die out
If something dies out, it becomes less and less common and eventually disappears completely.
We used to believe that capitalism would soon die out.
我们曾以为资本主义很快会消亡。
If something such as a fire or wind dies out, it gradually stops burning or blowing.
Once the fire has died out, the salvage team will move in.
火一旦熄灭,抢救队就会进去。
to die for
If you say that something is to die for, you mean that you want it or like it very much.
It may be that your property has a stunning view, or perhaps it has a kitchen or bathroom to die for.
也许是你的房子周围有极漂亮的景色,也许是房子的厨房和卫生间太令人喜爱。
die hard
If you say that habits or attitudes die hard, you mean that they take a very long time to disappear or change, so that it may not be possible to get rid of them completely.
Old habits die hard.
旧习难改。
dies , dying , died
When people, animals, and plants die, they stop living.
A year later my dog died.
1年后,我的狗死了。
Sadly, both he and my mother died of cancer.
令人悲伤的是,他和我母亲都死于癌症。
I would die a very happy person if I could stay in music my whole life.
如果我这一生都能生活在音乐之中,就是死,我也会死得快乐。
If a machine or device dies, it stops completely, especially after a period of working more and more slowly or inefficiently.
Then suddenly, the engine coughed, spluttered, and died.
突然,发动机发出喀喀声、噼啪声,然后就熄火了。
You can say that you are dying of thirst, hunger, boredom, or curiosity to emphasize that you are very thirsty, hungry, bored, or curious.
Order me a soft drink, I'm dying of thirst.
给我要杯汽水,我快渴死了。
You can say that you are dying for something or are dying to do something to emphasize that you very much want to have it or do it.
I'm dying for a breath of fresh air.
我真想呼吸点新鲜空气。
You can use die in expressions such as 'I almost died' or 'I'd die if anything happened' where you are emphasizing your feelings about a situation, for example, to say that it is very shocking, upsetting, embarrassing, or amusing.
I nearly died when I read what she'd written about me.
看到她对我的描述,我差点没死。
I nearly died of shame.
我羞愧得要命。
I thought I'd die laughing.
我以为我要笑死了。