express surprise that something is not the case.
Why didn't you do it months ago?
为什么你几个月前不做呢?
Why couldn't he listen to her?
为什么他不能听她的话?
You use not, usually in the form n't, in question tags after a positive statement.
It's crazy, isn't it?
这真是疯了,不是吗?
I've been a great husband, haven't I?
我一直是个很不错的丈夫,不是吗?
You use not, usually in the form n't, in polite suggestions.
Actually we do have a position in mind. Why don't you fill out our application?
实际上我们确实在考虑设一个职位。你为什么不填一下我们的申请表呢?
You use not to represent the negative of a word, group, or clause that has just been used.
'Have you found Paula?'—'I'm afraid not, Kate.'
“你找到葆拉了吗?” “恐怕还没有,凯特。”
You can use not in front of 'all' or 'every' when you want to say something that applies only to some members of the group that you are talking about.
Not all the money, to put it mildly, has been used wisely.
说得好听点,并非所有的钱都花得很合理。
If something is not always the case, you mean that sometimes it is the case and sometimes it is not.
He didn't always win the arguments, but he often was right.
他并非总是在辩论中获胜,但他常常是正确的。
She couldn't always afford a babysitter.
她并非总能雇得起一名临时保姆。
You can use not or not even in front of 'a' or 'one' to emphasize that there is none at all of what is being mentioned.
no office, no phone, not even a shelf on which to put my meagre belongings.
没有办公室,没有电话,甚至连个用来摆放我寥寥无几的物品的架子也没有。
I sent report after report. But not one word was published.
我寄了一篇又一篇的报告,但一个字也没有发表。
You can use not in front of a word referring to a distance, length of time, or other amount to say that the actual distance, time, or amount is less than the one mentioned.
The tug crossed our stern not fifty yards away.
那艘拖船与我们的船尾错过,相距不到50码。
a large crowd not ten yards away waiting for a bus.
不到10码远的地方有一大群等公共汽车的人。
You use not when you are contrasting something that is true with something that is untrue. You use this especially to indicate that people might think that the untrue statement is true.
He has his place in the Asian team not because he is white but because he is good.
他在亚洲队有一席之地,不是因为他是白人而是因为他很出色。
Training is an investment not a cost.
培训是一种投资而不是一种花费。
You use not in expressions such as 'not only', 'not just', and 'not simply' to emphasize that something is true, but it is not the whole truth.
These films were not only making money; they were also perceived to be original.
这些电影不仅赚钱,而且还被认为具有原创性。
What's it going to cost us, not just in terms of money, but in terms of lives?
它将让我们付出什么代价,不仅在钱的方面,而且还在生命安全方面?
not at all
Not at all is an emphatic way of saying 'No' or of agreeing that the answer to a question is 'No'.
'Sorry. I sound like Abby, don't I?'—'No. Not at all.'
“抱歉。我听上去像阿比,是吗?” “不,一点都不像。”
Not at all is a polite way of acknowledging a person's thanks.
'Thank you very much for speaking with us.'—'Not at all.'
“非常感谢您与我们交谈。” “不客气。”
not that
You use not that to introduce a negative clause that contradicts something that the previous statement implies.
His death took me a year to get over; not that you're ever really over it.
我用了一年的时间才慢慢接受了他去世的事实,但其实你永远也不可能真正释怀。